Pgi, Fix Teamstacks

Balance

13 replies to this topic

#1 Vesper11

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:13 AM

All games I know limit party size when matchmaking, for good reasons. (One sided) matches aren't fun for the side that goes against 12 coordinated players. I see no reason to do this in group queue where people play casually with friends, send those "competitive, organized teams" somewhere else where they can face their equals by limiting group play party size to one lance, playing with 3 friends (not just semi-randoms from unit) is enough and won't affect outcome THAT much.

#Butthurt
#LegalizeAFK

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:31 AM

the problem with group queue is that it doesnt even try to match the group sizes on both teams. It just pieces together two groups of 12 players from whatever groups are available in the queue. and that can result in some really lopsided matchups.

I kindve liked the old group queue system where you had to have group sizes of exactly 4, 8, or 12.

That made it easier for the matchmaker to match you up against similar sized groups.

because you either had a group of 4 and a group of 8 vs another group of 4 and 8 or a group of 12. or you had a 12v12. and you didnt have to worry about having a bunch of 2-3 man groups vs a group of 8-12.

people complained about having to have 4 people to make a group, but I think thats less of a problem than small groups getting stomped by large groups.

Edited by Khobai, 10 June 2018 - 03:42 AM.

#3 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:46 AM

In the days of 8v8 , Sync Dropping of 2 4Men in GroupQ made for a lot of rly interesting Stomps XD .

Nowadays, due to tonnage restrictions, 7+ Teams are gimped oppsed to what 6 2Men can bring .

Ofc a coordinated 12Men can do brutal Stuff, but in the end it comes down to Players at least just as much as the implemented System when Games are too Lopsided . Communication and Coordination being the main culprits here, as in SoloQP . Never ceases to amaze me how people actually expect to win - especially in GroupQ - when they do not even talk to each other...

Edited by Besh, 10 June 2018 - 04:06 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

GQ is so sparsely populated at the moment, I doubt PGI will work on its MM.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:03 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 June 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

Yup.

During most NA evenings, there are 1-2 8ish mans, a few more 4-5 mans, and then a dozen or so 3-2 mans. Occasionally one of the larger groups will be a 12 man, and then often they sync drop as a 5 and 7 to maximize tonnage (and nearly guarantee that they will be together). But regardless, for the most part you are matched with and against the same people all evening. There is a bit more variety on the weekends, with a bit more population playing, but frankly, for a couple hours of play you still see pretty much 8-10 matches of mostly the same folks over and over with a couple odd matches of folks you hadn't seen before. So, don't hold your breath on PGI changing anything in GQ, there is even less population consistently playing it than even CW it would seem.

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:03 AM

I still don't get why PGI won't allow a multi-queue that let's me pick QP or Group and it puts me in whichever priority is highest. The way I see it is the separate queues waste a lot of people's time gaining nothing while they wait.

Let's say Quick Play is the high priority queue. No matter what happens, Quick Play has to happen in a timely manner. Now if we had check boxes for Group Queue, FP, and Solaris alongside that and I check what I want then I do QP all day and randomly between QP matches I get a Group Queue, FP or Solaris match when there are enough people for those modes. No time wasted on my part and people who want to do the less popular modes still get some games in.

It's probably not as simple as it sounds if QP is already hurting, but if everyone is queued to QP by defeault (since they don't want to waste time) then QP should always be going.

#7 Vesper11

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:07 AM

If so few people play GQ (read ded; almost 10m queue times, yea...) why not try mixing them into soloQ then? One lance size limit for groupQ, 7-8 or more pilots are taken from soloQ, 5-4 (3+2 is a bit worse than 4) or less from groupQ, this way you can have one, more coordinated/leading/"elite" lance in a team while the rest provide "support" (or, most likely, the other way around). Doubt it'll affect outcome that much while possibly making matches more interesting and letting soloQueuers learn a bit more about teamplay.

Edited by Vesper11, 10 June 2018 - 06:10 AM.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:16 PM

Throw away this ridiculous eSports mindset, combine solo and group QP queues, and implement N vs. M matchmaking (N <> M) where larger groups get pitted against smaller groups and solos but in greater numbers.

Edited by Mystere, 10 June 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#9 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 June 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

Wait, I don't understand -

All the limits for bigger groups tonnage was going to bring in all the casual +1 crowd of players who were chomping at the bit, beating the door down to come play but wanted restrictions on bigger groups. So bigger groups got restrictions. Huge restrictions; so much so that most the big groups quit playing group queue because it sucks to have everyone in lights and mediums and a heavy or two. Most people don't get to play what they want in a group so that the little casual groups of 2 or 3 could play whatever they wanted and have the board leveled more.

So isn't group queue just full of those small groups? Gosh, I'm so confused.

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 10 June 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Wait, I don't understand -

All the limits for bigger groups tonnage was going to bring in all the casual +1 crowd of players who were chomping at the bit, beating the door down to come play but wanted restrictions on bigger groups. So bigger groups got restrictions. Huge restrictions; so much so that most the big groups quit playing group queue because it sucks to have everyone in lights and mediums and a heavy or two. Most people don't get to play what they want in a group so that the little casual groups of 2 or 3 could play whatever they wanted and have the board leveled more.

So isn't group queue just full of those small groups? Gosh, I'm so confused.

Some big groups break up in two and sync drop in the hopes of being on the same side in same match, with plenty of tonnage. Occasionally one will also encounter (MS) 12-man Crab rush. In general though, GQ is actually pretty friendly towards 4-6 man groups, but two casual friends dropping together tend to get boned--hence a lot of requests on the forums about allowing 2-mans enter the SQ.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 June 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#11 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

Personally I wouldn't have any issue with 2mans in solo as long as we fix the PSR/Tier ranking system (that qualifier seems to apply to any change in MWO these days)

One of things I don't like about Group queue right now is the tonnage limit. I understand it, but being forced into mechs you don't care to play is a good way to kill participation.

#12 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:39 PM

It's feels like it has been so long since we had a good kill group queue for groups thread.

Wish we could convince PGI to implement a skill based match maker that tried to get people matched on ability but that seems dead in the water.

Edited by S O L A I S, 10 June 2018 - 06:40 PM.

#13 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

What I miss is the population for hard game mode selection. Playing only skirmish when I wanted was great.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

View PostSFC174, on 10 June 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Personally I wouldn't have any issue with 2mans in solo as long as we fix the PSR/Tier ranking system (that qualifier seems to apply to any change in MWO these days)

One of things I don't like about Group queue right now is the tonnage limit. I understand it, but being forced into mechs you don't care to play is a good way to kill participation.

The issue several would have about 2-man in the non-group queue would be PGI lack of coding to prevent sync dropping. PGI would likely not have rules such as only one 2-man per team and said 2-man would take the highest Tier ranking of the 2 instead of an "average". Not sure why Tier 1/2 players would be against this, especially if said duo might be more likely to be more communicative, to work more as a team instead of pugs.

Nor would PGI likely set it up in such a way so that 2-man could not opt out the actual group queue, ie default to group queue then a check box to also include solo queue, along with an additional restriction that the duo would be locked out of any further matches until the current match has ended, to prevent suicides/disconnections due to duo not want to play in an actual group queue. The current penalty for d/c would not be restrictive enough to prevent abuse, or increase said penalty to 5 minutes for both players.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 June 2018 - 07:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users