- - - - -

Why Does Matchmaking Break Down After Tier 2 Pilot Rank?

42 replies to this topic

#41 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:40 AM

I agree with most of what you're saying, Horseman, and that's certainly a different way of looking at things, but the OP is about things getting wonky in T2. Because you have people playing for so many different reasons (crazy builds, drinking night, new 'mechs, events, etc.) and because you have people who reached those upper tiers for different reasons (skill, luck in initial matches, lone wolf alpha-ing, etc.), the matches can vary wildly in results. This is just what we actually see. It's not theory. The variables are all over the place. While I think it's probably accurate to say that most people escape T5 (though not all, apparently), not everyone is going to climb to T1. It's just not true. A player who consistently scores 250pts in T4 may simply not be able to do that in a higher tier because the chances they find themselves up against more veteran players is higher. They've an equal chance of having veterans on their team too (in QP), but if they reached their present tier without using teamwork, and refuse to do so (no mic, mute everyone, don't care, etc.) then they really aren't going to trend upwards. A single ERLL Spider doing double digit damage and still getting an increase is going to get old really quick for most people - but maybe someone wants to keep doing that. Fine by me. I think they're going to get yelled at by their teammates a lot though, unless they're a super effective squirrel - and for every one of those, there's going to be the folks playing Spiders that don't tier up that way.

I made a video that I linked earlier in this thread showing a bit more on the numbers side of where I'm coming from. If you're not consistently scoring above 250 Match Score, you have a 50% chance of decreasing in PSR and 25% chance of staying the same. It's effectively plateauing (or we could look at it as an opportunity to improve, lol).

#42 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

This:

View PostTarl Cabot, on 01 July 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

[...]

With that said, a close game usually happens when both sides have made mistakes but neither following up on those mistakes. Where as the more players in a match who are able to bring it and know how to counter/capitalize on those mistakes (ie being aggressive) while bringing most of the team in on it, will slaughter the other team who missed capitalizing on a mistake, usually be not becoming aggressive enough as a team.

[...]

I even would go further and say that every match that ends in a "close" victory or better pyric victory only shows that both sides realy botched it.

A match that goes 12:4 can actually be a very close match, depending on the 4 mechs that got killed by the loosing team.
A match where the winning side lost 50 or more % of their mechs is actually only a win in PGIs....ahhh...lets call it vintage...oldschool, back to the basics, shooteresque way of match evaluation Posted Image
Normaly you would have 50% killed and the rest near incapacitated or beyond repair, fit for recycling mechs.
So actually a match that goes 12:7 - 12:11 is a draw depending how the surviving mechs of the winner look.

So to reply the PO...clear match results that swing this or that way actually indicate that the MM IS working for you as long as your W/L goes closer to 1 when you go closer to T1.

Edited by The Basilisk, 16 August 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#43 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 16 August 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

A match where the winning side lost 50 or more % of their mechs is actually only a win in PGIs....ahhh...lets call it vintage...oldschool, back to the basics, shooteresque way of match evaluation Posted Image

lol, exactly. It's a shooter first and foremost.

MWO sometimes feels like those pizza places that let your order dessert too. Like, why? Pizza places should just focus on good pizza and players should just focus on shooting each other... so why do we have all these modes again? o.0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users