Black Lanner Only Viable Build

20 replies to this topic

#1 PeterCarpetBeater

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

The Black Lanner is generally not loved by the community, but maybe this is a nice build after all:

#2 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

Blacklanner look cool, why it's so hated ? too big?

#3 PeterCarpetBeater

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 07 June 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

Lack of tonnage to spend on weapons/heat sinks etc

#4 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 07 June 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

Insufficient space to hold guns. If you give it max armor and ECM, it has 10 tons available for weapons and heatsinks. The extra speed isn't worth the sacrifice in available tonnage. The Linebacker already covers this roll better,

#5 Nean

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

Yes, but it's a medium mech that can also fill the role and is cheaper. Besides, it should be how fun the mmech is, not how "meta" it is.

#6 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

Yea an issue with this mech is the limited pod space, and the inclusion of MASC taking up so much space. When used right you can make it a decent light hunter, or mid range harasser. For me it's Streaks all the way

#7 Darthducker

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

View PostNean, on 10 June 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Yes, but it's a medium mech that can also fill the role and is cheaper. Besides, it should be how fun the mmech is, not how "meta" it is.

The problem with the BKL is though, it is not fun. Like at all. this is actually the first time I regret getting the mech and are tempted to sell my 3 chassis. Thank god I only got the standard edition.

#8 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:50 AM

I recently put an ATM 6 and ATM 9 on my lanky lanner and have had some good fun with that .

This build looks interesting , perhaps I will try it out.

#9 Rizzi Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Wolf
  • Hero of Wolf
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

(OKAY NEED HERO FOR THAT)try out a build with 6mg, 1HLL, 2xSRM4,ECM...it is fun, if you know how to use MASC

#10 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

My recommendation would be to try the Lanner with the CERPPC. I have a build that uses one ERPPC and three ERMLs (with ECM). I have it with speed tweak and use it to work my way around the enemy to try to get them to turn around to deal with me (and then I vanish). Use the MASC sparingly to get into position, and abuse it to escape if you need to. MASC is also very useful to duck back into cover after shooting an ERPPC.

I found the Lanner likes the PPC because you can snap a shot off and then MASC back into cover. With lasers, you need to wait for their beam duration to deal damage, so you end up being exposed for too long. If you are brave enough to risk the heat levels (might be less of an issue now, not sure), you can fit two PPCs into it.

Treat the Black Lanner like it's a PPC Shadowcat that moves faster. Or treat it like it's a larger, more armored light mech. (Which is why I prioritize speed tweak over survival for this one.) It's not a bad mech in this role, but I'm not going to say it's a wonderful mech in the game, as it's got it's problems.

Edit: For the patient hunters out there who look for the "perfect assassination", the Lanner can do this reasonably well. Quad HMLs with MGs (I believe four MGs) can be a beast. Especially if you can sneak around behind an enemy mech, shoot your full alpha into their back... You can kill things without them even getting a reaction. If you don't kill it, you should have damaged it well. Then, run off and attempt to do it again.

Gotta be sneaky with this mech for maximum effects in my opinion. Skills in Speed Tweak and ECM nodes.

Edited by Tesunie, 25 October 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#11 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

View PostTesunie, on 25 October 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

My recommendation would be to try the Lanner with the CERPPC. I have a build that uses one ERPPC and three ERMLs (with ECM). I have it with speed tweak and use it to work my way around the enemy to try to get them to turn around to deal with me (and then I vanish). Use the MASC sparingly to get into position, and abuse it to escape if you need to. MASC is also very useful to duck back into cover after shooting an ERPPC.

I found the Lanner likes the PPC because you can snap a shot off and then MASC back into cover. With lasers, you need to wait for their beam duration to deal damage, so you end up being exposed for too long. If you are brave enough to risk the heat levels (might be less of an issue now, not sure), you can fit two PPCs into it.

Treat the Black Lanner like it's a PPC Shadowcat that moves faster. Or treat it like it's a larger, more armored light mech. (Which is why I prioritize speed tweak over survival for this one.) It's not a bad mech in this role, but I'm not going to say it's a wonderful mech in the game, as it's got it's problems.

Edit: For the patient hunters out there who look for the "perfect assassination", the Lanner can do this reasonably well. Quad HMLs with MGs (I believe four MGs) can be a beast. Especially if you can sneak around behind an enemy mech, shoot your full alpha into their back... You can kill things without them even getting a reaction. If you don't kill it, you should have damaged it well. Then, run off and attempt to do it again.

Gotta be sneaky with this mech for maximum effects in my opinion. Skills in Speed Tweak and ECM nodes.

You can already do that with a Viper: Way faster + more reliable speed source, smaller profile and more weapon options.
The only thing it lacks is ECM, but after PGI "tweaks for a better experience: https://youtu.be/JoEzrUZ-bto "
You may as well not take ECM, it'll give the same results, the thing is that once the rest of your team dies and only you as the useless sniper remain, you'll be twice as easy to find giving relief to the other team.

