Faction Play - A New Hope (Pgi Taking Input)

1163 replies to this topic

#81 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

Just gonna touch on something that I've seen here. (Don't worry.. all points are being read and looked at.)

Increasing defensive HP on Incursion. This is an issue that has a double edge to it. Yes, making a base really tough to take out makes it feel more like actually assaulting a hardened installation. However, what happens when Team A is down to 4 'Mechs remaining and Team B with 3 'Mechs decides to stay in the base. Team A is going to be pounding at the walls for a lonnng time just trying to get in.

im cool with that, if it comes down to that then either/both teams didn't play well enough to win.

#82 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

I don't know what's considered possible or reasonable beyond simple stuff, so bear with me.

Simplest change I'd like to see is changing the ticket count required for victory in conquest from 1250 to 1500. Conquest in FP is a great fit and I more often than not enjoyed whenever we got to play it. But the time to victory just feels a bit too short, with games ending when there's still a chance for a good fight.

Going a step further I'd like to see some benefit for loyalists who stick with their one faction. An idea is to let LP become a currency after you reach rank 20 and allows you to buy faction camos, colours, cockpit items and maybe mech variants. Something along the lines of that.

Biggest thing I would like to see is more 4v4 or maybe even an 8v8 gametype. Scouting can be a good bit of fun and a refreshing change of pace from the usual 12v12 stuff. Another 4v4 mode focusing on Heavies/Assaults is something I think could have potential. Just more of the smaller scale stuff would be nice in general, lot of potential there.

And the wacky impossible stuff that would be fun is removing the 4 mech dropdeck limit and instead just bringing as many mechs as you want up to the tonnage limit. Because a 12 man bringing 13 waves of locusts could make for good memes.

#83 Rustyhammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

A few small QoL improvements:

Lobby
- get rid of the "select" button. Way too many times people forget to press select and drop with incorrect drop deck.
- increase minimum time for mech selection from 60 sec to 90 sec.

Friends list
- add a "Refresh" button that reloads friends list. Right now the only option is to leave the group and re-login.
- let players set statuses - online, away, invisible. Invisible status is required to deal with team evasion.

Unit coffers:
- Let units assign 'FP drop tax' - say 2-3% of CBills for every FP drop is going to unit coffer.
- Let units buy and outfit new mechs that can be transferred to unit members. Make these mechs only available for FP matches until unit member either paid back its cost or fully skilled it or something else. If the player is leaving unit, an unpaid mech (or full cost of the mech) is transferred back to the unit's coffer. This should drive new players to join a unit, stop them dropping with trial drop decks and give reason for the unit members to play FP rather than QP/GQ.

#84 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPacific Standard Timezone

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

for PGI:
Can the coffers finally do something? Please?

Even if you don't want to do planet upgrades, can we at least give C-bills to people who don't have C-bills for certain 'mechs or builds so it can be donated and used for said 'mech and build?

While I'd like to see things like drop ship upgrades, turret, or generator health re-enforcement, I understand that could be hard to balance. I think its worth a shot though to play with the idea of the coffers being more than just a recruitment fee or giving people more pieces of map to conquer.

#85 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Please let us buy more than 4 drop decks.

Edited by Appogee, 02 August 2018 - 06:44 PM.

#86 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

View PostRustyhammer, on 02 August 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

*snip*

- Let units buy and outfit new mechs that can be transferred to unit members. Make these mechs only available for FP matches until unit member either paid back its cost or fully skilled it or something else. If the player is leaving unit, an unpaid mech (or full cost of the mech) is transferred back to the unit's coffer. This should drive new players to join a unit, stop them dropping with trial drop decks and give reason for the unit members to play FP rather than QP/GQ.

Said player who is leaving with an unpaid for 'Mech has 0 CB in his account. Now what? This is part of the reason why I mentioned that unit inventory systems are a pretty strong no-go from the start.

#87 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 August 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Anybody tired of the Usual Solaris, scouting and invasion, quickplay, and comp play? I feel that, MWO could at least have PVE, and implement a better Faction Play system. Here's three other systems that could have been put in place together for an adequate PVE.

