Let's Lag Up The Game With Exciting Environments!

22 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:42 AM

Now now, I know this sounds like a complaint post or some weird sarcastic thread.

Trust me, it's not.

It's a twilight zone suggestion thread that actually makes a lot of sense...

So the story goes, I was running around in Crimson Straight yesterday flanking around the island. Beside the weird head statues that don't make a lick of sense art and style wise, I encounter a few container ships.

I don't know if you remember, but in Mech 4, there are barges. Ships that you can literally sink. Now, capital ships like Thunderchild felt underwhelming because... well, graphics wasn't really good 15 years ago, and progressive damage display is kind of horrible. But barges and other environmental variables are always fun to destroy.

So how cool would it be if those container ships actually moves around and are destroy-able? Not just the ships, but all these random trucks, cars, and other objects that should be moving.

I know this will decrease your frame rate by 1 or 2 FPS (well, depends on how they code it, I guess. if they can load those apps into the under utilized GPU, maybe it won't be such a big deal). But, I think it will be fun to finally stomp and kill those trucks instead of trucks behaving like an unkillable rock.

(for that matter, on River... destroyable hangers and functioning space port.)

edit: last part removed

Edited by razenWing, 04 July 2018 - 04:44 AM.

#2 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:52 AM

The game can hardly handle a time of day change without devolving into a stuttering mess. I'm pretty sure what you're suggesting would probably cause my game to crash, uninstall, virus detected, soil my pants and a slight case of the herp.

#3 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:56 AM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 04 July 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

The game can hardly handle a time of day change without devolving into a stuttering mess. I'm pretty sure what you're suggesting would probably cause my game to crash, uninstall, virus detected, soil my pants and a slight case of the herp.

+1 on the herp....

#4 sharknoise

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

Trucks and cars being abandoned make a lot of sense though. People disliked the prospect of being stomped so they left the city. Cars moving along pre-determined lines will look ridiculous when they drive straight into your mech kamikaze-style. They would need an AI to attempt to flee away from approaching mechs, and such an AI is too much effort for something with no impact on combat. Better add military vehicles then.

#5 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:29 AM

View Postsharknoise, on 04 July 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

Trucks and cars being abandoned make a lot of sense though. People disliked the prospect of being stomped so they left the city. Cars moving along pre-determined lines will look ridiculous when they drive straight into your mech kamikaze-style. They would need an AI to attempt to flee away from approaching mechs, and such an AI is too much effort for something with no impact on combat. Better add military vehicles then.

Honestly I am all about bells and whistles. Just seeing moving destroy-able cars and trucks are awesome enough for me. I don't mind them being programmed to be kamikaze style.

#6 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

When pgi is getting to be more lazy than usual with how they do things in mwo such features would crash the game,drop frame rates and make it unplayable for many people. Reading the hardware and work-a-round sub threads shows that even high end rigs still have trouble running the game. I've forced mwo to run on 400$ and under laptops from pawn shops. A pc with hardware from 2008-2014 seem to be better suited to mwo than that modern new-er $1,200-3,000 rig.

Remember when they first launched solaris city with a warning they knew it would tank peoples' frame rates and crash? I know my pc losses 15 fps to 20 fps during the heavy brawling in d5-e5 common on that map. It's sad when 10 year old games or older have more fluff in destructible environments,far better programed ai (tie fighter wing man,mw lances etc) and story.

#7 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 04 July 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

When pgi is getting to be more lazy than usual with how they do things in mwo such features would crash the game,drop frame rates and make it unplayable for many people. Reading the hardware and work-a-round sub threads shows that even high end rigs still have trouble running the game. I've forced mwo to run on 400$ and under laptops from pawn shops. A pc with hardware from 2008-2014 seem to be better suited to mwo than that modern new-er $1,200-3,000 rig.

Remember when they first launched solaris city with a warning they knew it would tank peoples' frame rates and crash? I know my pc losses 15 fps to 20 fps during the heavy brawling in d5-e5 common on that map. It's sad when 10 year old games or older have more fluff in destructible environments,far better programed ai (tie fighter wing man,mw lances etc) and story.

To be fair, a lot of this is not entierly PGI's fault. CryEngine is not a particularly stable engine, it just looks good. There's a reason Crysis was such a hugely popular PC benchmark, and it was also just as unstable as MWO.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

this kind of fluff is cheaper than you might think. mech3 had it ffs. anything to make the maps less dead. unless it results in 2 years of map retrofits like trees did, and they didnt even come out all that great.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 July 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#9 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

Destructible environment in MWO 2.0.....which they will start after MW5 is released....with the same timetable for release date.....and, you get to buy everything all over again!

