New To Mwo And Pc In General

31 replies to this topic

#1 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hey everyone, I'm basically new to the game and looking to have some fun. I'm also new to PC gaming in general, so super noob here I guess.

But, I have been a fan of mechwarrior since playing MW2 as a kid.

I would really like to continue to use TS for comms since I'm finally figuring out how to use radiofx w/mic clicks. I have nearly 70 drops under my belt now, and I own a tbr-c and shadowcat (prime IIRC) and the free nova that was just awarded to me randomly. The TBR is mastered and I'm working on getting the credits to master the shadow at currently. I'm still tier 5.

I'm looking for some people to play with and am definatly interested in teamwork and learning from better players. I generally play weekdays from 4-6pm CST and definately friendly and willing to try some new things in game if I can afford them. Let me know if you wanna play!

Edited by JustDave11517, 27 June 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#2 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

Welcome into mwo.

Getting into PC gaming can be daunting but it's really not all that bad if you understand all the hardware. Just don't be surprised if you have a high end matching and still get meh performance with this game.

Lucky you on your mech choices, the tbr recently got a minor buff. Clan mechs are fun but don't be surprised if you feel like their performance changes often. They are constantly under scrutiny for balance performance against the IS mechs. Make sure you take a look at patch notes each month to get an idea of how things are changing, not just for your clan equipment but the game overall. Your random nova was part of a give away when changes where made to the terms of service to meet new EU standards. Pgi will give mechs away over the year for any number of things such as buying mech packs or just playing the game.

If you are looking for people to play around, check out merc star, we usually have a number of people on at about any time of day.

Edited by Zack Esseth, 27 June 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#3 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostZack Esseth, on 27 June 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

If you are looking for people to play around, check out merc star, we usually have a number of people on at about any time of day.

Hey, thanks for the welcome.
I do understand all the hardware stuff within reason and spec'ed and built the PC myself. It was a fun task, but now I'm just looking to enjoy it. I have always pretty much mainly played "story mode" games, so the whole "online game" thing is a relatively new outside of a few specific games, but definately new with regards to the PC in general.

Now I apologize, but what exactly do you mean by "check out merc star"? What does that mean? And how do I check it out? Is there a thread here?

Side bar, is there an app that works better with the site on mobile?

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

Merc star is both a thread and a team speak server for mwo. Would link but using my phone.

Use Google mercstar site:mwomercs.com

#5 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Welcome to mwo! Great to have new blood interested in big stomp robots.
Unfortunately don't think that's the time slot my guys usually play in, but if you see me on, just pop me an invite if you want to. We range from shenanigans to try-hard wannabes so we basically take anyone haha

#6 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:07 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 June 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

Merc star is both a thread and a team speak server for mwo. Would link but using my phone.

Got it, thanks! I'll check out this TS Channel after work Today. Posted Image

View PostBohxim, on 27 June 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

Welcome to mwo! Great to have new blood interested in big stomp robots.
Unfortunately don't think that's the time slot my guys usually play in, but if you see me on, just pop me an invite if you want to. We range from shenanigans to try-hard wannabes so we basically take anyone haha

Sorry to hear the times don't work out, what time do your guys generally play? I may be able to swing things around from time to time. Usually my wife gets home from work around 6-6:30pm, and that is usually when I shut the computer down to spend some quality time with her during the week. Posted Image

Edited by JustDave11517, 28 June 2018 - 05:08 AM.

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

Now, you don't have any assaults, and I'm really not suggesting you get any, but, I've a thread designed for fledgling assault pilots that you may find helpful. To sum up, try and think of your games like an RTS player. You mech is but one unit amongst 12, how would the consummate strategist place it? Our gaming times don't sync up, but that's fine, we're still here to help. If you've questions, come on back an ask.

~Leone.

#8 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostLeone, on 28 June 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Now, you don't have any assaults, and I'm really not suggesting you get any, but, I've a thread designed for fledgling assault pilots that you may find helpful. To sum up, try and think of your games like an RTS player. You mech is but one unit amongst 12, how would the consummate strategist place it? Our gaming times don't sync up, but that's fine, we're still here to help. If you've questions, come on back an ask.

~Leone.

Thanks, I'll have a read on the thread!

#9 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 June 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

I tried to join this TS on 2 separate occasions today and it was completely empty. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Had some awesome games in the TBR today!

Edited by JustDave11517, 28 June 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

I don't use it myself but that would be what people refer to when they say Merc star.

#11 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:03 PM

So, I want to buy a light mech? Any recomendations? (Want those MCs tomorrow)

Edited by JustDave11517, 29 June 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

In the words of Johnny Five:

Need input....in...put.

We can recommend our favorites all we want but if it doesn't suit what you like, well you might not be happy.

What do you imagine doing with it? What sort of weapons do you think you would want to use?

#13 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 June 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

In the words of Johnny Five:

Need input....in...put.

We can recommend our favorites all we want but if it doesn't suit what you like, well you might not be happy.

What do you imagine doing with it? What sort of weapons do you think you would want to use?

Probably more kite/skirmisher, so medium lazers? Maybe some TAG or NARC to help the team. Can you put SRMs on a light?
I generally like to brawl, but I know that will always be a losing battle in a light

Edited by JustDave11517, 29 June 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostJustDave11517, on 29 June 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

Probably more kite/skirmisher, so medium lazers? Maybe some TAG or NARC to help the team. Can you put SRMs on a light?
I generally like to brawl, but I know that will always be a losing battle in a light

You can put almost anything on anything.
The limitations is hardpoints (does the mech have the hardpoints to carry missiles for SRMs?) and practicality. (For example the sacrifices needed to put an LBX 10 on a 20 ton Locust or Flea is so drastic that it really would be worthless. For many, even the necessary sacrifices for an AC/5 or RAC/2 on a Locust or Flea is too much, but...)

