Blood Asp Standard Pack Worthiness?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

I am considering the Standard Pack. I could use the Premium Time if these these three Omnimechs are worth the price. I prefer Dakka mixed with Laser Vomit for brawling. I like ERLLs,or an ERPPC plus LBX-2s for long range support as we advance in QP on Tourmaline Desert or Polar Highlands or softening up targets as they advance in FP Siege.

Jump Jets and ECM are a plus but not mandatory.

#2 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

I think the min-maxers like the Madcat Mk2 more than the Blood Asp, and I'm guessing you've seen the threads about the Blood Asp torso mounts so you know some people like and don't like that change. Personally I like the mech, though I'm definitely not a mix-maxer. I like the torso mount change that now allows me to see the mounts from inside the cockpit, and I like that it now looks closer to the concept art.

For me I think the Blood Asp moves at a nice speed (~65kph; ~70 with the tweak nodes) but it might be a touch over-engine for some (making the Madcat Mk2 a better choice for adding heavier weaponry and chosing its speed because it's a battlemech not an omni), and I like that the A and B come with ECM. I haven't really kitted out my BAS-A to try jumpsniping, I just added the ballistic torsos to make it more like a BAS-Prime but with ECM. I suppose you could take the BAS-A and add the B left torso leaving you with two jump jets and one shoulder mount for jumpsniping. Not sure how many PPCs will be put in the mount though (for lasers, two go in the high mount and two go on the torso).

For me the loadouts that I've used are dual LB20Xes, dual Gauss, and dual UAC20 each with 4 to 6 medium lasers (heavy or ER depending on build). I also have a BAS-B build that's a bit weird but works well; 2 ATM12s in the arms, a UAC20 in the right torso, and 4 HSLs in the left torso. The ATMs soften up the mechs as they approach, a UAC20 doubletap is a nice pinpoint hit on a softened target, and the 4 HSLs are for a bit extra punch up close.

#3 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the information. I love my Highlander IIC-KP and my Direwolves but even with the Supernova Broiler there is room for the Blood Asp in my collection of Clan Mechs/Omnimechs.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

It's like butter to kill.

Survival for an Assault isn't great, especially with those torso mounts...

#5 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

Pretty much everything the BAS does, a MCII variant does better, except for the ECM capabilities. Ballistics + Lasers the Deathstrike does better, dakka the MCII-B does better, brawling the MCII-2 does better, missile boating the MCII-4 does better.

If you really like the (new) look or really want that ECM, get the BAS. Otherwise, get the MCII variant that does what you want (sounds like the MCII-B ought to be a sufficient fit).

#6 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostRuccus, on 20 June 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

I think the min-maxers like the Madcat Mk2 more than the Blood Asp, and I'm guessing you've seen the threads about the Blood Asp torso mounts so you know some people like and don't like that change. Personally I like the mech, though I'm definitely not a mix-maxer. I like the torso mount change that now allows me to see the mounts from inside the cockpit, and I like that it now looks closer to the concept art.

For me I think the Blood Asp moves at a nice speed (~65kph; ~70 with the tweak nodes) but it might be a touch over-engine for some (making the Madcat Mk2 a better choice for adding heavier weaponry and chosing its speed because it's a battlemech not an omni), and I like that the A and B come with ECM. I haven't really kitted out my BAS-A to try jumpsniping, I just added the ballistic torsos to make it more like a BAS-Prime but with ECM. I suppose you could take the BAS-A and add the B left torso leaving you with two jump jets and one shoulder mount for jumpsniping. Not sure how many PPCs will be put in the mount though (for lasers, two go in the high mount and two go on the torso).

For me the loadouts that I've used are dual LB20Xes, dual Gauss, and dual UAC20 each with 4 to 6 medium lasers (heavy or ER depending on build). I also have a BAS-B build that's a bit weird but works well; 2 ATM12s in the arms, a UAC20 in the right torso, and 4 HSLs in the left torso. The ATMs soften up the mechs as they approach, a UAC20 doubletap is a nice pinpoint hit on a softened target, and the 4 HSLs are for a bit extra punch up close.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 June 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

It's like butter to kill.

Survival for an Assault isn't great, especially with those torso mounts...

I will weigh the Mad Cat MK2 against the Blood ASP.

#7 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

If you really want performance, MCII all the way, given that it is to this day one of the strongest assaults in teh entire game if you care about offensive capabilities. It gets screwed in certain niches by things like dual gauss, or ERLL/ERPPC boats, but at mid range both the MCII-1 and the MCII-B will tear mechs to pieces without issue.

The blood asp is basically a no-no for gauss since the gauss is in the ST, and a sinbgle stray round hits your real STs and you can expect those gausses to explode removing half your mech with em when you took maybee 10 dmg from the enemy. The MCII with gauss has arm weapons, so while a determined foe can degauss you, at least they have to focus the arm and wont be doing dmg to your ST weapons. BASP is not only very prone to loosing STs (cause they are both obvious and most mount high ballistics and or gauss), but cant be as well optimized due to being engine locked (and in most cases dropping that engine by 1-2 levels from default is a good idea).

If you really like its look and wanna have more fun then beat everything in front of you, go for it. It isnt a bad mech, and even with ST gauss, its not that much behind the MCIIs, just be aware its not quite as effective overall.

#8 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:01 AM

It was a good mech before its hitboxes got messed up by making the shoulder guns absolutely massive. It should be able to adapt to the laser/gauss vomit changes quite easily due to the self-defeating ghost heat change but the dual LB20 brawling builds got hit hard by the hitbox change.

#9 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

I will say that i take back my previous "BAS is garbage" statement, but i do feel the MCII-B overshadows it at shorter ranges. The BAS has the ability to bring ECM with 4 ballistics (which is the ONLY build worth bringing on the mech), specifically allowing the very deadly 3uac5+1uac10 combo (and if you strip some legs itll actually do 2 uac10+2uac5 but with low ammo so id pass on that). Ive found it better at a range then the MCII due to very tightly grouped guns which can lead targets without much trouble at longer ranges (and the uac5s tends to be rather solid at sub 1km distances even if not 100% efficient).

But yeah, if you wanna run anything but dakka, the BAS is garbage...

#10 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:35 PM

I love the Blood ASP B model more than my Dire Wolves. I have played 8 games and it is awesome. Twenty-Two kills in two days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users