Timber Wolf After "rework"

43 replies to this topic

#1 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

So, Mad Cat after rework, any better or still shadow of a shadow of what Timberwolf used to be straight after release? Whats your opinions? I tried it - still handles like a brick, not going to play it.

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

Handles fine compared to most of my other Heavy 'mechs. Still does well with MPLs + SRMs.

#3 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

Feels good to me, I think first time out did 2 kill 600. 4asrm6, 3mpl.
It's fast. Handles like any other heavy.

Bit suquishy though imo.

#4 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Just to address "a shadow of what Timberwolf used to be straight after release".

It'll never be that ever again barr heavy quirking, which wont' happen, look at how long it took them to just remove the negative quirks. At the time of its release there were no mechs comparable to what the Timber could bring to the table...it simply had no competition. Now its just a another heavy, that is either on par, or outgunned by other mechs in its weight class.

ON1-IIC beats it in the Brawl config, and LRM spam.
HBR is superior in the Laservom config
EBJs fixed slot config is less restrictive IMO but with the same amt of pot space. And this guy is basically a swiss army knife and can do any config you put it in decently. Strongest obviously being laservom.
Night Gyr, despite being a turtle surpasses the Timber in gauss vomit, and ballistic boating.

All of the above mechs have similar accel decel profile being around 17-22kph/s, ebj being on the higher end with 27ish, NGT ont he low end with the abysmal 11/18kph/s.

...leaving it where?

Simply speaking, the Timberwolf now simply another clan "option", not special, not bad...just mediocre to good.

Edited by Humpday, 01 July 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

From My post in the TIMBERWOLF NEGATIVE QUIRKS ARE GONE tread.

View PostShadowomega1, on 19 June 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Checked my Warrant.

Pre patch stats

7/8 Omni Pods with 6/6 Torso speed, 3/5 Torso Yaw

Acceleration 19.58
Deceleration 22.41
Turn Rate 50.03
Torso Turn Rate 99.4
Torso Pitch Speed 48
Arms Pitch Speed 191
Arms Yaw Speed 191

Post Patch

7/8 Omni Pods with 6/6 Torso speed, 3/5 Torso Yaw
Acceleration 19.58
Deceleration 22.41
Turn Rate 50.03
Torso Turn Rate 98.6
Torso Pitch Speed 48
Arms Pitch Speed 191
Arms Yaw Speed 191

So a loose of .84 degrees a second in torso twist speed. So much for a 5% to 10% boost.

Now let us look at the IS 75 ton Marauder which is the Timberwolf's cousin.

No skills to worry about here on the first one

Acceleration 24.63
Deceleration 22.66
Turn Rate 50.42
Torso Twist Rate 90
Torso Pitch Speed 56
Arms Pitch Speed 225
Arms Yaw Speed 225

Now let us look at the Twist rate after 6/6 Torso Yaw Twist rate

Torso Twist rate 116.99

So builds that are not based around laser vomit are actually slightly worse. Where as those that were are slightly better.

#6 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

View PostHumpday, on 01 July 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

...leaving it where?

Leaving it in a downgraded "Prime" Configuration.
2erll
2erml
2mg
2lrm15
heatsinks and ammo to taste, full armor.

Congrats, you have the perfect, jack of all trades mech that can keep up with the fight, fight at all ranges, and deal decent damage at all range bracket's.

Will it shine at anything? No, but it's not meant to, it's meant to be something that can slot into any position at any time, and make up for a weakness in the line while not being overtly hot, allowing for sustained firepower in the line.

With this build, I have, and have continued, to regularly see myself 1-2+ kills at or above my weight class consistently.

But I know the meta hounds are breathing down my neck over this build already:
REEE LRM'S ARE USELESS
REEE NOT RUNNING ALPHA LASER BOAT!
REEE DUAL MG'S ARE DOING YOU NOTHING!!!!
REEEEEEE.

and maybe you're right, maybe I could follow the flavor of the meta, maybe I could do the same thing every other "top tier" player does... but then I'm not enjoying myself, I'm not nearly as versatile and I'd feel much more hamstrung with that kind of loadout, than with this.

But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess... Timby's still strong IMO.

#7 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 01 July 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

2erll
2erml
2mg
2lrm15

Will it shine at anything? No, but it's not meant to

Sounds like it will shine at being horrible, but could have been worse. Could be Black Knight or XL King Crab

Edited by Nema Nabojiv, 01 July 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#8 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 01 July 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Sounds like it will shine at being horrible, but could have been worse. Could be Black Knight or XL King Crab

Try using it... try using *gasp* tactics and positioning.

