Please Modify The Heatpenalty Of Light Gauss/ Light Ppc's To 5 Or 6

6 replies to this topic

#1 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

I'm serious; Light PPC's and Light Gauss Rifles are seriously hindered because they share the same heat penalty as standard or heavy versions. But why? I'd be better off using 2 regular Gauss Rifles, Or 3 PPC's. Then using any combination of Light Gauss Rifles And/Or Light PPC's.

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:02 PM

Actually, they don't share quite the same GH (Ghost Heat) Penalty. If you're only carrying a combination of Light PPCs and/or Light Gauss, you can very likely get away with firing three of those before any serious GH Penalties occur. Just look at the table @ https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale to see what I'm talking about. You'll find that until you hit four of a combination of Light PPC and/or Light Gauss within 0.55 seconds, you should be able to virtually ignore the GH Penalty system that's in place now. Just try not to hit 5 of them at once, okay? :)

By the way, it takes 4 Light PPCs to trigger any kind of GH Penalty on their own. They benefit from balancing providing increased limits for that specific weapon, in order to keep it viable versus other weapons. ^_^

~D. V. "Follow the link, have a read... I think you'll be enlightened." Devnull

[Edit by Post Author for reflow and clarity issues.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 05 June 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#3 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Heck, 4x Light Gauss at once still only gives 4.44 heat... That's negligible for any mech that's running with that many. (assaults) Not that that is a truly effective loadout or anything.

#4 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, the first thing I expected is a defense. I'm going to tell you that I knew that fully well beforehand. I have even designed a delayed final shot; to have a reduced heat penalty. I'm still going to have a better time with 2 Gauss Rifles.

I'm running 2 LGR's and 2 LPPC's

...And I'm still complaining. I want to be able to shoot all 4 without having my heat jump to 50%. The heat penalty, for shooting 4 should be the penalty for firing 3; which brings my heat to about 25%. Which I think is a much more reasonable heat penalty.

But whatever, maybe it's just better for all of you to keep your opinions. I'm a little reluctant to debate this, since such things don't really accomplish a whole lot in my experience. Or at least not as much as I'd like to.

Edited by Livaria, 06 June 2018 - 10:37 PM.

#5 D V Devnull

• 4,268 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

View PostLivaria, on 06 June 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

Yeah, the first thing I expected is a defense. I'm going to tell you that I know that fully well. And I'm still complaining. I want to be able to shoot 4 without having my heat jump to 50%. The heat penalty, for shooting 4 should be the penalty for firing 3.

I have even designed a delayed final shot. to have a reduced heat penalty. I'm still going to have a better time with 2 gauss rifles.

Could you PLEASE show us your Mech's configuration? I'm having a really hard time believing your Mech hitting 50% Heat, assuming you're only using Light Gauss /w Light PPC in your design. It should maybe hit 25% at the most, given my memory of how the Heat Meter works, and the general 50-Point Baseline. Now if you're trying to use Light Gauss with Normal PPC or bigger, or perhaps trying to mix Light PPC with Normal Gauss or bigger, then your design is falling outside what might have been thought to be the case here. At that point, you're dealing with something PGI absolutely must avoid changing for Balancing Reasons. There are Anti-Abuse and Anti-OverPower Reasons for the hard limit on the bigger PPC and bigger Gauss, and PGI has it all linked together in one penalty group in order to avoid people circumventing Ghost Heat on the bigger weaponry. :o

EDIT :: I just re-read and noticed what PGI set the Penalty to on the 4th Light PPC over at Smurfy's Table Of Info... You might want to watch what you shoot a bit more, albeit that what's displayed there seems a little aggressive. Something tells me that PGI was trying to avoid Light PPC/Gauss Weapons "out-DPS'ing" their bigger cousins. :(

~D. V. "You really have me curious as to what you threw in there now." Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 06 June 2018 - 10:44 PM.

#6 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:53 PM

Sure, I'm not exaggerating. It'll have to be a moment though while I get things together.

EDIT: Here you go.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...22631156b8f4895

Edited by Livaria, 06 June 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#7 D V Devnull

• 4,268 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

View PostLivaria, on 06 June 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Sure, I'm not exaggerating. It'll have to be a moment though while I get things together.

EDIT: Here you go.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...22631156b8f4895

Okay, I see what's going on there. It looks, however, like PGI was a little bit over-zealous with the GHPM (Ghost Heat Penalty Multiplier)... I think I can agree that a change on PGI's part is needed. However, it should not happen with the GHTN (Ghost Heat Trigger Number), but instead with the GHPM. Basically, they're effectively adding the Heat of 2 Extra 'Light PPC's on the 'Light PPC' GHPM right off the bat, where it seems to me that they should only add just the Heat of 1 Extra on the Initial GHTN. This causes me to want some info from PGI as to why they're hitting so hard on the 4th simultaneous 'Light PPC' firing. Thankfully, the GHTN and GHPM are two separate variables, so it should be possible for the nuts at PGI to actually fix this. :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "You're right, this isn't making sense... But, a slightly different fix is needed than your original idea." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users