Missile Launcher Hatch? Is It A Disadvantage For Some Mechs?

13 replies to this topic

#1 clop1000

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

I am puzzled - there is a feature - missile launcher hatch (You press "/" key and it opens), and you start to fire misses faster (there is no additional pause between shots, waiting to this hats to close and open), but you become more vulnerable to enemy fire (I've heard it is something about 20 percent reduction in armor and structure on this particular part of the mech).

But if I am correct - this feature puts some mechs in the obvious disadvantage, ironically those mechs that are most dependent on missiles mechs - catapults and timber wolfs, without adding any benefits.

So - am i correct about this?
That it only make an impedance for some mechs - catapult.
For other mechs this feature do nothing - trebuchet (and their rate of fire equals rate of fire of the catapult with open hatches)
It seems really one-sided...

What is the exact amount of armor/structure reduction with open hatches and what are benefits of it (rate of fire)?

Edited by clop1000, 05 June 2018 - 10:52 PM.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:56 PM

yes catapults get damage reduction of 205 with the doors closed. As a big cat user the damage reduction with the doors closed is nice. I haven't noticed the doors/missile boxes taking more damage when left open-up. Open you get about a half second sooner fire. I have all the math and such in a notebook I'll have to find later.

when I go lrm-ing i prefer to leave the doors closed. When I've got solid locks and/or the match is in the start of the brawl phrase I'll manually keep them open for the small dps increase. Catapults,especially the lrm ones, are tanky as hell when you torso twist and have the doors closed.

Found this old thread which has a lot more info. https://mwomercs.com...bay-doors-work/

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:01 PM

Was going to answer the questions here, but turns out the thread the guy above linked has me answering the question there.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:49 AM

View Postclop1000, on 05 June 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

I am puzzled - there is a feature - missile launcher hatch (You press "/" key and it opens), and you start to fire misses faster (there is no additional pause between shots, waiting to this hats to close and open), but you become more vulnerable to enemy fire (I've heard it is something about 20 percent reduction in armor and structure on this particular part of the mech).

Missile hatch when closed will give you +20% damage reduction. Opening it will revert it to the original armor value. Ballistic hatch like that of Krab gives +10% damage reduction when closed, but without firing delay.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 June 2018 - 01:50 AM.

#5 clop1000

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:49 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 05 June 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

yes catapults get damage reduction of 205 with the doors closed. As a big cat user the damage reduction with the doors closed is nice. I haven't noticed the doors/missile boxes taking more damage when left open-up. Open you get about a half second sooner fire. I have all the math and such in a notebook I'll have to find later.

when I go lrm-ing i prefer to leave the doors closed. When I've got solid locks and/or the match is in the start of the brawl phrase I'll manually keep them open for the small dps increase. Catapults,especially the lrm ones, are tanky as hell when you torso twist and have the doors closed.

Found this old thread which has a lot more info. https://mwomercs.com...bay-doors-work/

Yep) Even your location suggest that you are an avid catapult pilot☻

But what other mechs have this feature? And what is their default state? (do they have such pause before missle launch)
You've meant that catapult with closed hatches gets an armor increase.Increase to a default stats/.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:12 AM

View Postclop1000, on 06 June 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

You've meant that catapult with closed hatches gets an armor increase.Increase to a default stats/.

It's not an increase as there is none on other mechs.
What it does is literally add an armor state which blocks 20% of the incoming damage. How much that helps you depends on what's being fired at you.

As far as other mechs which have this.
King Crab, Archer, Centurion used to have it, but then they "uglyfied" it and removed that, Vindicator was supposed to have them, but they chose to give it those ugly holes instead.

Old Centurion model flaps:
Posted Image

Vindicator concept art missile door:
Posted Image

#7 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

View Postclop1000, on 06 June 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

Yep) Even your location suggest that you are an avid catapult pilot☻

But what other mechs have this feature? And what is their default state? (do they have such pause before missle launch)

The Catapults minus the K2 and Jester have their doors closed by default. Poster above this shows more mechs with missile doors. There might be a few more. Yeah it is an increase to default stats when the doors are closed. Inadition to this you can add mech quirks and skill tree nodes. Getting all armor hardening skills will give you about 15% more armor.

https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

Stalker, Archer, Catapult, Kintaro, and Hellspawn have missile bay doors. King Crab and Crab have ballistic/energy bay doors.

#9 clop1000

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Is there a way to see if hatches are open or not?
I can't find any led indicator or something like that inside a cockpit.

Are remembering and using a external view (F3) only possibly ways?

#10 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

It would be great if the Fafnir had closable Iris valve doors over its torso mounts. Ii would finally make those big round torsos make sense.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

What is the exact amount of armor/structure reduction with open hatches and what are benefits of it (rate of fire)?

When the hatch is open, you have the same armor as when the hatch is closed.

When it is closed, you have a 20% damage RESISTANCE. This is similar to the 60% damage resistance when you lose a side torso and are shot in the same side torso, where 60% of the damage is removed (if you're hit with an AC/20 and take 20 damage, 60% of it is removed and the remaining 40%, or 8 damage, is then transferred to the center torso).

So when the body part is hit while the door is closed by said AC/20, you'll actually take 16 damage instead.

View Postclop1000, on 06 June 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

Tiny light that is either Red (broken), yellow (Open) or Green (closed). Could be yellow if closed and green if open.

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

View Postclop1000, on 06 June 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

Another way which only works with the missile catapults is to look at your mech's shadow. Open you can see the missile door shadow is detached from the rest of your mech's shadow.

For king crabs left control and look out your cockpit from inside then hit the / key. You can see the claw raise and lower.

#13 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

This button also works on the Kodiak for extending and retracting the claws.

#14 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

But if I am correct - this feature puts some mechs in the obvious disadvantage, ironically those mechs that are most dependent on missiles mechs - catapults and timber wolfs, without adding any benefits.

Like others have said, it's not an armor/DR penalty. It's like... having to choose between a damage reduction + firing delay, or no damage reduction and no firing delay.

The biggest disadvantage in my mind is the silhouette you have with the doors open on some mechs, like the Archer. It's like a giant roadside sign with an arrow that says "THERE'S AN ARCHER BEHIND THIS HILL!" Trying to peek for locks with those doors open is going to draw fire like you wouldn't believe (especially on maps like Polar). And with the cockpit so low, your torso hitboxes will be visible when peeking for locks long enough for the good players to punish you for it. I'd take ST damage so regularly that I thought the ears were actually part of the ST hitboxes for longer than I'd like to admit. You can try to peek with the doors closed, but you're still losing 0.5s from the time you fire. But at least the Archer has armor quirks now...

https://mwomercs.com...archer-cockpit/

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users