325 replies to this topic

#141 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostBLOODREDSINGLE, on 14 July 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Light mechs shouldn't have the battlefield effectiveness they do. They are for scouting, Tagging and speed objectives.

I tried to have sympathy for you, because I mean I think most of us can share your frustrations with trying to fight a piranha in a Dire Wolf. It's almost impossible if it catches you by surprise.

But then you go and say that lights should basically just be for tagging and capping. TAGGING AND CAPPING.

Can you possibly think of two less fun things to do in this game?

There's over 15 light mechs in this game. A whole class of mechs, and you think the only gameplay that people should be able to have with them is standing in squares for minutes at a time, or as mobile laser pointers so that other people in the back can spam their LRMs and get all the credit for the damage at the end of match?

Anyway, based on your complaint about SSRM6 ghost heat, it sounds like you weren't an assault pilot anyway, so much as a Streak Crow pilot.

The least skilled pilots in the game are Streak Crow pilots.

From my flea to your crow, BURN.

#142 BEARDOOM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Have someone heard about C-AC20????????

#143 Hadesuwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostBLOODREDSINGLE, on 14 July 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Ree-ree PGI Nerf Light Now1!!

Your tears only makes this little 20t Endo Steel boy harder.
Posted Image

#144 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

View PostCathy, on 14 July 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Actually incorrect, lights were very effective against heavy and assault mechs in MechWarrior 3

You never played it otherwise you would know how totally incorrect that statement was. Troll on.

#145 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 16 July 2018 - 08:20 AM.
unconstructive

#146 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostBLOODREDSINGLE, on 14 July 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

You never played it otherwise you would know how totally incorrect that statement was. Troll on.

Can you explain why an entire class of mechs should be useless beyond your perceptions of how things were in an almost 20 year old game.

#147 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

In my opinion, nerfing clan LRM spread feels like an "obligatory clan nerf" - there is no real reason why you should nerf the spread, the weapon already spreads like marmalade.

The heat buff is nice, but when coupled with the spread nerf, you might as well not touch it at all.. because what you get is a weapons that can rain for days, and HAS TO rain for days to be effective.

This is not what LRM players want, nor what LRM haters want..

We want more punch, not less.

#148 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

actually, you clearly just don't know how effective a Mech of any weight class can be in the proper hands. btw, if you think a Light is just for "Scouting and Capping"?

May I present the Solitaire. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Solitaire A 25 Ton Clan Wolf-in-Exile Mech specifically designed to hunt larger mechs.

The fact you're whining about Streaks being nerfed kinda proves you can't aim worth crap. Take the time to learn and you'll find that even grazing some of the less tanky lights with most weapons is enough to cripple them, and those more tanky lights still won't last long face-to-face, which is why you have someone watch your back, or find a corner/wall so they can't get behind you.

also, for the Record, out of the Lights we have, the Commando, Urbanmech, Jenner, Jenner IIc, Wolfhound, Panther, Cougar, Adder, Kit Fox, Javelin, Pirahna and Firestarter are all meant for direct combat roles, and that's just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Granted, yes, the Firestarter and Pirahna are anti-personnel Mechs, and the Panther and Adder are Snipers, but the fact remains they're meant for combat with the enemy, not spotting them, not capturing an objective. they're meant directly for bringing pain to the enemy. Hell, the Kit Fox, Urbie and Panther are slow lights BECAUSE they're so well armored and armed for their sizes.

Edited by Arkhangel, 14 July 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#149 ackstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Looking forward to seeing how the LRM and AMS changes balance each other out.

Good thinking, should cause no change in impact to players who bring protection.

Also fun to watch the people too cheap to fit AMS cry a river about how it's not their own fault Posted Image

#150 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

I own it, I'm looking at the box right now.

If I could get the thing to load, on my current pc I'd be playing it.

Maybe you were just bad who knows..

#151 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

View Postackstorm, on 14 July 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Looking forward to seeing how the LRM and AMS changes balance each other out.

Good thinking, should cause no change in impact to players who bring protection.

Also fun to watch the people too cheap to fit AMS cry a river about how it's not their own fault Posted Image

Except the AMS buff is minor compared to the loss in effectiveness the previous velocity and ammo buffs brought.

#152 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostCathy, on 14 July 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

I own it, I'm looking at the box right now.

If I could get the thing to load, on my current pc I'd be playing it.

Maybe you were just bad who knows..

I'm going with bad, given Streaks seem to be the only way he knows how to deal with Lights. mean, sure, they're helpful, but a big part of dealing with a Light pilot is waiting for them to screw up and unloading on them when they do, or counter-ambushing them via a convenient hidey-hole/bottleneck

#153 Bwah Ha Ha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostIronEleven, on 14 July 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

Frustration dealing with morons who don't meaninfully contribute to the team and getting rewarded for it.

Oh are you talking about those long range laser or autocannon users that sit further back than my lrm boats?

#154 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 14 July 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

The heat buff is nice, but when coupled with the spread nerf, you might as well not touch it at all.. because what you get is a weapons that can rain for days, and HAS TO rain for days to be effective.

This is not what LRM players want, nor what LRM haters want.

This, and also:
More LRMs with worse spread is effectively a nerf to AMS, isn’t it?

#155 ackstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostIronEleven, on 14 July 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

Except the AMS buff is minor compared to the loss in effectiveness the previous velocity and ammo buffs brought.

