Why Is Gxp Still In This Game?

19 replies to this topic

#1 AedanCousland

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:23 AM

This isn't a moan, this is a genuine question from a relatively new player.

I read it was a throwback to the old skill system (before my time). Now it's largely useless. I know you can spend it to boost the number of skill points but at 45,000 CB a pop it gets damn expensive, and even where I an in-game billionaire, I simply have more GXP than I could ever possibly need.

The thing that annoys me is I'm getting a crap load of this from Faction Play as a Loyalist rather than getting something useful like MC as I did being non-aligned. Wouldn't it be better if it was removed and replaced with something useful? Or have I completely missed the point of it?

#2 Lyons De Flamand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

I can imagine that it helps newer accounts in FP to improve their stable.

#3 AedanCousland

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

I'm not sure what you mean but let me give you an example. I just raised a reputation rank in FP and was awarded a fantastic 1000 GXP. WTF am I supposed to spend 1000 GXP on?

#4 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

View PostAedanCousland, on 20 August 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

WTF am I supposed to spend 1000 GXP on?

One skill point.

#5 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

GXP costs 45,000 cbills to convert to a SP, same as regular XP.

The value of GXP is that you can use it to skill up a mech without having to use it in battle. If you have a highly specialized build (like an ER Laser Sniper) taking it to quick play isn't a good option. Using GXP can get it ready to use in FP real fast, without having to worry about how to best skill it.

Or, if you're playing in comp games, if you need to play a mech in a match coming up you don't own, you can buy it and skill it immediately without having to spend hours skilling it out.

#6 AedanCousland

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 August 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

GXP costs 45,000 cbills to convert to a SP, same as regular XP.

The value of GXP is that you can use it to skill up a mech without having to use it in battle. If you have a highly specialized build (like an ER Laser Sniper) taking it to quick play isn't a good option. Using GXP can get it ready to use in FP real fast, without having to worry about how to best skill it.

Or, if you're playing in comp games, if you need to play a mech in a match coming up you don't own, you can buy it and skill it immediately without having to spend hours skilling it out.

Fair point but I only need 91 to max level a mech. 1000 is 11 Mechs. Like I said, what am I supposed to spend 1000 GXP on? Seems overkill to me. Thanks for the answer though.

#7 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostAedanCousland, on 20 August 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Fair point but I only need 91 to max level a mech. 1000 is 11 Mechs. Like I said, what am I supposed to spend 1000 GXP on? Seems overkill to me. Thanks for the answer though.

Well, you need 45,000 c-bills AND 800 GXP to convert into a *single* skill point. So, your 1000 GXP is barely more than 1 skill point for a mech. If you wanna fully skill a mech out to 91, you need 72,800 GXP. I recently got 1.5 million GXP from the Solaris 7 end of season rewards... I burned through 2/3 of that already just skilling out mechs that I don't play often, but like to use in specific FP situations (like my stealth dual gauss thanatos).

So yea, unless you have very few mechs (like less than 20), or already have all of them skilled up, GXP is an extremely valuable resource that's pretty hard to come by, giving how much you need to skill a mech. I can do a solid 8 hours of faction play, earn 10 million c-bills, and only get like 20,000 GXP.

#8 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

OP, are you confusing GXP and GSP?

#9 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

so you can buy mc...

#10 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:54 PM

Within a couple of months of playing, I managed to have a bank of something like 30k GXP. It's basically just XP that you can use on any mech, so better than regular XP that's limited to a single mech. So you can just blow it all on rapid leveling a mech, or you can (as I did) just use it to grab those important skill nodes when you're one or two short after a match, which makes skilling up the mech feel a lot nicer. For some mechs there might just be something you want immediately - like the ECM nodes on a ECM mech, and you just want to get them before it hits the field for the first time.

Either way, Gxp is always useful, if not worth buying unless you're extremely rich.

Edited by Maddermax, 20 August 2018 - 10:01 PM.

#11 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
New Player Help.[/mod]

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostAedanCousland, on 20 August 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

This isn't a moan, this is a genuine question from a relatively new player.
GXP are extremely useful, and you can earn quite a stockpile from participating in Solaris (take note of last season's end-of-season rewards).

I read it was a throwback to the old skill system (before my time). Now it's largely useless.
Anything but a throwback, anything but useless. You can buy a fresh mech and immediately unlock some of its' most crucial functionality with it (ECM anyone?) or if you're filthy rich in GXP and C-Bills just skill the thing outright and have it immediately ready to drop in FP at full performance.

I know you can spend it to boost the number of skill points but at 45,000 CB a pop it gets damn expensive,
You pay 45k no matter if you're using GXP or mech XP.
It's not very expensive - fully skilling a mech costs you 4.1 million C-Bills and you can get that fairly quickly if you're a decent player.

You're confusing XP and skill points. To get 91 skill points - enough to skill just one mech - you need to spend 72800 XP or GXP.

and even where I an in-game billionaire, I simply have more GXP than I could ever possibly need.
Take it from someone who thought the same... I scored enough Solaris rewards to get my GXP to 1.5 million total, and already burned through half of that.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

This is why, in the long run, XP bonuses are not important. There is an upper limit to how much you can spend. Cbills are almost certainly going to be the limiting factor, at least that's my experience for the last several years. Originally with the skill tree, you would have to spend xp to re-equip nodes after changing them, but that was removed.

#14 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

As the others have said.
GXP has always been there and you earn it along side the Mech XP you get when playing.
While the Mech XP is accumulated just for the mech you are piloting, the General XP can be used anywhere.

Historic XP (HXP) is the stuff from the conversion to the skill tree.

And no, you will not get MC instead of XP. It is more likely that it was an event that was going on where you were awarded the MC for completing the reward. ie. get 8 KMDDs or something.

#15 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:03 AM

You can pay MC to convert MXP to GXP but I see no reason to generally.

#16 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

because just having 2 types of currencies (cbills and MC) wasnt enough

we needed 6 different types to confuse the hell out of new players and make them quit

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

Every day take your best mechs and play till you win a game to get the First Win Of The Day bonus, then swap to your next best mech and so on.

You get double XP right? Well it doubles your GXP as well

If you play limited games daily its a good way to double your GXP generation with a little thought.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 28 August 2018 - 04:52 PM.

#18 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

Well given I made 1.750 Mil GXP from Solaris last season...

GXP is king. It is literally the best currency in the game right now. It allows you to add skill points to any mechs at any time.

Right now I buy a new mech, I instantly skill it to 91 points with GXP. OK it costs me a few cbills but it was going to cost me bills anyway if I wanted to grind it out over 80-100 matches.

I save that grind. Hence as I said, GXP is the most valueable in the game.

#19 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:33 AM

Unless i missed the answer..

It is used to speed level new mechs. Earn lots of GXP, Instantly level a new mech.. *(you need to spend cbills like normal conversions)

But for those that don't feel like grinding a new mech can use it. It is also a great way to add 10 points to your mechs to start out using consumables from the start, Or you can grab mobility on slower mechs, or getting operations on hot ones.

It's very useful for anyone that doesn't have gobs of GSP or used all theirs like me. Pretty simple to me.

Very useful to play one of your Champions during a double XP event with premium running.. you can earn enough sometimes to to level an entire mech in just a single event. Hardly useless.

#20 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:39 AM

I find it interesting that AedanCousland asks a lot of the same questions that I used to.

GXP has turned into...nothing.

Thanks for the Solaris tips, although with my win-lost record I think I will owe them GXP. But for every winner, there has to be a loser so I'm doing my part to help others.

Edited by LikeUntoBuddha, 30 August 2018 - 04:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users