Posted Image

Also...
Posted Image
SRMs on a 30 ton light.

And not necessarily. You need a light suited to the purpose. Urbanmech, Panther, Wolfhound, Raven (with all but 2 armor pumped to the front and the right equipment; actually this is true for most of them pump the armor forward), and some firestarters can brawl very well.

This said... They are exceptions rather than the norm.

For a given task, some mechs are simply better than others. Said others have their own ways to shine.

For the Ravens as an alternative to packing an AC/20, one could comfortably pack SRMs with more ammo and far better speed and still brawl. The sacrifice is the upfront damage to a single location in favor of something more scatter shot-y.

More in favor of pulse lasers for skirmishing, mainly due to faster delivery of full damage per shot.

I know I didn't give you a specific suggestion, but I hope this influences your ideas if you refine them a bit while others me in to give their opinions. My own is avoid Javelins. They are simply Coffins.

#15 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostKoniving, on 29 June 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

You can put almost anything on anything.
The limitations is hardpoints (does the mech have the hardpoints to carry missiles for SRMs?) and practicality. (For example the sacrifices needed to put an LBX 10 on a 20 ton Locust or Flea is so drastic that it really would be worthless. For many, even the necessary sacrifices for an AC/5 or RAC/2 on a Locust or Flea is too much, but...)

Also...

SRMs on a 30 ton light.

And not necessarily. You need a light suited to the purpose. Urbanmech, Panther, Wolfhound, Raven (with all but 2 armor pumped to the front and the right equipment; actually this is true for most of them pump the armor forward), and some firestarters can

This said... They are exceptions rather than the norm.

For a given task, some mechs are simply better than others. Said others have their own ways to shine.

For the Ravens as an alternative to packing an AC/20, one could comfortably pack SRMs with more ammo and far better speed and still brawl. The sacrifice is the upfront damage to a single location in favor of something more scatter shot-y.

More in favor of pulse lasers for skirmishing, mainly due to faster delivery of full damage per shot.

I know I didn't give you a specific suggestion, but I hope this influences your ideas if you refine them a bit while others me in to give their opinions. My own is avoid Javelins. They are simply Coffins.

Awesome, those videos look right about awesome fun!

I think I'm going to have to play some trials for a while until I figure out which one I wanna dive into. I'm still not sure.

Kinda leaning panther, but MAYBE the raven with a single ERLL, not sure though

Edited by JustDave11517, 30 June 2018 - 07:37 AM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

Best thing you can do, play some trials and figure out what you enjoy. And from there we could make recommendations based on what you really find fun that'll allow you to get the most out of it.

#17 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 June 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

Best thing you can do, play some trials and figure out what you enjoy. And from there we could make recommendations based on what you really find fun that'll allow you to get the most out of it.

Thanks, I'll play some trials and report back my findings after a dozen or so drops.

#18 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

I was able to complete the challenge in a single game with the arctic cheetah trial chassis, but died consistantly with everything else. I figured the Jenner with the higher alpha would atleast back me up with a bit of firepower, but it was still a struggle. Now mind you, this is again, solo PUG. So the teamwork really is a roll of the dice.

Ultimately, I'm glad I was able to complete the protected light challenge, but I still need a bit of practice playing lights. I'm so used to the mix of manuverability/armor/firepower of my shadowhawk that I just kept taking the lighter mechs into bigger battles and getting out armored/gunned quickly. Hell of a difference. I should have know given how differently I play my timberwolf compared to the shadowcat though.

I was watching a snuggles video on YouTube and he was actually recommending a raven for the first light mech purchase. He did warn that the first few months with the mech would be infuriatingly frustrating, but that the raven will teach you the most about light mech piloting. At the end of the day, I want to be the best I can be at the game, but I still want to have some fun in the process...

Like all things, I'm probably over thinking this. Ha. Anyway, pointless rant over.

#19 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

Not pointless. Not at all. Also, the Jenner happens to have a large center torso hitbox, and makes survivability even harder'n normal for lights. But they can carry alotta missiles. The Arctic Cheetah has very nice hitboxes that tend to roll damage naturally. If you want further suggestions on light movement, consider this thread and remember it only goes over movement for in the thick of the brawl, and not optimal assassin techniques. Also, don't skip the last example if you wanna skim, as it's where it all starts to come together.

Sadly, flamers got nerfed so the ultimate example never ended up getting put up.

Anyways, firestarter is a good Inner Sphere comparison to an Arctic Cheetah, though wolfhound is jumpjet-less but also similar.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 02 July 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#20 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

View PostLeone, on 02 July 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

Not pointless. Not at all. Also, the Jenner happens to have a large center torso hitbox, and makes survivability even harder'n normal for lights. But they can carry alotta missiles. The Arctic Cheetah has very nice hitboxes that tend to roll damage naturally. If you want further suggestions on light movement, consider this thread and remember it only goes over movement for in the thick of the brawl, and not optimal assassin techniques. Also, don't skip the last example if you wanna skim, as it's where it all starts to come together.

Sadly, flamers got nerfed so the ultimate example never ended up getting put up.

Anyways, firestarter is a good Inner Sphere comparison to an Arctic Cheetah, though wolfhound is jumpjet-less but also similar.

~Leone.

Thanks for the link Leone, I'll give it a read and hopefully some practice this afternoon in game!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users