2 replies to this topic

#1 TheeGravedigger

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBurnaby

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

So, this game is set in the 3049 and based on the Tabletop game, but is it closer to the Catalyst, FanPro or Fasa editions of the game, and how similar are those editions?

I'm wanting to get into the Tabletop game, I'm also wanting to understand the mech design and building system. Obviously there will be some differences, but some familiarity with the various weapons systems would likely help me develop and tweak my own mech designs in the mechlab, eventually.

Far as I can tell, I should pick up the Total Warfare and Tech Manual from Catalyst and memorize those.

Also, any thoughts on the Starter Box, and if it's worth getting one?

Edited by TheeGravedigger, 25 July 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#2 Tokra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

I guess you mean for rulebooks, not for the novels.

The easiest is the Intoduction Box. In this is everything you need to start with.
I cant say if this one is still worth it. I bought the second edition a while ago, but even on this one i have to say, it was worth it. Its the easiest way to start, and way easier than getting through a 300 page Rulebook.

In my opinion the best pure rule book is the Total Warfare. And if you want to get deeper into BT i would say to get this one.

#3 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

Total Warfare and Tech Manual are great books and give you all the rules to play the game and build any unit in the game.

I highly highly suggest you start with the boxed set (the current edition is by far the nicest boxed set ever done for Battletech). If you don't know the rules the hard back books will be daunting but the boxed set is designed for beginners. The Starterbook: Sword and Dragon is a great companion to the box set. If gives you what you need to run a campaign with linked missions.

If you skip the boxed set and starterbook then you can download the Chaos Campaign pdf for free which gives the campaign play rules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users