Repair System in Faction Play

Mechs when used at Faction Play, actually needs time to be repaired between subsequent missions. This is where having multiple mechs have an advantage because other mechs can just fill in for the old mechs. Weapons can be destroyed permanently, or just in need of repairs depending on the damage.

Repair may just need CBills, maybe even add extra waiting time ranging from either a whole day, or just a few minutes.

Also the requirement to replace missing weapons provides an opportunity to add one-use better weapons. Like specific weapons and ammo with innate +% on range, velocity, accuracy, CD, or even Damage.

Note that Repair System is only active on Faction Play. QP, Comp, and Solaris would have no such system, and wouldn't be another CBill sink. If you got broke, then stop playing Faction for a while and just play QP or Solaris.

PAY FOR CONVENIENCE and wait times.

I don't like the micro-pay style, but i do see some more way of income if they use MCs as a way to circumvent wait times they might put in place. As in you might need to wait travel time between planets or jobs, wait for those repairs.

I do think it's cancerous, but hey that's Online Game for you.

RADIANT QUESTS

Aren't you tired of the usual game modes? Couldn't we just play like a damn merc, and go on some jobs? Play as premade group of 4, and just do a specific job.

Like just "Last Stand" where waves of enemy NPC mechs could be moving towards an objective you're supposed to defend, and being attacked in the process. Since they are just stock mechs -- or if they are just stock mechs -- with simple AI, they should be relatively easy right?

Maybe destroy a premade base like a one-sided incursion with only 4 v 12 npcs. Or kill a specific, hardened high-quality AI in assassin quests. etc.

With the current maps, the AI that is already in the game through the Academy, this should be possible right?

Job Rewards, aside from CBills could be in the form of Salvages, as in you could get an AC10 or AC20 depending on the mechs you destroyed. Certain jobs can directly give you certain rewards like a free mechbay.

There's just so many things MWO could have been. I get that MW5 and HBS BattleTech could serve me better in what i want, but this is just sad.

I want PVE. Just one-sided game-modes against NPC.

One of the game modes could function as Incursion but the players doesn't have any base, and the players are against the NPC that has a Base. So it's 4 players vs 12 NPC.

Or Zombie Mode, that waves of NPCs ranging from 12 to 36 presumably stock mechs moving towards the base we're supposed to protect.

#88 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 August 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

I want PVE. Just one-sided game-modes against NPC.

I can say with 99% certainty, PVE will not be in MWO anytime soon.

#89 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:47 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

Said player who is leaving with an unpaid for 'Mech has 0 CB in his account. Now what? This is part of the reason why I mentioned that unit inventory systems are a pretty strong no-go from the start.

Perhaps let the player accumulate HXP for piloting unit owned mechs, but the mechs can never leave the unit? If XP alone isn't incentive enough maybe they can earn HSP for said mech chassis? No transfer of mechs or cbills just the ability to earn HXP/HSP without purchasing the mech? Would Also give Unit players the ability to live test 'unit approved loadouts' without having to purchase the mech. Which would be a huge benefit to new players trying to enter FP.

#90 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I can say with 99% certainty, PVE will not be in MWO anytime soon.

Why not? It could at least foster more interest in Faction Play. Invite more players, which FP and MWO kinda needs.

#91 creativeabyss

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

my actual 2 cents (not pie in the sky dream) now that I know this thread is actually going to be looked at, by the way, thank you for just coming in and communicating with us Mr Inouye. I hope this is the beginning of a continuous dialog between us players and you devs. its a welcome change of pace, now on to my essay on fw :P sorry its so long, I just cant express these concepts in short sentences without losing the intent behind the thought.

1: I would like to ask that you replace voting. its difficult for a unit or group of units to try and create an rp driven mode, when people who have no idea about the forum and ts meta drown out any thought out attack strategies with with mass voting for a planet whos name sounds cool. it makes any attempt to achieve a long term objective impossible. I would instead ask that you let units receive a vote multiplier based upon how many planets they have taken while loyal to any particular faction. this allows units that have been loyal for a long time to achieve more say in the world that fw represents, and it allows new units who seek that level of influence a method to achieve it (that method being play harder and more than the other guys, and get more planets for your faction so that you can earn your influence).

