#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 July 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

*Ahem* Capellans rule, Kuritans drool!

Chinese games also do gacha, they're just less stingy overall. And that's more likely because the average Chinese player is nowhere near as eager to fork out lots of money as his Japanese counterpart rather than the government regulations. Azure Lane, Onmyouji, Sdorica,... are all generally similar to the Koreo-Japanese games. Almost indistinguishable, really.

Chinese government has a law, the game needs to declare the percentage of the gamble. Some Japanese games are adhering to it, for example, Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes, where a 5 star is a 3%, 4 star is a 56% and so on. War Robots would not have passed through this law. Many games won't, actually, and would require a specific version in the Chinese market that would meet all the rules there. Heck, the loot boxes in the EA games, and even the random drawing of the Supply Cache in MWO won't past either.

The Chinese government watchdog looks over the most popular games more, like Arena of Valor or Mobile Legends with bigger attention than say, Azure Lane. Also games from the bigger companies, like NetEase and Tencent, are more careful. Many Chinese games are not mainland at all, but from places like Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, or have a specific 'Western' version that isn't bound to the strict mainland regulations.

Edited by Anjian, 06 July 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#22 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

#23 IIXxXII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 July 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

I find the OP's post click-baity, with most of the video not being connected to anything robot-related... There is a short reference to war robots, but it's minor..

And War Robots is a technically superior game to MWO, because quads and better graphics..

Its not clickbait. I posted this in the hope that PGI might make an effort to market MWO more by reaching out to youtubers and others who could help them advertise & grow their business.

War Robots has better graphics? Um. I think if its graphics were better than MWO it wouldn't run on cellphone hardware. Posted Image

View PostTetatae Squawkins, on 06 July 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

Calling it a ripoff/clone is kind of specious. MWO itself is structured after other F2P games that came before it and stompy robots have been around for a long time in various forms.

I would guess the developers of War Robots aren't old enough to remember mechwarrior 4 or any of the previous stompy robot games. Thus it is a ripoff of MWO as they likely copied it from MWO rather than an older title.

#24 IIXxXII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 06 July 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

Are we really discussing the differences between a legitimate PC game vs a mobile p2w game?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?

(also agree with someone from earlier, this is such a click-bait. you literally can find a youtube video to promote the game, but instead, you find a random video of some random guy giving a 20 second shout out to his advertisers...)

Wait... are you the guy in Demolition Ranch?

Yeh. Random shoutout promo. War robots doesn't deserve its own stand alone feature clip.

I just like demolition ranch's style. This guy makes funny jokes and doesn't seem like a bloodthirsty, trigger happy, gun nut. In a way mech games invoke gauss rifles and BFG mentality, which could mean those interests align.

Last year or the year before demolition ranch did a promo for "World of Tanks". Not certain how much $$$ he is paid to promote things, or whether game devs can make the cash back claiming advertising on taxes. I wish MWO could have that dude or any good youtuber promote this game.

The new MWO players who joined after playing HbS "battletech" game could use some company. So they're not being murdered constantly in an efficient and brutal fashion. : (

Posted Image

Edited by IIXxXII, 06 July 2018 - 10:33 AM.

#25 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

War robots has no respect for its players . It's prices are insane . 300 bucks for one brand new robot that will give you the edge until the next new robot obsoletes that ......another 300 bucks of course. False advertising eg , this robot was 150 bucks but now it's only 19.99 . I played war robots for two,years and I never saw that bot sold for 150 ever . It was always priced at 19.99.

Any special events have unrealistic time frames . imagine if PGI offered you a free mech after 50 matches with 100 score .............you have 36 hours . Possible yes , you just have to sit at home and play all day .

#26 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

They down priced the top tier robots now, you can go as far as $74.99 for a Haechi with three Orkans in special offers. But the upgrade times and prices are now insane.

I am going to play this game until next year, because basically I already got all I need, and dump it like an old rag when Battle of Titans comes along.

#27 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:03 AM

View PostIIXxXII, on 06 July 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

Its not clickbait. I posted this in the hope that PGI might make an effort to market MWO more by reaching out to youtubers and others who could help them advertise & grow their business. War Robots has better graphics? Um. I think if its graphics were better than MWO it wouldn't run on cellphone hardware. Posted Image I would guess the developers of War Robots aren't old enough to remember mechwarrior 4 or any of the previous stompy robot games. Thus it is a ripoff of MWO as they likely copied it from MWO rather than an older title.

Its not how big or detailed your textures are, its how well the game is designed overall. Before it screwed itself up with massive pay 2 win, War Robots was on a winning streak that I have never seen with any mech game in history. The game play was *right* (pre-dash bot, pre-descend bot, pre-shocktrain). Much of the game play issues that plagued MWO was cleanly resolved in War Robots. Most fights were thrilling to the end. You don't need and you can't play murderballs and mobs as the tactics to win the game. Every inch of the maps are used and not wasted. You got strong and meaningful objective play with Domination and Beacon Rush (Team Deathmatch and King of the Hill ruined everything). Team Deathmatch was a big step backward because it recreated something badly familiar --- the kind of campy mistake punishing, toxic gameplay that is typical of MWO. KoTH is like Conquest with a smaller map.

War Robots is not a better game for its graphics, robots and mechanics. Its a better game because of excellent level design and game mode design (only for Domination and Beacon Rush, and perhaps for Free For All). Maps are small because you don't need a bigger map. People need to fight each other in the space of 10 minutes --- and blow through 5 worth of respawns at that time and that's only a 6 vs.6. So they don't need to go in a huge map to look for each other. You don't need zoom, green or heat vision --- that element in MWO is simply bad game design. My eyes don't ache in playing War Robots as they do in MWO even from a freaking tablet. The game is pretty stable, and so is the IT infrastructure behind it, and if people leave the game they are either deranking or have problems with their mobile connection.

People complain about the P2W in War Robots, but its what they don't complain about is what's striking They don't complain about TTK. They don't complain about NASCAR, as I have never seen a single NASCAR in my two years of play. They don't complain about assaults being left behind or assaults not pushing. They don't go around inventing game modes in the hopes because your existing game modes are too shallow and uninteresting to play. They don't complain about premades vs. pugs --- just because you create a premade in War Robots does not guarantee you an easy fight especially in the higher leagues.

Sure enough War Robots has their own problems because their company has become too greedy but their problems are very different from MWO.

WR highlights null many of the arguments put forth in MWO threads, like respawns on quickplays. We have seen respawns work very well in the easiest, quickest arcade mode of the game, like in War Thunder or Overwatch. Respawns does not make the game more FPSy, like in Fractured Space. Rather they made objective game modes meaningful.

MWO is such a waste because it has such an excellent foundation, but its creative development team and some blame goes to the player base as well, has resulted in some very bad game level and mode design, that destroyed this potential. MWO could have been a much better game, a superior game, if and if, you got game map and mode designed right. I honestly won't mind something like Beacon Rush on MWO, in fact I think MWO needs to have Beacon Rush.

Edited by Anjian, 15 July 2018 - 01:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users