General Thoughts On Pts Participation And Balance

2 replies to this topic

#1 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

1. While I thought that offering incentive to play was a good thing and a nice gesture from PGI, right now I think it has backfired. At least half the mechs I'm running into in the PTS are IS brawlers, MG lights, even LRM boats (even several LBX/SRM Scorches). While I certainly want to find out (eventually) how the new weapons work against these mechs, the 4v4 format is already tough enough when you're trying to test out laser boats with the new nerfs. But if the enemy is bringing brawlers and PIR-1s, you're not going to get many shots off. Hard to get data. I suspect that many of the people playing non-PTS related builds are there to get their prize and taking whatever they deem optimal to kill clan lasvomit builds, because, well, they can and they know people are bringing them. Rock, paper, scissors.

I don't have a solution to this, but it is irritating when you're trying to test things in good faith. And its not like you can stat pad on the PTS.

2. Gauss shake is such a turn off. It's not even about staggering the shots. It's just such a crude instrument. Very low rent. I'm sure I could reskill to reduce it (does cockpit shake reduction skill apply to your own weapons?) but since I never got into HGauss in the first place, I haven't bothered. The shake really needs to go away.

3. ERMLs are useless now. Really, really bad. But we knew this going in. Still sickens me to actually play them in their current state. Very much reminds me of the last SPL nerf that killed that weapon. It's that bad.

4. The CMPL damage reduction hurts. But because that weapon is a little more heat efficient, I was able to spec my HBKIIC-A from a 7 MPL to an 8 MPL build while losing a jump jet and TC. It worked pretty well, but it did run hotter overall for a 1 pt gain in alpha dmg (more ghost heat since you're 2 over the limit instead of 1).

5. The ERLL ghost limit is a somewhat balanced nerf if you can carry the weapons. It feels hotter than it should compared to 2, but it can dish out the damage. Unfortunately, for some builds (MADIIC-D) it's a straight up dmg nerf since it can't carry anymore weapons. I suspect PGI could keep this one without much protest, but it does add to the skill gap IMO.

Summary? The population is not making it easy to do good testing. The data will be compromised because of this (among other things, like 4v4). C-ERML is dead with these nerfs. It needs 6 dmg, less heat and maybe a little less duration. C-MPL suffers. Boost it back to 7 and leave it alone for now. LPL and ERLL are probably fine with these changes. I don't think they're good for the game in the long run, but there is some give and take at least when it comes to large class lasers. Dump the Gauss shake.

#2 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

I wanted to see how my Annihilator fared against nerfed clan lasers, but with the 4v4 format, I realized I can't tell since my point of reference is QP/FP.

#3 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

View PostIronEleven, on 13 July 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

I wanted to see how my Annihilator fared against nerfed clan lasers, but with the 4v4 format, I realized I can't tell since my point of reference is QP/FP.

I can tell you this right now... Annis are close to unbeatable in the 4v4 setup, unless you're running something that outranges them (against a dual HGauss Anni) or have another Anni on your team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users