As an avid AMSer, I call ******** on that. I've been able to absorb huge amounts of missiles with triple-AMS before, the only exception being of the enemy has multiple boats running at the same time.

If if multiple boats are targeting you consistently, then you have some serious team problems with finding and killing spotters, and UAVs.

Not denying that this is a real problem in public games, as many players who do pub drops really dont care about strategy or working together, they want a robot stompy game that doesn't require tactics, unless you mean how many lasers you can pack int one alpha strike without blowing up.

But if you are in a squad or playing with a clan, there is no excuse for not knowing how to counter indirect fire.

AMS is also very effective when used in groups (multiple mechs with 1 AMS standing near by each other to form a mesh of protection), but it should never be used as the primary measure for countering missiles.

AMS's whole design is to reduce the number of missiles that make it, not stop them entirely. Giving you more time to react to indirect fire situations before the toll on your armor is too much.

#156 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostBwah Ha Ha, on 14 July 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Oh are you talking about those long range laser or autocannon users that sit further back than my lrm boats?

Why i hate pokers so much. they end up dying like idiots because "OMG, but if i'm with the rest of the team, my paint might get scratched!"

...you're in a giant armored death machine. in the middle of other giant armored death machines. really the only way you get your butt kicked in that situation is letting yourself be split off from the team like.. say... i dunno... hiding in the back and poking like a wuss?

@Ack: I agree completely. for instance, it's often moaned "Polar Highlands has no cover." this is completely untrue, it's crisscrossed by trenches. the reason people assume there isn't cover is because your average pug forgets to kill the SPOTTER who snuck behind your lines. I've led several successful Pug drops on Polar where just getting the team to ace any guys who tried to spot us got us the win, even despite the LRM fire we'd take while kicking said spotter's butt.

Edited by Arkhangel, 14 July 2018 - 06:06 PM.

#157 MegaBopper

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 14 July 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Spoken like an Assault pilot who can't play his mech properly. Lights actually ARE meant to be battlefield effective. ever heard of the "Striker" role? Mechs like the Commando are actually meant as frontline combatants meant to rip apart larger mechs in hit and run attacks.

This is also why an Assault needs to stick with their team, so people can cover each other's flanks. Stop blaming a Mech class that regularly beats you due to your own ineptitude.

I can't understand why all these whiners don't seem to understand that the team and the assaults become separated because the assaults with their slow engines are the slowest mechs on the field and the others continually run away from them - NOT VICE VERSA.

Before you start accusing assault pilots of not sticking with the team maybe you should instead consider that it is the team that is not sticking with them and protecting them. Over and over it has been pointed out to team players that they need to stick together and watch each others backs, call their targets, lock and focus fire on those targets and make a real effort to help their teammates stay alive in the game. And over and over again instead of working together with their teammates to make their effort more effective they do precisely the opposite and lose.

Further in my humble opinion your constant ad hominem attacks on people who play various weapons you don't like throughout this thread only show that you are out to destroy every weapon type but just the ones you want. Learn to play as a team member with all of them. You will have a better experience working as a team member rather than a lone dead (in game) hero.

The answer was never to nerf the LRM's or try to overbias the game so that the COMP+ level players would stop whining. The real answer was always to coordinate, communicate, value and use all of the battle weapons available on the team, make use of cover and push together as a team to put down the enemy teams and win.

This community has become far too toxic. At least when we bought the box games someone wasn't constantly changing rules and we could enjoy the games instead of constantly having things changed for the worse to satisfy whiners.

Check six. To all of our ingame enemies: We are coming for you on the battlefield.

#158 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostMegaBopper, on 14 July 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

I can't understand why all these whiners don't seem to understand that the team and the assaults become separated because the assaults with their slow engines are the slowest mechs on the field and the others continually run away from them - NOT VICE VERSA.

Before you start accusing assault pilots of not sticking with the team maybe you should instead consider that it is the team that is not sticking with them and protecting them. Over and over it has been pointed out to team players that they need to stick together and watch each others backs, call their targets, lock and focus fire on those targets and make a real effort to help their teammates stay alive in the game. And over and over again instead of working together with their teammates to make their effort more effective they do precisely the opposite and lose.

Further in my humble opinion your constant ad hominem attacks on people who play various weapons you don't like throughout this thread only show that you are out to destroy every weapon type but just the ones you want. Learn to play as a team member with all of them. You will have a better experience working as a team member rather than a lone dead (in game) hero.

The answer was never to nerf the LRM's or try to overbias the game so that the COMP+ level players would stop whining. The real answer was always to coordinate, communicate, value and use all of the battle weapons available on the team, make use of cover and push together as a team to put down the enemy teams and win.

This community has become far too toxic. At least when we bought the box games someone wasn't constantly changing rules and we could enjoy the games instead of constantly having things changed for the worse to satisfy whiners.

Check six. To all of our ingame enemies: We are coming for you on the battlefield.

actually, I always tell my team to cover the assaults. it's just there's pretty much always that one guy who @#$%s off on his own and get eaten by lights, or feels the need to poke his head up and get it blown off.

Don't assume i'm bashing all assault pilots. I detest incompetent pilots regardless of what they pilot. it's a team game, act like one. nuff said.

also, I haven't been attacking weapon systems. that's you assuming again. you also might want to learn what "ad hominem" is before you accuse someone of doing it.

#159 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

So, no CW tech geo updates at all?

#160 Lethe Wyvern

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 489 posts