2: in regards to your goal of having players choose their faction on a match by match basis, I think that is a not great idea. it gives credence to the notion that loyalists are meaningless, as it would then be much easier to bandwagon onto the side that is winning to receive any inevitable victory rewards, be it mc and a planet tag, or any other rewards that get implemented in the future. if loyalists had enough incentive to stay loyal, then this may be a powerful counterpoint to them, however, the way you presented the thought implies that it would not be released alongside any (dare I make this joke?) similar 'buffs' to the loyalist lifestyle, and therefore it would just exasperate an existing issue.

3: another point id like to address, is your take on large units. it has been my experience that large units are good ways to keep people playing, and a lot of the older, large loyalist units used to do a very good job of training new players up, and showing them how to become better. Without a real social area within the client, this is the best way for skills and ideas to be passed down. large units may be causing problems when it comes to fair distribution of planet tags, but the only tangible benefit to receiving a tag is MC, so it may be a better idea to rethink how mc/rewards are distributed at the end of a phase. large units, however, are not a large problem, in fact they are a solution to the current problem of a rough new player experience, and it would probably be more helpful for the entire game if large units were prominently displayed for people to attempt to join. as evidence, I simply ask that you take a look at hhod. they may be laughed at for lrming, but that's just jokes. everyone knows that they are actually an extremely good, coordinated unit, and new players looking to learn are routinely redirected to them for guidance when any new players ask in a thread were they can get better. instead of hurting these types of units, it would be beneficial to facilitate their growth.

4. you mention that you would like the rp to be driven through pgi run events. while I don't see fault in that per se, I think it would be better if either the "narrative" of pgi's fw be player driven, or that there be at minimum continuous player input influencing pgis narrative. this could be as simple as putting a poll on the main website page a week before every time a pgi run event is held, giving a couple options that could possibly happen for an event that people can vote on. I enjoy the concept of fw being very player driven, and I think leaving it player driven leaves room for more rp and space nerd politics to occur, which are definetly the most fun aspects of nbt that I would like see transferred to fw.

#92 NUMBERZero1032

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 148 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

I just wanna touch back on Vitric Forge briefly, the generator positions are left horribly exposed to attackers. A lot of mechs can easily just jump up there and remain unchallenged as they snipe away the generators. As a bandaid fix, you can rotate one or two of those away from the wall.
Some photos:
https://pbs.twimg.co...XvuQ?format=jpg
https://pbs.twimg.co...IeYa?format=jpg
https://pbs.twimg.co...Z4_E?format=jpg

#93 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:22 PM

I wouldn't mind a second lobby for new players, a pre-qual to reach main lobby
something like 100-150 matches completed before access to main. this would be something like the training grounds into Faction Warfare.
Smaller drop deck for the starter lobby.
the limit to max is there so those that just want to farm easy mode(aka Seal clubbing) , cannot for very long, and the minimum is there before you can go to main lobby.
I think this would be a better entry level experience, then coming straight from Quick play experience

The ability to see how many groups are waiting, like it was 2 years ago, I am sure if it was seen there are three 7 man groups, some would be willing to break group up to secure a match quicker.
save some time of ts/discord hopping trying to form a group. when you can see how many are waiting already in game

LFG, separate those in LFG for Faction from Quick, having to rejoin LFG, because you were invited into quick play group, just takes up time, still would be nice that if I'm in LFG for faction, I only get invite to a faction forming group

#94 Rustyhammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:22 PM

And the unpaid mech is removed from the player's inventory. Call it enforceable selling with funds returned to the unit's coffer.
Selling this 'loaned' mechs and/or associated equipment by player will also return funds back to unit coffer, so players won't profit from doing that.

#95 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

@ xX PUG Xx

Thanks for looking. The idea of making actions count more than just simple win loss is that it addresses some of the issues with the game. I also really like the idea of a Pyrric victory changing how people play the game. But mostly it is about giving the player a sense of achievement even in the face of certain doom.