You're there to help at all ranges, you're not there to be the hero. get your hand off your e-peen for a bit, and pilot something that's not meta compliant and work to make it work.

Learn the in's and outs of a chassis, instead of forcing it into a narrow use case.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Bracket builds are bracket builds. Overall, good at nothing and bad at everything else.

Hence why you shouldn't run them I'd you want to be effective.

Anyway the TBR is still garbage overall, no surprise.

#10 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

i barely noticed the change when I **** around FW friday, when I use my 2hll+4-5erml Timberwolves. My A twist around little faster but then again I'm so used to playing my Timberwolf for all the time that the desync was the only thing that take me time to adapt.

Still wanting to give it a 25-30% agility boost.

#11 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 01 July 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

You're there to help at all ranges, you're not there to be the hero. get your hand off your e-peen for a bit, and pilot something that's not meta compliant and work to make it work.

Learn the in's and outs of a chassis, instead of forcing it into a narrow use case.

Your build is absolute trash.

#12 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:08 AM

View PostYosharian, on 01 July 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Your build is absolute trash.

and your opinion is worse bro.

You get your rocks off insulting people? Or are you just that crutched on the meta you can't see beyond it?

#13 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 02 July 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

and your opinion is worse bro.

You get your rocks off insulting people? Or are you just that crutched on the meta you can't see beyond it?

Your build is still bad. You lack firepower at long range and you are useless in med and short range. LRM on the clans are not really good if not boating. Plus the combo ERML and ERLL is bad. And you have two useless machine gun in top of that.

Your build is going all over the place but not focus on anything. You should try two ATM + backup laser if you want a support build on the mad cat.

Other common and good build are the MPL + SRM combo, the Gauss + PPC, the laser boat or the Gauss vomit. ATM can work too as i said.

Don't tell that you need to work to make this build working... Of course you will be able to made good games with some luck but it is completely sup bar and not efficient at all.

#14 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:28 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 01 July 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

How about posting up some screen shots of your best games in to to help prove your point? You are telling people to use it, but you didn't have enough games last season to even register on the leaderboards. Less than 10 games is not a good assessment.

#15 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 02 July 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

How about posting up some screen shots of your best games in to to help prove your point? You are telling people to use it, but you didn't have enough games last season to even register on the leaderboards. Less than 10 games is not a good assessment.

Considering it's the build I've used LITERALLY SINCE CLANS CAME OUT.

I think I have a pretty good track record with it, but that's fine, you're not willing to try it, you're not willing to even attempt to make it work. And that's fine.

View PostAleski, on 02 July 2018 - 04:26 AM, said:

Your build is still bad. You lack firepower at long range and you are useless in med and short range. LRM on the clans are not really good if not boating. Plus the combo ERML and ERLL is bad. And you have two useless machine gun in top of that.

Your build is going all over the place but not focus on anything. You should try two ATM + backup laser if you want a support build on the mad cat.

Other common and good build are the MPL + SRM combo, the Gauss + PPC, the laser boat or the Gauss vomit. ATM can work too as i said.

Don't tell that you need to work to make this build working... Of course you will be able to made good games with some luck but it is completely sup bar and not efficient at all.

Actually the build is far from "all over the place." The ERLL's and LRM's are utilized at longer ranges [obviously] The ERM's and MG's are utilized at close range to capitalize on already messed up armor and shred internals with the 2MG's. While in that close range brawling distance, with ample cooling you can easily splash in the occasional ERLL shot for some additional damage in close.

You're thinking too much on the "optimal" yet again... just look at what you've recommended "MPulse and Splat." or "Gauss+PPC" literally the SAME THING EVERYONE RECOMMENDS.

It's bloody god damned stale and boring.

My build, is a simi-downgrade from the standard Timberwolf Prime. I downgrade the LRM20's to LRM15's, and remove the MPL. That's it, that's all I'm doing... and why? To aleviate the heat issues that the standard prime's loadout has.

You're thinking from a purely competitive "I Must win at all costs" Mentality. You have discovered how to break the system to your whims, and are focused on that.

MY focus, is on taking something that is fairly lore-friendly and accurate, and making it work in combat.

Seriously I'll be glad when Mechwarrior 5 comes out, and I can quit having these debates with people like you who can't see past the ******* meta. Not everything has to be "Muh maximum damage" to be good bro.

