The Next Era

45 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

What do you guys think the next Era in Battletech/Mechwarrior is going to be? We've been stuck in the Dark Age for a little while now - what do you think could come after this? I'm hoping for a new Golden Age, with exploration and such.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

There's pretty much no logical reason for anyone in the Inner Sphere to explore anything. The Successor States are already hard limited by their borders (They can't control much more than what is in the Inner Sphere already, anything they found and colonized would just become another periphery state after a couple years), and none of them need resources (They need manufactoring capacity and expertise, not raw material).

So what would make them want to explore? And if they did, where would the conflict be? Each state has its own piece of the pie, they really wouldn't be butting up against anyone out there (Except for the periphery states, I suppose, but they'd have to be cleared from the board before you even start exploring anyway).

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

More pre-League era material (the Age of War, the rise of the Battlemech, etc) would be a far better and more welcome investment than any further timeline advancement would be. Battletech should stop chasing the next shiny and start filling in the really bloody interesting parts of its lore which have never been paid adequate attention.

#4 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:27 PM

They will go easy way. With lawsuit cleared, it is far easier to go back to previous era rather than costy new era where they have to implement another new weapons and stuffs.

Except, I really do not think this going-back was that popular, given how deserted HBS Battletech became.

#5 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

I remember skimming over Sarna news there gonna be a second invasion led by a illKhan, but from the homeworld or Spheriod Clans idk.

#6 KoalaBrownie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostBrenden, on 05 July 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

What do you guys think the next Era in Battletech/Mechwarrior is going to be? We've been stuck in the Dark Age for a little while now - what do you think could come after this? I'm hoping for a new Golden Age, with exploration and such.

The milk the hardcore grognard age- oh wait, that's every age for CGL.

If you're talking Piranha MWO, logically the late-clan era with HAGs, Plasma, etcetera.

Edited by KoalaBrownie, 05 July 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#7 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Star League stock mode?

#8 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 05 July 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

I remember skimming over Sarna news there gonna be a second invasion led by a illKhan, but from the homeworld or Spheriod Clans idk.

Last I checked, they accidentally (Or intentionally) leaked that there will be an ilClan (Which means the Clans will finally take Terra).

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

I want to push the timeline all the way up to the 3100's to get all the good stuff, like this bad boy:

Posted Image

But at bare minimum the 3070s tech like Light ACs, Magshots, etc. would be very welcome.

#10 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Well if it isn't an alternate timeline that it would have to be set post Republic Reformation (way past the Dark Age), to have an IlClan. Unless one of the Inner Sphere Clan groups is elected to office, and that clan gets named that for honor or some such event.

#11 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

Oh, there are some great Mechs in 3145...

... the ultimate zombie with the wonderful and easy name: "Götterdämmerung"

Posted Image

... the Bushwacker 2.0 OmniMech, Gauntlet

Posted Image

One can dream...

#12 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

3150+ is the "present day" era of the Battletech timeline. Though not much is known about what happens in the 3150+ era until the latest products come out. There are a few snippets from 3250 but the BT devs have made it pretty clear they are going to flesh out 3150 more before any timeline jumps.

We know that a Clan probably takes Terra and becomes ilClan. It's not known which one yet. Most likely Wolf or Falcon though.

FedSuns will probably continue to get their butts kicked. Cappies have the largest military at this point.

#13 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostBombast, on 05 July 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Last I checked, they accidentally (Or intentionally) leaked that there will be an ilClan (Which means the Clans will finally take Terra).

Thx for the correction, and Im gonna take a guess it either Wolf or JF being IllClan, and WiE maybe destroyed in the process.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 05 July 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

...the Bushwacker 2.0 OmniMech, Gauntlet

Posted Image

Two hardpoints on the Prime is lol.

Also it has hardwired CASE in the side of the mech that DOESN'T carry ammo. The ammo-laden side is CASE-less. How the hell did the designers overlook this?

#15 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 05 July 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

Thx for the correction, and Im gonna take a guess it either Wolf or JF being IllClan, and WiE maybe destroyed in the process.

Pretty sure I read speculation that Arc-Royal falls. So yeah probably.

#16 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

View PostFupDup, on 05 July 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

Two hardpoints on the Prime is lol.

Also it has hardwired CASE in the side of the mech that DOESN'T carry ammo. The ammo-laden side is CASE-less. How the hell did the designers overlook this?

Uh, what are you looking at? The Record Sheet in TRO:3145S has CASE where there is ammo, in every variant, including CASEII in the arms.
And if it is wealth of hardpoints, you get the -10B with eleven medium (pulse) lasers. Add ECM, JJ and MASC, and I am really, really happy.

View PostTetatae Squawkins, on 05 July 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

Pretty sure I read speculation that Arc-Royal falls. So yeah probably.

The fall of Arc-Royal is confirmed in TRO:3150, s.v. DI Multipurpose VTOL. The attack begins in 3146 (s.v. Cuchulainn support armor). So yeah, it's more or less confirmed.

Edited by FLG 01, 05 July 2018 - 07:30 PM.

#17 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

View PostTetatae Squawkins, on 05 July 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

3150+ is the "present day" era of the Battletech timeline. Though not much is known about what happens in the 3150+ era until the latest products come out. There are a few snippets from 3250 but the BT devs have made it pretty clear they are going to flesh out 3150 more before any timeline jumps.

We know that a Clan probably takes Terra and becomes ilClan. It's not known which one yet. Most likely Wolf or Falcon though.

FedSuns will probably continue to get their butts kicked. Cappies have the largest military at this point.

I vote with this. Post-Dark Age/Post Republic era. Time for the narrative to move forward.

Getting Dark Age mechs might require some licensing from Topps. Mechs going into the Dark Age era has begun to increasingly look more organic and sci-fi like, less industrial slabs and more curved surfaces.

I also think MWO is hitting the end of its product cycle. Games usually last this long before they have be reincarnated into a new game. Its also time to rebuild the game.

Edited by Anjian, 05 July 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 05 July 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Uh, what are you looking at? The Record Sheet in TRO:3145S has CASE where there is ammo, in every variant, including CASEII in the arms.

I don't own the physical TROs, I normally go off of what I've seen on Battletech Engineer (big online encyclopedia of record sheets, I'm not going to pay money for TROs just to view one or two sheets) and SSW. Problem is that SSW doesn't seem to go far enough into the timeline to have the Gaunt (just noticed that now) and BTE has been unusable for a long time so I can't go back to view it.

Admittedly BTE has had errors in at least a few of the posted record sheets so that may be the case here (pun not intended).

EDIT: Managed to find an archived version of BTE, here's the record sheet in question: http://goodsects.ddn...che/RS/6621.png

Edited by FupDup, 05 July 2018 - 07:47 PM.

#19 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 05 July 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

EDIT: Managed to find an archived version of BTE, here's the record sheet in question: http://goodsects.ddn...che/RS/6621.png

That's not what's in the official record sheets. It does not even look like them; I guess some fan added info to a RS template - and made a mistake. More than one actually, since it misses the MASC as well.

#20 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 05 July 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

The fall of Arc-Royal is confirmed in TRO:3150, s.v. DI Multipurpose VTOL. The attack begins in 3146 (s.v. Cuchulainn support armor). So yeah, it's more or less confirmed.

Makes sense. My knowledge of the Dark Age and beyond era is pretty spotty.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users