#21 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 June 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Oh yeah, I forgot a light mechs only other job is screening for other light mechs.

If you haven't guessed, I'm totally against anything that further nerfs the worst performing least played class in the game.

I suspect you don't have a problem nailing lights from max optimal gauss range, not sure why you're advocating making it even easier than it already is.

Edit: BTW, I think you're getting the wrong tone from my posts. Not once did I insult you. My bad if you're getting the wrong vibe.

I've actually played lights quite a lot, though I spend more time in mediums these days. I think I've got some 1.2 million XP accumulated on my JR7-F. The only reason I don't have even more time on lights is that there are so few light chassis available. I'm not one of those LIGHTS OP assault pilots.

I don't think this is necessarily a nerf to light mechs. If you're piloting your lights right, you're not going to give enemy sensors and targeting systems the time to get a bead on you, especially if you also reduce the detection range and target info gathering time for smaller targets. If anything, it would be a buff to light mechs, as you wouldn't be able to get accurate snap-shots on distant light mechs as they move from cover to cover unless you have a UAV or NARC on them or a friendly light chasing them down.

I definitely felt a lot of snark coming from your replies, so I replied in kind. Not the most mature way to handle things, I admit. We cool?

#22 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 11 June 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

I've actually played lights quite a lot, though I spend more time in mediums these days. I think I've got some 1.2 million XP accumulated on my JR7-F. The only reason I don't have even more time on lights is that there are so few light chassis available. I'm not one of those LIGHTS OP assault pilots.

I don't think this is necessarily a nerf to light mechs. If you're piloting your lights right, you're not going to give enemy sensors and targeting systems the time to get a bead on you, especially if you also reduce the detection range and target info gathering time for smaller targets. If anything, it would be a buff to light mechs, as you wouldn't be able to get accurate snap-shots on distant light mechs as they move from cover to cover unless you have a UAV or NARC on them or a friendly light chasing them down.

I definitely felt a lot of snark coming from your replies, so I replied in kind. Not the most mature way to handle things, I admit. We cool?

Yeah man, we cool.

Agree to disagree.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

free convergence is one of those unaccounted for details i doubt factor into pgi's metrics and one of the reasons lasers still overperform.

anyway now that i think about it requiring lock is completely unneccisary. you can determine the 3d lead position, stick an invisible sphere collider around it for every mech in the game, and if your raycast passes one of these colliders your shots are converged at its distance from you. all happens in the background. r not required. good target leading is rewarded. lights might find themselves in a bit of a pickle, but buffs can fix that.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 June 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#24 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 11 June 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Not one for reading comprehension, are you?

Here. I'll break it down for you.

- Fast lights can run from cover to cover because they are fast hard to hit
- Slow lights travel next to bigger mechs because the enemy will shoot the big targets first.

Now was that so hard?

Jup, and therefore you put them into a niche. They can just do drive-by-shooting. Brawling is dead for lights

#25 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostBush Hopper, on 12 June 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Jup, and therefore you put them into a niche. They can just do drive-by-shooting. Brawling is dead for lights

When was the last time brawling was a viable role for light mechs? The Firestarter release? Streak Ravens? Closed beta, before level 2 tech?

If you want a mech that can hold the line in a brawl, bring something heavier. Or maybe bring an Urbie, which is just an undersized medium. This is like assault pilots complaining that they're not fast enough to cap or scout. Know your role and play it.

#26 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 12 June 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

When was the last time brawling was a viable role for light mechs? The Firestarter release? Streak Ravens? Closed beta, before level 2 tech?

Clan MG boats, today...

#27 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 June 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Clan MG boats, today...

I wouldn't really call that brawling, more harassing or hit and run. Brawling generally denotes that you're taking in damage yourself but twisting it away to not die. Clan MG boats really are too lacking on armor to do that and just rely on speed to harass enemies by staying behind them or doing hit and run by hitting the enemy to crit out stuff then running off if things go bad.

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 11 June 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

I've thought about this a while. Assume you only have torso weapons, like one on left and one on right. Can they fully converge? Visually they seem to, but that doesn't make sense, they are fixed to torso right?

They all converge just fine, the guns in their mounts seem to actually have some degrees of free rotation, though its not really shown on their models as moving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users