#10 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

I don't know if you've heard but the trend with modern games is to remove features rather than improve/add new ones.

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

I liked your healing hands idea better.

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:47 PM

View PostAEgg, on 04 July 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

To be fair, a lot of this is not entierly PGI's fault. CryEngine is not a particularly stable engine, it just looks good. There's a reason Crysis was such a hugely popular PC benchmark, and it was also just as unstable as MWO.

Crysis 1,2 and 3 runs better than mwo on my pc from 2012 with no issues what so ever on max settings while the same is not true for mwo. Imagine that. I have not ever had any of those crysis games lose dps or crash on me while I fully expect mwo to do it at least once for ever four hours of mwo play.

Not bad for a FX-8150 , gtx 660,8 gig ram and a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 -- AMD 970.

#13 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

I liked your healing hands idea better.

Lol, you guys can keep thinking a healer mech being ridiculous. But honestly, if we assume armor to be ablative, then a "spray" on armor for instant battlefield armor replenishment is not too far fetch to imagine.

Also, i'm not saying those mech hands become magical tools, but a mech WITH hands can take apart gyros and rebuild lost limbs. After all, mechs weren't just "battle" mechs, they are still mechanized robots to help with space explorations. It's also not far fetched that they have enough dexterity to repair.

#14 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:05 AM

Other games have "healing" components. In many of the Scenario battles in WoWs, there are repair ships that you sail into a "zone" around them and you repair.

The previous MW games had Mobile Repair Bases and you drove in an repaired.

I'd like to see rain, snow, blowing sand and fog.

#15 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostSFC174, on 04 July 2018 - 05:56 AM, said:

+1 on the herp....

We don't need more of that... we already have HPV Manifold the map that just won't go away

#16 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostAsym, on 05 July 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

Other games have "healing" components. In many of the Scenario battles in WoWs, there are repair ships that you sail into a "zone" around them and you repair.

The previous MW games had Mobile Repair Bases and you drove in an repaired.

Other games certainly have healing. Or in this case, just introduced them.

I'd like to see rain, snow, blowing sand and fog.

More particle physics. These can increase lag and burden on the graphics card. I remember when fog were added --- then removed --- on War Thunder Ground Forces, after players complaining about them.

#17 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 04 July 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

Now now, I know this sounds like a complaint post or some weird sarcastic thread.

Trust me, it's not.

So the story goes, I was running around in Crimson Straight yesterday flanking around the island. Beside the weird head statues that don't make a lick of sense art and style wise, I encounter a few container ships.

I don't know if you remember, but in Mech 4, there are barges. Ships that you can literally sink. Now, capital ships like Thunderchild felt underwhelming because... well, graphics wasn't really good 15 years ago, and progressive damage display is kind of horrible. But barges and other environmental variables are always fun to destroy.

So how cool would it be if those container ships actually moves around and are destroy-able? Not just the ships, but all these random trucks, cars, and other objects that should be moving.

I know this will decrease your frame rate by 1 or 2 FPS (well, depends on how they code it, I guess. if they can load those apps into the under utilized GPU, maybe it won't be such a big deal). But, I think it will be fun to finally stomp and kill those trucks instead of trucks behaving like an unkillable rock.

My feeling is that the game maps are over designed. Lots of features and things that are barely seen and traveled, and only adds lag.

This game's level design needs to learn a bit more about the virtues of minimalism.

#18 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

What about healing dinosaurs instead of mechs. They could be equipped with special harnesses that spray Star League era Kerensky Goo all over your mech.

#19 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 04 July 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

Trust me, it's not.

I'm pretty sure if PGI tried to do this they would end up bricking peoples computers in the attempt.

It's also not far fetched that they have enough dexterity to repair.

Many BattleTech mechs had dexterity on par with actual human bodies. They could kneel, go prone, crawl, punch, kick, jump, climb. They weren't restricted to the lumbering walking tanks MWO showcases. PGI just wasn't up to the task of incorporating this element of the universe. Walking tanks is just easier.

Edited by Quxudica, 05 July 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#20 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

View Postsharknoise, on 04 July 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

NO one would own a car. Mechwarriors would just step on them every fght. To quote SFdebris, "Those are just bonus points."

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users