Piranha - The Most Broken Mech In Mwo?

463 replies to this topic

#241 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:12 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 24 December 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

No, I just talk about simple balance. If you're small and fast and therefore almost invulnerable, then you shouldn't have firepower, cuz having all pros without having any cons - is literal definition of OP. And thing about aiming is standard "entry skill threshold" problem. Playing any Light - is about running around non-stop, abusing JJ-shield and pew-pewing. Trust me - I had tried playing Arctic Cheater at some point and it was as easy, as I had assumed. And I need to learn to aim, lol. I play this game since Open Beta, you know. And I don't know, how to aim? And I still need to learn to aim? I don't even know, how new players play this game. May be they play Piranhas?

A light mech gives up...

1. armour
2. structure
3. heat dissipation (granted, not the PIR1)
4. alpha strike capability
5. in most cases DPS

Further drawvbacks
It is also hardcountered by streaks
It is softcountered by ATMs
It is softcountered by LRMs

Now you whine that it is "invulnverable" because a light is smaller? Heck, the 35t mechs are **** easy to hit. The 25t and lower are harder to hit but if you are not a complete potato and attack consequently the legs it will either run off because the light knows that you actually have a clue what you are doing or soon lose one of his legs.

And if all fails and you cannot adapt, then equip a streak launcher and do not cry here because it is YOU and not any of the light mechs. Again: YOU

#242 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 24 December 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Tell it to Lights, who can openly attack 4-6 enemy 'Mechs and survive easily. Any other 'Mech would be blown up within split-second.

I attack 4-6 enemy 'Mechs all the time with Mediums and Heavies. It's easy when you have good mounts and especially when they aren't looking at you. It helps when they can't aim, either.

#243 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

https://clips.twitch...usBunnyPipeHype Current piranha pilots

#244 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:24 AM

View PostroboPrancer, on 24 December 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Haha, i was about to post this too. That was such a casual kill...

#245 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

How dare you try to invalidate whining with facts sir! Facts have no place in these threads Posted Image

Edited by R5D4, 24 December 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#246 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 December 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

I attack 4-6 enemy 'Mechs all the time with Mediums and Heavies. It's easy when you have good mounts and especially when they aren't looking at you. It helps when they can't aim, either.

"Openly" means, that all 4-6 see him and try to kill.

This guy was too noobish to completely stop and then try to run straight from his enemy. Big mistake. Crab has too wide arms. This completely messes up whole convergence and leading. So simple strafe would have made this guy completely invulnerable. All assaults are also way too tall, so hugging their legs is best tactic. I can't even see Light 'Mech in most cases, when they hug my legs, not even talking about shooting.

Edited by MrMadguy, 24 December 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#247 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 24 December 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

This guy was too noobish to completely stop and then try to run straight from his enemy. Big mistake. Crab has too wide arms. This completely messes up whole convergence and leading. So simple strafe would have made this guy completely invulnerable. All assaults are also way too tall, so hugging their legs is best tactic. I can't even see Light 'Mech in most cases, when they hug my legs, not even talking about shooting.

Strafing does not make them invulnerable. It would make it a better idea to chain fire for accuracy, so yeah it is a harder shot and the pir might live longer, but I doubt it would trouble Proton....

Also I play plenty of assaults, and plenty of tall assaults with all or nearly all weapons in the torsos. I can't recall the last time a Piranha or other light was able to just hug my legs. My guess is that largely happens when an assault is on its own, out of position, and going to die anyway.

Hugging a leg takes away the mobility advantage of a light, so your team should scrape it off pretty easily.

#248 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 24 December 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Even if they see me, still too fast in a medium.

JJs are your friend.

#249 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

I realize this is totally off topic for this thread's purpose, but is the hero Piranha any good?

#250 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

View PostNRP, on 24 December 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

I realize this is totally off topic for this thread's purpose, but is the hero Piranha any good?

Yes. Better at butt-stabbing than the PIR-1, in my opinion.

#251 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

Cool, thank you sir!

#252 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

The ASN-21 is still pretty stronk with its slipperyetherial, upper half hitboxes.

#253 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

Been one shotting the Piranha last 5 matches. I would say your conclusion is false.

#254 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

That PIR pilot showed some poor judgment to engage in the open in the early portion of the match.It was also a poor choice to run away from the Kingcrab in a fairly straight line (in the open) If I somehow had the poor judgement to engage the Kingcrab with no cover andin the early portion of the match I would at least have run towards the Kingcrab and tried to out circle it for another go at the back armor.

That being said even the poorly utilized PIR-1 managed to open up rear armor of a 100 ton mech and do a reasonable amount of damage in about 2 seconds flat. If only that PIR pilot knew to target side torsos (to crit out torso weapons) that Kingcrab may have lost it's SRM battery before killing the Piranha.

#255 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

2 Flamer, 3 cHML and 6 MG Cipher build possible?

#256 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 25 December 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

2 Flamer, 3 cHML and 6 MG Cipher build possible?

Yes, but you'll be hard-up for ammo. Go for HSL instead.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 25 December 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#257 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:19 PM

Ah, better cooldown as well. I'll try it sometime on my Cipher. I have to max out the skills.

#258 QoS

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSamara

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

Piranha is not OP, it's just a mech. How MGs work in MWO - that's OP. If you have 12 MGs you just need to point and click - enemy dies very quickly.

#259 Tommy Atkins

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

Piranhas are game-breakingly OP, especially the MG ones -- I mean come on, twelve ballistic hardpoints? Nothing that small should be that fast and that tanky and have that much DPS. If you get two of them leg-humping you your match is over.

It's gotten to the point, even in the high-tier solo queue, that if I see the other team has Piranhas and we don't, I know we're going to lose, period. Add in lag and rubber-banding and Piranhas are effectively unkillable. Add skill point boosts and they're even worse. Even without quirks of any kind, PGI needs to nerf them in the worst possible way... if not remove them from the game entirely.

#260 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

piranhas have like 20 leg armour, just look at them and they die

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users