Pgi "balancing" A.k.a. "what Happens When You Don't Play Your Own Game

Balance Metagame Mode

22 replies to this topic

#1 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Nerf:

Most things progressively in a downward spiral.
Clan 80+ alpha loadouts not seriously used (CRITICAL PRIORITY)
Already bad Clan weapons related to the above by being "Clan."
"Unfun" for victim weapons requiring aim (Gauss/PPC)

Buff:

LRMs, because these are so much fun for victims.

Ignore:
MG spam
AC2 spam in Solaris 7
Annihilator division in Solaris 7

-

Wait, why are player numbers down again?

#2 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image

I am the Bostik Hunter and I do not know much about game balance, but let's just nerf Clan Lasers anyway because I have a chronic fear of Boogeymen!

#3 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

View PostSmokedJag, on 28 July 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

AC2 spam in Solaris 7 everywhere

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

PPC and Gauss require additional hurdle because they are PPFLD weapons. Cause as much as lasers, and missiles, and ACs became meta, none of them made MWO more stale and lame to play than the PPFLD meta of 2013.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

clan laser vomit was never a huge problem when mechs could torso twist to spread the damage. PGI created the whole laser vomit epidemic by continually nerfing mech agility.

First they took away the free mobility buffs mechs used to get from the old skill tree. And the new mobility skill tree is completely useless and not worth putting points into at all.

Secondly they botched engine desync bigtime. Mechs like the night gyr had their baseline agility excessively nerfed. A 75 ton mech that steers like a 95 ton mech is a joke. And the baseline agility for assaults in general is set waaay too low.

Edited by Khobai, 28 July 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#6 F1oyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

The current state after the lrm buffs is the worst i have seen since closed beta. The game is hardly any fun anymore. The changes on the current pts make things even worse. I'd like to see all balnce decisions rolled back since the rescale. Around that time we had the best MWO we ever had.

Edited by Floyd Foster, 28 July 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#7 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

If anything it's the community's fault. They've pulled PGI in multiple directions when it's come to balancing
only to rage when said balance comes about.

Doesn't help that one side has a massive victim complex.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,759 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostFloyd Foster, on 28 July 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

The current state after the lrm buffs is the worst i have seen since closed beta. The game is hardly any fun anymore. The changes on the current pts make things even worse. I'd like to see all balnce decisions rolled back since the rescale. Around that time we had the best MWO we ever had.

The thing is the LRM had a small buff (heat) and a small nerf (more spread), but still a change was made and announced that helped bring them into "FOCUS" again for the current player base, a player base that many had REMOVED AMS from their mechs or had ignored that portion of the skill tree......

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

View PostFloyd Foster, on 28 July 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

The current state after the lrm buffs is the worst i have seen since closed beta. The game is hardly any fun anymore.

Hahaha, not even close. This is so mild compared to the old 2 damage per missile LRM with 90 degrees tracking. And back then even less people equipped AMS.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 July 2018 - 05:36 PM.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 28 July 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

If anything it's the community's fault. They've pulled PGI in multiple directions when it's come to balancing

Doesn't help that one side has a massive victim complex.

Great post.

Pgi is no innocent victim here.
However, the ugly truth is that the Battletech franchise inherently attracts an older audience that frankly suck at PVP games.

So what happens? Pgi punished the few players that were actually good without taking into account that no matter what the majority of their player base is going to get their ISH pushed in no matter what.

In other words, the filthy scrubby masses are going to cry no matter what and in the mean time everyone else has been alienated from the game because "ballance."

GG close, PGI

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

I don't always agree with what PGI thinks is best for balance. But I also don't like the circle jerk that ensues at all the jibes at the devs. People sometimes take their outrage to childish levels.

#12 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 28 July 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

Great post.

However, the ugly truth is that the Battletech franchise inherently attracts an older audience that frankly suck at PVP games.

So what happens? Pgi punished the few players that were actually good without taking into account that no matter what the majority of their player base is going to get their ISH pushed in no matter what.

In other words, the filthy scrubby masses are going to cry no matter what and in the mean time everyone else has been alienated from the game because "ballance."

GG close, PGI

Better yet Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

#13 F1oyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:50 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 July 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Hahaha, not even close. This is so mild compared to the old 2 damage per missile LRM with 90 degrees tracking. And back then even less people equipped AMS.

I disaggree. Back then mechs had better agility and there was no Polar Lumrlands AND other weapon systems were more potent to counter the lurm spam. The game is in a worse state in general right now so all i stay with my statement. Personally i had more fun during the other lurm phases than now.

#14 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:08 AM

View PostFloyd Foster, on 28 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

I disaggree. Back then mechs had better agility and there was no Polar Lumrlands AND other weapon systems were more potent to counter the lurm spam. The game is in a worse state in general right now so all i stay with my statement. Personally i had more fun during the other lurm phases than now.

Clearly you need a reminder. Back then an Atlas died not to concentrated fire from several LRM mechs like now, but from a single LRM boat. Not only from twice as much damage per missile, or even 90% degree tracking, but also from far tighter spread patterns compared to now. That's how strong LRMs were.

See that unlucky Highlander-732? See how its STs are very much intact while its CT is destroyed? See how its pilot was one of the veteran players yet died to CT death like a mere pug anyway? That's how tight the LRM spread was.

Posted Image

And a word about LRM counters--Only build that had better success at the time was the PPFLD meta with Gauss + PPCs--as shown in the screenshot above, but believe me when I say that PPFLD meta was far far more poisonous to the game compared to what we have now, and PGI' lack of response to that meta for a year had created one big exodus of players away from the game. That setup was gutted at last during the middle of 2014, and good riddance to that.

Edited by El Bandito, 29 July 2018 - 05:39 PM.

#15 F1oyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:43 AM

I liked gauss ppc very much and still do. Looks like we have different opinions on this topic.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:43 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 July 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

And a word about LRM counters--Only build that had better success at the time was the PPFLD meta with Gauss + PPCs--as shown in the screenshot above, but believe me when I say that PPFLD meta was far far more poisonous to the game compared to what we have now, and PGI' lack of response to that meta for a year had created one big exodus of players away from the game. That setup was gutted at last during the middle of 2014, and good riddance to that.

imo the first noticable exodus started with ghost heat lol

#17 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:03 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 28 July 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Doesn't help that one both sides have a massive victim complex.

FTFY ;)

#18 Red-Mattila

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:18 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 28 July 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

Great post.

GG close, PGI

Can't argue with that, another thing is that the battletech seems to have two player groups. Players who started playing after the clans were introduced and were fine with it and those who came before and have been complaining about it ever since. PGI did nothing to help matters by introducing the clans as they should have been performance wise but not having a gameplay mechanic to balance the tech out. So what happened was the clans were OP as hell in the beginning and nothing PGI did after was not going to be enough because of that initial butt kicking.

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:54 AM

View PostRed-Mattila, on 29 July 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

So what happened was the clans were OP as hell in the beginning and nothing PGI did after was not going to be enough because of that initial butt kicking.

PGI did in fact introduce hyper quirks to IS mechs, and IS mechs started to dominate Clans but then Clanners complained so IS quirks were reduced to a shadow of their former glory. Poor Wolverine...

Edited by El Bandito, 29 July 2018 - 05:58 AM.

#20 Red-Mattila

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 July 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

PGI did in fact introduce hyper quirks to IS mechs, and IS mechs started to dominate Clans but then Clanners complained so IS quirks were reduced to a shadow of their former glory. Poor Wolverine...

It took a really long time for the quirks to be introduced, and by the time they were it was to late. So we ended up on this cycle of nerfs to one or other.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users