#16 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:03 AM

No, its completely fine to run whatever build you enjoy. Its just that most people enjoy stompy robots AND winning games, and this one is not good for winning.
But again, this is a game, you seem to be entertained with your timby, and it could be much much worse.

#17 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:06 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 02 July 2018 - 04:46 AM, said:

Seriously I'll be glad when Mechwarrior 5 comes out, and I can quit having these debates with people like you who can't see past the ******* meta. Not everything has to be "Muh maximum damage" to be good bro.

If you cant take critisism on your builds in a community forum, you shouldn't visit them. No one was harming specifically you, just your build.

#18 Soulless86

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Jesus I get why they call this place the brown sea, so much teen angst for a game supposedly full of old men.

#19 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 02 July 2018 - 05:06 AM, said:

If you cant take critisism on your builds in a community forum, you shouldn't visit them. No one was harming specifically you, just your build.

It's not the criticism Steve. I'm fine with that, I've been around these parts since 2012, I know how it goes.

And I'm not harmed... I'm tired and frustrated at people who think there's only one way to play, the META way.

I don't play Mechwarrior with the intent of playing it as an arena shooter, I play Mechwarrior specifically because it's part of the Battletech universe, it's the only game around that let's you pilot a Battlemech from the cockpit view.

I play this game, because my father got me into the battletech sim pods back in 1995 when I was 10. And it's the last good memory I have of my father.

I play these games because they are dear to me, and I've been playing Mechwarrior regularly since Mechwarrior 2... Laser Vomit's always been the "Go to" I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mech combat has been solved since 1995, and the game creators just keep making the same mistakes, that allow the same prevalent thought processes to dominate in EVERY iteration.

Mechwarrior 2: Load up on MLas, shoot legs, profit.
Mechwarrior 3: Load up on Mlas, shoot legs torso, Profit [leg shooting became banned due to loosing one leg loosing your life.
Mechwarrior 4: Load up on PPFLD and Jumpsnipe.
Mechwarrior Online: Load up on PPFLD and Jumpsnipe Load up on lasers, or PPFLD and profit.

not much has really changed other than hey, PPFLD stuff has actually become useful.

But no one puts in the time to try to function within the game "as it was" How many of you have taken the stock Timberwolf and tried to make it work? Very few I'm sure, What about minor variations? I will grant that yeah, I could probably drop the MG's for a 3rd CERMLAS and do better overall, at the expense of some heat... but at that point I personally feel I've broken the lore and intended role of the Mech.

Everyone just grabs a chassis and crams it into the meta however it'll fit.. little regard is given for what the mech's intended role is in this playerbase, no one really looks to the lore at all. Instead, everyone's content in just tossing the weapons that work onto the mechs that "work" and calling it a day.

And that's just not interesting to me, If I wanted that, I'd be playing a tank simulator where "here is the single weapon system on this tank that does what it does." And I'd play that... but Mechwarrior is ment to have flavor, these machines are supposed to look and feel a certern way, and each one, is intended to be individualistic based on it's loadout.

I guess, at the end of the day, I can't blame the playerbase, can I? It's the decision to allow for unfettered customization that really hurts the game, because it enables this kind of mindset instead of putting it in check.

Posted Image

For those who wanted a screenshot, this was taken just now, after a tier 2 pug match.

Edited by CMDR Sunset Shimmer, 02 July 2018 - 05:45 AM.

#20 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 02 July 2018 - 04:46 AM, said:

Why are you arguing and posting on the forum anyway if you think that ?

Ho and by the way, i don't always stick the meta. My personnal and favorite build on a Timberwolf is a Prime variant with the omnipods of the Prime only with 5xMPL, 2xASRM6 + 2xHMG. Not completely meta, cause i do not like gauss vomit on the Timberwolf. My one is a mix beetween a SRM brawler and a wub boat.
You have to play a little meta in this game if you don't want to be shredd in 80% of your games, you know ? Especially if you are a light enthusiast like i am.

I don't get people that come with amazing build that works so well for them and tell anyone to play with it. Why are you coming on the forum, mate ? You just don't have enough salt in your life ? You have to come here and make anyone waisting their times with their advices ?

If your build is so strong and perfect for you and you don't want anyone to critic this one, why posting it in the forum ? It is just like if you ask someone to give you a slap in the back of your head. I don't get it... Geez...

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 02 July 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

For those who wanted a screenshot, this was taken just now, after a tier 2 pug match.

Congratulations, you win a pug game. Is that what you want from us ?

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users