Thinking 3 Large Clan Lasers Is Not A Good Idea

2 replies to this topic

#1 VorpalMechBunny

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:42 AM

This is particularly in regards to the ERLL because of its weight and crit size, but somewhat for both er and pulse versions. If the purpose of these changes is to reduce laser vomit alpha abuse, Don't undo the changes by then allowing 3 larges without penalty. If that means a bit of reduction to the nerf hit on erl and lpl then that's fine, it just seems contrary to the purpose of these balance changes.

#2 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

Two large lasers per click is ok for a 75 tonner but for a 100 tonner this ghost heat limitation of 2 lasers before penalty is clearly obsolete and overly restrictive. if you happen to use 5-6 erll on a 90-100 tonner (which is easy to accomplish) then you are going to be penaltized by ghost heat and having to stagger not two but THREE weapon groups to avoid it. Which makes the whole mech kinda half broken and this weapon setup very unattractive and pretty mcuh unusable to its full potential.

I think that 3 erll serve two ideas:
-remove obsolete and overly restrictive gh penalty on assaults;
-allow people to keep the laser alphas high but at the cost of having to live with long beam durations, bad damage per heat values and less double heat sinks installed with less speed on your mech. Plus you need an assault mech;

Edited by lazorbeamz, 14 July 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#3 VorpalMechBunny

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

I'd be neutral on ghost heat differences per weight class but that seems to be adding complexity that I doubt they would do right now.

I agree that 2 is a bit restrictive but am sort of responding to it withing the bubble of reducing alpha strikes being the goal. If the goal was just to retool some of the differences of clan vs IS laser, then 3 could still make sense. Again also a bit less of a problem with LPL since they are bigger and heavier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users