Laser Ams Heat

29 replies to this topic

#21 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

LAMS is waaaay to hot to justify taking it.

"Just turn it off" doesn't really work when you WANT to be protected and protecting teammates the whole time. I don't really use AMS but I've never had to turn it off to conserve ammo so why would it be OK for me to have to turn off LAMS to conserve heat?

#22 Cosantoir

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

I use Laser AMS in around half the matches I play, always on fairly hot running medium brawlers. Running it continuously while firing is not an option, and I think that is exactly how it should be. Part of playing well, for the design I prefer to run, is providing AMS for teammates when I can, sticking close to the slower assaults when they move between cover and similar situations.

Knowing when to toggle it off for continuous jump positioning and firing is part of piloting the mech, and what makes it fun. There are occasions when all weapons are gone, sometimes from machine gun fire or similar, and I can still provide marginal utility by spotting for and protecting teammates.

In my experience and opinion, LAMS could run slightly cooler but provides fun and skillful tradeoffs where it is right now. Incorporating the toggle into your piloting style is the key to getting the most from the system, in terms of both enjoyment and effectiveness.

Edited by Cosantoir, 07 July 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#23 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

View Postjss78, on 04 July 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yeah, with IS, since LAMS and AMS+1ton are equal tonnage and slot space, you're effectively trading heat efficiency to eliminate the risk of regular AMS running out of 1 ton ammo, or AMS ammo exploding. Neither happens with any frequency, so just not worth it.

I dunno. I've run out of AMS ammo plenty of times, sometimes burning through the entire ton of ammo near the START of a match because the other side is throwing so many missiles around.

OTOH, I find running out of AMS ammo preferable to being perpetually overheated because of LAMS.

#24 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

They should put a switch on it to auto lock on surface targets, just like the RL Phalanx system can target small boats.

Pesky fleas would get a suprise.

(Not serious)

#25 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:39 PM

If you want to LMS, a half ton for the C-Ams and 1/2 Tone of ammo. No heat needed. Reason I like AMS, and I do use cover, is sometimes when changing positions, I get locked on. Help the team a bit too. When I run out, well, I run out. Usually only towards the end of the match. Any hoot, 1/2 plus 1/2 = 1. Where LMS 1 + 1 per heat sink. I guess it's all in preference.

#26 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

View Posteminus, on 06 July 2018 - 12:34 AM, said:

also fix the no clipping of both AMS, it will stil fire even if there is an obstruction like a wall or a ceiling

that is just lazy programming

Does it still work through walls, haven't noticed this for a while.

#27 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

LAMS takes zero skill.

Git gud. Learn to manage heat.

#28 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:47 PM

View PostMaurix2010, on 25 April 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

XD XD

Thread necro just to drop emotes as a user's first ever post is a new one, I gotta admit. That's some next-level forum derp, right there. Haven't seen anything like it in all my years of interneting. Nosireebob.

#29 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:19 AM

That's the price you pay for ammoless AMS

#30 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:29 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 27 April 2020 - 03:19 AM, said:

That's the price you pay for ammoless AMS

The price does not fit the value of the product - that’s why there are no buyers.

There is only 1 build in which I use LAMS and that is on my Raven Huginn. The build is so cold that the LAMS heat does not affect it. Otherwise it’s regular AMS+1 ton ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users