Consider Tracking Match-Ups For Elo Calculations, Prevent Exploit, Reduce Frustration

9 replies to this topic

#1 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

Currently Elo is awarded or lost for each win or loss without regard for history. If the same pair meet over and over again, and one player wins all the fights, the net Elo flow becomes disproportionately high due having to no regard for history and this is wrong. This is because the original Elo system assumes random and evenly distributed matchs, this doesn't take place in MWO Solaris.

My suggestion is to go to a system where the history of matches between pairs is remembered, so in cases of consecutive wins or losses, the first win awards the normal number of points, the second only half, and the third and additional wins award 0 Elo. When the first loss occurs, the normal number of points is lost, and the second consecutive loss, only half, etc.

This means that even when queue is low, and 2 players keep facing each other, the loss of Elo is stemmed after two matches so the loser can choose to keep playing without risk. The winner can choose to continue or walk away. I believe this will reduce frustration for the larger portion of the player base.

As for exploits, this increases the effort to sync drop during low pop times for the purpose of transferring points from one account to another.

#2 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:24 PM

This season is a total abortion. I can't believe someone is being paid to administer a tournament and just took a decent first Season and made it garbage.

The points system is so absurd, I can't believe someone didn't just trash Solaris on purpose.

Time to pull the plug, fix your scoring system and start over PGI.

Unreal, I want to play, but can't in the spirit of fairness, when the system.... This is not a tournament.

Go back to the drawing board PGI.... You had a decent system that just needed to be tweaked a little.... The sooner you realize how irrelevant the scoring system is, and it is in no way an indication of anything resembling a representation of who is doing better, or "winning" at anything besides playing matches in a system which doesn't....

Fire whoever did this and fix it.

#3 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:27 PM

This is garbage.... The fact the first 10 games are weighted so heavily is nonsense... Inflates and deflates what should be people's rankings, and just fails at any attempt at game design and scoring.

#4 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:30 PM

Go back to square 1 from Season 1.... Use the scoring system as it was after you fixed the payouts the first time... Whatever this is, it isn't a representation of anything resembling a leaderboard.

Whoever came up with this should be ashamed of themselves.

I'll get this out to the community on the streams before long... Competing games, I mean, how can anyone who has played a 1v1 sport in any kind-of tournament, hell, just think of the individual names as teams.... Who cares what they were trying to do here. It's all garbage. Get a clue.

#5 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

As someone who has been a competitor in all kinds of sports, games, leagues.... I just don't see how anyone could take a decent start to a system.... Utterly destroy any semblance of anything regarding a....

Yeah, I don't have the words... This must take a special kind-of stupid I can't comprehend to look at and think, LOOKS GREAT!

PGI needs to explain what is going on with the scoreboard.

#6 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

I said this in another thread. I find it suspicious how many finished say top 50 season 1, and are top 10 in various divisions in the new season 2... who are such average QP stats players but are putting up ridiculously high wlr ratios as to make one question the legitimacy of such results. I wish the queue showed user IDs of who's in it at launch, and who they're defeating for their wins... be interesting to look up the account stats of so many who are obviously doing nothing but lose to pad someone's win stats. Wasn't there originally supposed to be some sort of spectator mode where you could watch others matches in progress?

I ran into one in particular while on my alt tonight... I was tinkering on builds.. 1 person in queue.... 8 seconds to go it shows 2 in queue... i launch and with a 1200 something SSR rating at the time in that division (started new div with a 1 win 5 loss streak) and got this guy who had a ssr in the 2100s at the time. Makes me wonder what the ssr of the 3rd player was that I was the closer match to this guy. I checked his jarl's stats after losing to some suspiciously accurate weapons fire from long range. He's barely above a 1 WLR over 24 months. I just played another in a stock Nova-S(C) who when i looked the name up on jarl's... in 24 previous months ZERO stats. But has a legend founder tag and showed up on the QP leaderboard this month with bearly 200 matches played. Another player I faced is 0W/20L... by a coincidence looking up my own rank, I found another account name, almost identical that's 1W/1L. Literally the same name except for the using a 1 instead of an I in the name.

Edited by Dee Eight, 20 July 2018 - 11:48 PM.

#7 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:48 AM

MechWarrior Registry Ranked Percentage Index was created because Elo and other scoring systems are garbage

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Yep, extremely easy to exploit since sync drops are so easy.

#9 Mechwarrior8985372

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

View PostReichKaiser, on 21 July 2018 - 04:16 AM, said:

You get bonus SSR for your 1st 10 games, you have to play 25 minimum to qualify for rewards, if someone wins 10 games who is not supposed to have won those 10 games, they are going to lose the next 15 and drop back down, or get no more SSR for wins vs bad players, and good players will have risen above the SSR for having won 1st 10 games. The season is 3 months, it will balance out.

This helps distribute the playerbase to their correct SSR fast, which is great for lower skilled players to not get demoralized by constant losses and is very good when there is 20 people in a Queue, which happens when RJBASS or nuttyrat or other streamers stream solaris 1v1, people get good, close matchups.

You do not get bonus SSR from people still in their 1st 10 games for beating them, you will get your normal +3 or whatever while they get -188 or whatever it is, For PGI, what they have implemented is decent.

It would be nice if we had more people playing, or a "multiqueue system" where you tick what divisions your willing to queue into, so we get more matches more easily with more close fights, at the moment 7 queues is too many, hopefully MW5 will bring in more people to MWO.

It would be nice if PGI had communicated this new Season 2 10 placement matches system to us, would have helped ease some of this concern by clarification.

It would be nice if after the Tutorial there was a mechlab / queue types tutorial in game that you had to watch b4 you could play.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 July 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

I just played 2 games. I was 8-0 in a particular Div.

I earnt +7 ELO from those 2 games.

So in furtherance to my earlier statement of 10 games. It appears that it is 'hard capped' to 'X' ELO. Now I don't know what that ELO is exactly but I would say based on my ELO that is is hard capped at 2100 ELO.

So either 10 games or 2100 ELO... Whichever comes first.

This then - is an even MORE reasonable system than I first thought. The fact is hard a cap limit.

Anyway the tin-foil-hat-crew will still tin-foil-hat. So let them be I guess.

#10 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

the way of the boost:

1. use alt account and win 10 easy matches during off hours to get to 2k Elo
2. drop boosted account against main account to transfer Elo, just wait until the last second on the timer
3. enjoy super high Elo other players have to play 100 games for

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users