#1 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:56 AM

I am bored so I'll post these 2 ideas.

I've not played in ages but listened to the podcast on the PTS. Really again messing with numbers on the weapons is not really doing anything. Oh and 90 odd damage is crazy.

Firstly an oldie but a goody. Why not give each mech a fixed heat cap and have heat sinks deal with dissipation only. Then have a sliding scale of penalties as you climb the heat scale.

In effect a soft damage cap and then an absolute cap.

You could have different caps for different mechs to make each variant more individual.

As for LRMs.

Not sure if there is a solution but how about:

They have a fix travel time, i.e. 6 seconds, no matter the distance.

The further away the flatter the trajectory. Close too they go up after being launched and come straight down on target.

So they'd be direct fire at max range but indirect fire in closer combat.

I am looking forward to MW5 but MWO is really just poking with instant pinpoint damage in a system that is designed for random cone of fire damage.

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 20 August 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

The further away the flatter the trajectory. Close too they go up after being launched and come straight down on target.

Hmm... I really like this idea actually. Would be a major nerf to LRM's at very long ranges, because more things would provide cover. It would be a fairly major buff to close range as well, because if you're at like 200 meters you would basically ignore cover, but you'd have to get in very close to do it.

#3 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

Fix travel time is bs. This was u das ok lrm boat hang back. Now u have an advantage if u use them aggressive. I know most pugs dont know how to be aggro at all.

#4 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:06 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 20 August 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

I am bored so I'll post these 2 ideas.

I've not played in ages but listened to the podcast on the PTS. Really again messing with numbers on the weapons is not really doing anything. Oh and 90 odd damage is crazy.

Firstly an oldie but a goody. Why not give each mech a fixed heat cap and have heat sinks deal with dissipation only. Then have a sliding scale of penalties as you climb the heat scale.

In effect a soft damage cap and then an absolute cap.

You could have different caps for different mechs to make each variant more individual.

As for LRMs.

Not sure if there is a solution but how about:

I am looking forward to MW5 but MWO is really just poking with instant pinpoint damage in a system that is designed for random cone of fire damage.

I would not agree with any of this. If you're 200 meters away from target, 6 seconds is an eternity of travel time.

Also, LRMs being direct fire at any distance is stupid.

#5 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:20 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 21 August 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

I would not agree with any of this. If you're 200 meters away from target, 6 seconds is an eternity of travel time.

Also, LRMs being direct fire at any distance is stupid.

The shooter should be allowed to control their own trajectory. There are times when a straight-line shot makes sense, since it would minimize travel time toward a target that has no nearby cover it can get to.

Remember, even if an arcing shot would still hit before a target gets to cover, you still would prefer to hit the enemy face-on, rather than giving him a bit of extra time to torso-twist to tank the salvo on his arm/shoulder.

#6 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:11 AM

View PostYueFei, on 21 August 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

The shooter should be allowed to control their own trajectory. There are times when a straight-line shot makes sense, since it would minimize travel time toward a target that has no nearby cover it can get to.

Remember, even if an arcing shot would still hit before a target gets to cover, you still would prefer to hit the enemy face-on, rather than giving him a bit of extra time to torso-twist to tank the salvo on his arm/shoulder.

We used to be able to control the trajectory.. It was caller LRM bending, and let you shoot from literally around a corner.. but then PGI killed it when they nerfed the lock-on arc from 45% to 20%..

#7 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:24 AM

I think that there is one fundamental issue with MWO when it comes to achieving mixed load outs and making the various weapons interesting and tactical.

That is that a lot of time the long range big lasers are functionally the same at short range as they are at long range. There is therefore no reason to take shorter range lasers if you have spare tonnage and crit spaces.

I would say that longer range lasers should be doing less damage at short range i.e. a damage drop off.

The idea regarding the LRMs is almost basically this. there is a delay in the damage that the LRMs cause making them very effective mid range because they have height and not a too long travel time. they are less effective at long range as they are easier to dodge and at short range they are difficult to use effectively. (by mid range I mean longer than MRM).

6 secs is an arbitrary figure i picked on.

A weapon system should have different effectiveness over different ranges

#8 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:29 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 22 August 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

We used to be able to control the trajectory.. It was caller LRM bending, and let you shoot from literally around a corner.. but then PGI killed it when they nerfed the lock-on arc from 45% to 20%..

Not really. You could NEVER "bend" LRM's around terrain very effectively. Show me a single video of this technique "bending" LRM's around corners and I'll admit I'm wrong. The lock-on arc is still fairly large, just hold your cursor over the enemy mech (same as you'd have to do for lasers) and it locks. I used some LRM's last night, its not so bad.

#9 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

Actually you could and can still bend them.
Despite PGI ditzy nerfs.
And I'm not sharing the secret.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users