#21 tacorodwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWexford, Ireland

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:15 AM

Good Lord Grus, Do you actually think about what you type or do you have some speech to text program running? I mean you are in here crying about a build that the game developers do not want anyone to be able to use. 109 alpha and not being able to fire it all in one go, and it is too much face time to fire in 3 groups? too much face time to the innersphere mechs that are undergoing the same exact problem as the clan? If you can fire less weapons on the clan side you will fire less weapons on the IS side. They will have to face time you for longer now as well (and will they have 109 damage done?). Here is an idea, Try a new build on the mech like what other people have suggested. This game is being developed for a lot of people to play not just you.

Now if you excuse me I am going to go stand on the road and complain that the new motorway being built near me should be re built closer to my driveway so i do not have as far to drive.

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

View PostGrus, on 30 August 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

Huh? 2 fire groups needed for that build... i really dont get what you're gling for here.

Two? Probably more like three.

And, as a reminder, this PTS was to see what mechanics can prevent power played high alpha damage. So, a build with an alpha damage of "109" should be more difficult to play. That build is going to require more range bracketing rather than alpha power. The build's diversity of weapon ranges helps permit more options when approaching an opponent.

More hard points doesn't mean you have to fill them all with weapons. And, not all weapons need to be designed to be fired together. More hardpoints should be more options. Say, you take two ERPPCs, with the extra hard points you could fill in your weaker close range bracket with some M(P)L or S(P)L, shooting with the more appropriate weapon group at the more appropriate range for that weapon.

Many of my build concepts work with this, such as my LRM Huntsmen, which carries two LRM15s for mid to long(ish) range, and four ERMLs for close range protection (and adding into the mid range damage brackets).

#23 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:09 PM

View PostTesunie, on 30 August 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Two? Probably more like three.

And, as a reminder, this PTS was to see what mechanics can prevent power played high alpha damage. So, a build with an alpha damage of "109" should be more difficult to play. That build is going to require more range bracketing rather than alpha power. The build's diversity of weapon ranges helps permit more options when approaching an opponent.

More hard points doesn't mean you have to fill them all with weapons. And, not all weapons need to be designed to be fired together. More hardpoints should be more options. Say, you take two ERPPCs, with the extra hard points you could fill in your weaker close range bracket with some M(P)L or S(P)L, shooting with the more appropriate weapon group at the more appropriate range for that weapon.

Many of my build concepts work with this, such as my LRM Huntsmen, which carries two LRM15s for mid to long(ish) range, and four ERMLs for close range protection (and adding into the mid range damage brackets).

Two groups, mpl and HLL on one the LPL and mgs on the other.

#24 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

View PostGrus, on 30 August 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

From a GH standpoint that makes sense but the ranges of the MG and LPL do not match up well. Seems like you would waste a lot of MG ammo on out of range shots. I would use 3 and pair the MGs with the MPL the HLL on 2 and the LPL on 3. You are never going to fire the 2HLL and 2LPL together anyway.

#25 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostGrus, on 30 August 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

If that works for you. I personally would do three weapon groups for better range and duration brackets. MPL and HLL have rather different ranges and beam duration differences (not that beam duration is all that big of a deal for weapon groups). Then the MGs probably would be best served on their own due to their wanting to shoot non-stop on a target, which heat producing weapons can sabotage that effort. Otherwise, I'd mix them with the MPLs for similar ranges.

Then, I'd remind that we are trying to reduce high alpha builds. Your build can be described as a high alpha build, so it's one of the power house builds we are trying to reduce their effectiveness of. I suspect that your build could still work with the PTS, you just have to range bracket your weapons a lot more. Shooting the MPLs and the HLLs is likely too much heat, so save the HLL to alternate with the LPL for mid-ranged engagements. Then use MPLs and LMGs for targets that have gotten into closer ranges.

Still think that build is better served with three, if not even four, different weapon groups to maximize it's effectiveness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users