One complaint that teams have always had is that they can't win faster than the pugs lose. If you are stomping through the Opfor then your actions are going to contribute a lot more than just a simple win does. You might actually be able to outscore those other 2 pug teams that keep losing.

Conversely if your only strategy is to get in and sacrifice 47 mechs to get the orbital gun then you might actually give the defenders more points than you make for simply winning.

In these and other cases I would hope it would prompt thinking about other strategies.

@Paul

Re: This post

I don't think the resources required are that great.

-The LP system exists, only need to tally the totals from both teams per match to create Capture Points (CP).
-Planetary UI can be basically the same, replace the ToW with 2 simple bars which change as CP is accrued. Needs to update every time a match is played
-planet selection algorithm exists from previous iterations of FP, or use existing vote system
-CP based on planet population. Pop already exists just need to factor by an amount to arrive at a reasonable number ie pop/100
-adjust Galactic Map to alter borders every time a planet changes hands
-remove Ceasefire periods.

Also the starting map needs to be upgraded to 3060+ to give the clans more presence in the IS.
ie Posted Image

#96 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:03 PM

fair, then how about the coffers have the ability to get FP only skins/mech/paints unlocked for said unit. so as a person apart of that unit has the ability to get a mech/skin/paint that you cant get if you just QP.

#97 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPacific Standard Timezone

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Why not just trust that people who own coffers will distribute the funds knowing the risks and players that run off and use the funds for other things just get blackballed? We already use the trust system for MC, why not C-bills?

#98 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

1- MAPs that are designed with tug of war in mind. A tug of war system that is played live in the level. An advancing front line.
At the start each team can have 3-4 bases with the most forward one being open to the enemy to attack and capture. Resapwns can shift back and forth depending on which base is the "forward" one at the given moment. A team wins if they capture all enemy bases or kill all. Bases can become available based on a cool off system and have enough distance between them to prevent the enemy to just power through enemy bases in one go.

2- Faction/Unit- wide mechbays. Imagine if loyalists or mercs could lend (ONLY IF THEY OWN THE MECH) or borrow pre-built mechs off a mechbay system that is specific to that faction. Often times, one of the main things that puts off relatively new player is their limited number of mechs which are not built for max performance. To solve this, a more seasoned faction player can lend one of his/her mechs to that mechbay/drop deck for like a week and lose access to it for that time, instead other players in that faction/unit can borrow the chassis (one at a time) and play a match with it at the cost of reduced pay (say, like 75%).
To spice things up for loyalists, you can add some incentives to those mechbays like increased pay outs, or ... an extra and universal consumable slot.

3- Pursuing the technical possibility to allow players to join, or leave a current ongoing FP game while win conditions (bases, kills or time) haven't been met yet.

Edited by Navid A1, 02 August 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#99 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

Also, please add Comstar faction.

#100 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 02 August 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

2- Faction/Unit- wide mechbays. Imagine if loyalists or mercs could lend (ONLY IF THEY OWN THE MECH) or borrow pre-built mechs off a mechbay system that is specific to that faction. Often times, one of the main things that puts off relatively new player is their limited number of mechs which are not built for max performance. To solve this, a more seasoned faction player can lend one of his/her mechs to that mechbay/drop deck for like a week and lose access to it for that time, instead other players in that faction/unit can borrow the chassis (one at a time) and play a match with it at the cost of reduced pay (say, like 75%).
To spice things up for loyalists, you can add some incentives to those mechbays like increased pay outs, or ... an extra and universal consumable slot.

I was reading into this, and the thought, Unit owned Dropships, this could be a place mechs can be stored for others to use, they cannot sell the mechs once in the drop ship. the mechs can be already built to the desired loadout, but unskilled like a trial (this would be the downfall to using a unit mech), maybe but there is still the possible of the loanee can place mech skills, in the loan Mech , {the skill thing I cannot think of a solution how to make it work}
a mech already in use cannot be used by another unit member at the same time
Basically a unit mechbay.
who can add and remove , and change loadouts, needs to be decided

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users