Black Lanner is one of those mech that it's absolute despicable and useless garbage, yet you wanna love because it was way better in previous games and the TT... but just like most of the other hideously bad mechs in this game, it suffers the problem of being a Light mech trapped in the chassis of a 55t mech. Let's just hope that PGI discovers that the Omnimech previous system has left some mechs in shambles and revamp it allowing to change the fixed heatsinks and mask, and some other previous equipment that make certain mechs far worse. #MakeShadowCatsRelevantAgain

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 25 October 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

You can already do that with a Viper: Way faster + more reliable speed source, smaller profile and more weapon options.
The only thing it lacks is ECM, but after PGI "tweaks for a better experience: https://youtu.be/JoEzrUZ-bto "
You may as well not take ECM, it'll give the same results, the thing is that once the rest of your team dies and only you as the useless sniper remain, you'll be twice as easy to find giving relief to the other team.

Black Lanner is one of those mech that it's absolute despicable and useless garbage, yet you wanna love because it was way better in previous games and the TT... but just like most of the other hideously bad mechs in this game, it suffers the problem of being a Light mech trapped in the chassis of a 55t mech. Let's just hope that PGI discovers that the Omnimech previous system has left some mechs in shambles and revamp it allowing to change the fixed heatsinks and mask, and some other previous equipment that make certain mechs far worse. #MakeShadowCatsRelevantAgain

I used my PPC Lanner as a mid ranged mech that turns the enemy around. ECM (with skill nodes unlocked) can be rather helpful with that role. Shoot the PPC, then MASC into cover (FYI: The Viper can't do that as well as the Lanner). Even when I'm not behind the enemy, I can duck in and out of cover quickly with some well timed bursts of MASC (who's greatest strength is increasing accel and decel rates, not top speed). ECM keeps me either under their radar, or at least prevents missiles from locking on between the short exposure times.

I've actually been known to do 500+ damage with my PPC Lanner. Looking at my Lanner A's stats, I've played it for 66 matches, and it's got an average damage per match of 277. As an average damage, I don't think that's all that bad.
Meanwhile, my Viper (which doesn't do PPCs) has dealt 161 damage average per match over the course of 34 matches. For myself, I'm better in my Lanner than I am my Viper.

I'm not going to say the Lanner is "best mech", but it isn't a bad mech either. Most of it is how you use it, and for the role I find it best in, there normally isn't a lot of desire or demand to play that style, and if people do they normally want to do it from much closer (light mechs).

All I'm saying, considering the thread's title, is that the Lanner seems to do very well with PPCs and other fast discharge weapons (such as ACs (can't fit a high enough caliber for my liking), PPCs or even (S)SRMs) due to their ability to duck in and out of cover from the advantages of MASC.

#13 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:30 AM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#14 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#15 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

View PostThroe, on 25 October 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

"Never sell a 'Mech."™

Unless you have several hundred million c-bills lying around. Mech Bays are more valuable to me than c-bills at this point, so if a mech is under performing I'll just sell it and who cares if I lose c-bills on it, I have so many they don't have meaning anymore. If it gets a buff (like the nightstar just did) I'll buy it again and try it again.

#16 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostThroe, on 25 October 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

My average damage per match with my two best 'Mechs are 506 and 493, with 392 and 118 matches played, respectively. I can tell by looking at Jarl's list that your peak season average damage per match is considerably higher than 277. I think these facts combined reinforce the idea that the Black Lanner isn't really that great, at least not the way you're using it.

Admittedly, this ignores kill and survival ratios, which are also a consideration, but average damage is a pretty solid overall indicator regardless.

I could pull out my best too, such as my Huntsmen Prime(S) with average match damage of 448. However, that wasn't the point here. 277 may not be my best average damage dealing mech, but it isn't bad average damage either. I've also got lower average damage too. Even if I had average low damage per match on a "top tier meta mech" wouldn't indicate it's a bad mech.

My point is that the Lanner can be useful, depending upon how you intend to use it. I might want to make note that most of that 277 average damage for my Lanner was produced by a single PPC, with the occasional burst of ERMLs added in when no one is paying attention to me. As a counter point, my Huntsmen I posted ran LRMs, so the builds are too different. For better comparison, I'd have to compare it with my PPC Huntsmen, which seems to do 322 average damage, but that's two PPCs with JJs (jump sniping). (Maybe I should try the Lanner with dual PPCs?)

Last thing I'd want to mention is, if I only ever played "my best mech", I'd probably end up with really bland and stale game play. The Lanner is something different, and it's not horrible either. Personally, I do worse with the Viper in comparison, a mech people often compared the Lanner to. I think it's a mech that's "Good enough", but isn't "The best" either.

#18 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostRizzi Kell, on 25 October 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

(OKAY NEED HERO FOR THAT)try out a build with 6mg, 1HLL, 2xSRM4,ECM...it is fun, if you know how to use MASC

ShadowCat does 6MG, 1HLL, x2 SMR6A, ECM, JumpJets, MASK and even has extra tonnage to change HLL with LPL or add Clan Active Probe.

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 28 October 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

ShadowCat does 6MG, 1HLL, x2 SMR6A, ECM, JumpJets, MASK and even has extra tonnage to change HLL with LPL or add Clan Active Probe.

Has lower speed than the Lanner, but does have JJ as compensation. So slightly different variants of the same build.

#20 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 25 October 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Unless you have several hundred million c-bills lying around. Mech Bays are more valuable to me than c-bills at this point, so if a mech is under performing I'll just sell it and who cares if I lose c-bills on it, I have so many they don't have meaning anymore. If it gets a buff (like the nightstar just did) I'll buy it again and try it again.

Nightstar got buffed ? Where ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users