Probs I Have With S7

7 replies to this topic

#1 Zkeley

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

I came back after a short break from MWO to find out S7 had changed a bit and there was an event going on for it. I gave it a try and hated it. I am not big on the idea of 1V1 and 2V2 in a team based game already but its a neat concept. I feel like this could work its just the lack of matchmaking and similar build matching that really ruins S7. I want to know if im the only one who feels this way, and or other complaints.

The first problem I have are the divisions overly complicating things. Why do we have divisions in the first place? why not just que people together based on weight of mech, or its type (light, medium, heavy assault). I was playing a HBR prime and got paired against a King crab and thought "okay this will be tough." of course I was slaughtered. Then I qued in a division with my PIR and faced another king crab. So the HBR was a stretch but the PIR vs the King Crab was just not winnable. the thing thats more insulting is after he three shot me, he said sorry. so he knew it was crap matchmaking as well.

I would just like to see the division system eliminated and match mechs best on tonnage or type.

lets discuss.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:10 AM

View PostZkeley, on 25 July 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

I feel like this could work its just the lack of matchmaking and similar build matching that really ruins S7.
The problem is the lack of population. There are periods when the queue is just dead.

The first problem I have are the divisions overly complicating things. Why do we have divisions in the first place? why not just que people together based on weight of mech, or its type (light, medium, heavy assault).
Because mechs in the same weight class, tonnage bracket - even variants of the same chassis - can display a massive performance disparity. The existing system seems to have roughly started at tonnage categories with +/- variation based on individual variant performance.

I was playing a HBR prime and got paired against a King crab and thought "okay this will be tough." of course I was slaughtered.
1. HBRs aren't a good option in div 3. You don't have enough survival and heat management.
2. Were you going for body shots or aimed for legs?.KGCs have armor quirks for torso locations, but not for legs - and people tend to put explosive ammo there.

So the HBR was a stretch but the PIR vs the King Crab was just not winnable.
It's winnable if you don't facetank. The key is to use your speed to get behind the KGC, leg it and tear apart its' rear armor. An alternative is to run 2xERLL and shred the KGC at range.

#3 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

You can probably just ignore Horseman. A lot of this posts are troll critique.

But yes, currently, meta is horrific in Solaris.
Division 4 is basically getting rick rolled by Jagermechs with some combination of 6 ac2.
Divisions 1 and 2 are basically just turret divisions with 100 ton mechs just backing up to a wall and not having anything else that can compete with the armor and firepower.

the only divisions I've seen with good competition are the lower power curve Divisons, like D6 & D7. And even then, there's mech in those tiers, like the assassin and other mechs that just have good hard qualities.

Basically, you only lose ELO points for the Leaderboards, and the point gains for loot is pretty average. So if you don't care about the competition or people with meta troll builds, win or lose you get about the same stuff.
Personally, it's just boring and lame that you can tell weather you're gonna have a good match or lose before you even get to pilot you mech.

#4 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

You can probably just ignore Horseman. A lot of this posts are troll critique.

Just because you do not understand my points does not mean I'm a troll.

As far as the scenarios described here go, I'm speaking from experience.

I ran Div 3 long enough to face several HBRs and KGCs last season.

For HBRs, dumb ones try to brawl, smart ones try to snipe... both get their legs shot off by a competent brawler. Granted, I have yet to see one HBR in S7 with adequate heat management, but I doubt that would change much.

If facing KGCs in anything but a light or fast medium you go for body or arms you're doing it wrong - all of their torso locations have armor quirks, but the legs do not. Leg a KGC, get behind him and you can finish the other leg without having to stare into his guns.

In fact, that so far tends to be one of the more effective ways to go at Solaris - too many players still haven't learned to not shave leg armor and keep explosive ammo away from the legs of their solaris builds.

As for KGC vs PIR, I've been on the receiving end as the KGC several times, and the only time the PIR lost was because he kept circling me and I managed to get a lead on his movement pattern with my main guns.
ON1 vs the 2xERLL PIR went almost as badly until PIR got overconfident and crossed a corner to fire on what he thought would be my back, instead discovering 24 SRMs flying right for him.

Edited by Horseman, 27 July 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#5 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostHorseman, on 27 July 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Just because you do not understand my points does not make me a troll.

I understand that the majority of your "points" are broadly applied statements with no exacting specification to warrant much to actually understand other than the board generalization to which they apply. I apologize if this was received as a direct insult.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

View PostHorseman, on 27 July 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Just because you do not understand my points does not mean I'm a troll.

You should be used to that by now. Well over half the playerbase just doesn't 'get it', im not sure they are capable TBH.

But yeah population is the biggest issue. I had 1900ELO in one Div, and was paired with someone that had 1300ELO... And there was 4 people in the queue. The queue, IMO, isn't working properly. I don't have exacting proof yet, but when I've got a gut feel I'm usually right.

View PostViking Yelling, on 27 July 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

I understand that the majority of your "points" are broadly applied statements with no exacting specification to warrant much to actually understand other than the board generalization to which they apply. I apologize if this was received as a direct insult.

Talk about a not specific post... That was it. What an absolute bunch of word soup.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

View PostViking Yelling, on 27 July 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

I understand that the majority of your "points" are broadly applied statements with no exacting specification to warrant much to actually understand other than the board generalization to which they apply.
Because I'm tired of having to explain the obvious over and over.
Understand this: low pop -> low players in queue -> worse matchmaking quality overall because the system doesn't have enough players to work with. Adding further restrictions would only make it even worse than it is now.
And as far as tonnage-based divisions go, it's very clear that's how the division grouping started, with mechs then being bumped up and down based on how PGI perceived their performance.

Edited by Horseman, 28 July 2018 - 12:20 AM.

#8 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:17 AM

trolls trolling trolls to attract trolls who troll trolls....lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users