My Thoughts On The Changes.

No replies to this topic

#1 LK4D4

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

Greetings. Let's start with how I testing things - in order.
(all games played were in mechs with at least 2 games each weapon)

Clan Gauss.
I started with the Blood Asp (BAS-Prime) and found that firing both Gauss and 6 ER-Medium Lasers was still effective when timed accordingly. This was done by firing the Gauss cannons, then following approx .5 seconds later with the lasers. The mech would auto-correct back to it's original position. I did not like that feature. See below.
Moving onto the Marauder IIC (MAD-IIC-D) where 2 Gauss and 2 ER-Large Lasers were my weapons; it felt a little better to use the lasers then follow-up with the Gauss to avoid the recoil as much as possible. Or, use one or the other, not alpha striking, when a small opportunity arose, to better utilize the damage.
I also used another Marauder (MAD-IIC-C) with 2 Gauss and 4 Heavy Medium Lasers. This was a good build that felt little in terms of the change. Again, the recoil didn't do much when you timed it right.
To conclude about the Gauss recoil: it is a nice change. Although, if you were to continue with the recoil aspect (which I like the idea), change the recoil to reset the mech's torso point of fire (the center of the screen) to where the recoil set it immediately after firing the Gauss (ie, fire Gauss, recoil makes laser fire go left, mech centers to that new location). OR, let other weapon fire follow the erratic path the Gauss takes after firing until it subsides.

Clan ER-Small Lasers
I tried one of my favorite builds with the Viper (VPR-A) having a NARC and 5 ER-Small Lasers. It perfomed a little better than I expected. Changes make this unaffected.

Clan ER-Medium Lasers
The Kodiak (KDK-5) was next using 6 ER-Medium and 3 Large Pulse Lasers on board. See below for thoughts on the L-Pulses. You can really feel a difference with 6 Meds. Very hot with the Pulses. In retrospect, the damage-heat ratio helps even out the alpha strikes when a player decides to maximize on this change. They'll be forced to take hiding for longer periods, damaging less of the enemy, or risk a possible push and overheating.
My change idea: try a 6 damage, heat reduction to 5.8-6.0, but make the heat scale trigger at 5 instead of 6.

Clan ER-Large Lasers
I didn't see much change in this weapon when playing with the Marauder IIC (MAD-IIC-D). See notes above during Gauss play. However, there was in fact a smaller damage output. I believe it performed okay.
My next mech I tried this on was with my favorite, the Viper (VPR-B) with 2 ER-Large Lasers. First match was fairly similar to normal games (in terms of damage and heat). Second game also the same result. Change is acceptable.

Clan Medium Pulse Lasers
Moving onto the Ebon Jaguar (EBJ-A and EBJ-B) with 7 Medium Pulse Lasers. You could definitely feel the difference with this mech. Less destructive punch, but the heat was still real.
Still a very effective mech, regardless of new numbers. Changes are good.

Clan Large Pulse Lasers
I used the Kodiak (KDK-5) for this review (as noted above). Heat was still very hot, making the change better, but with consequences. What you may ask? Well, less damage. This should mitigate the need for the ER-Med-L-Pulse combo that so many players use. I am okay with the change.

Clan Heavy Medium Lasers
The Marauder IIC (MAD-IIC-C) was my choice mech with 2 Gauss and 4 Heavy Medium Lasers. I didn't see much change in how I handled this mech. Thus, the change is acceptable.

Clan Heavy Large Lasers
Finally, I played with the Couger (COU-E) with 2 Heavy Large Lasers. Good build for me, except it was almost as though the mech underperformed during my four games.
Changes I would like to see would be a slightly better cooldown incorporated with the damage reduction. Otherwise, yes, if you were hoping for a less damaging mech with this weapon, you got it.

All in all, the changes are good to alleviate the damage potential compared to the Inner Sphere. Thanks for letting us test for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users