8 replies to this topic

#1 Rydiak Randborir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Kapten
  • Kapten
  • 103 posts
  • LocationJarnfolk Cluster

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

I enjoyed my time more on PTS 2.0 than I have playing MWO for a long time. Not only do I think that having a fixed heatcap would fix a lot of the issues plaguing MWO, but the gameplay reminded me a lot of the old Mechwarrior 4 days. It was fresh, it was refreshing, and it was fun. Ever since the Energy Draw tests, having a fixed heatcap was something I wanted to try in this game and it seemed great.

However, with a fixed heatcap I'd like to see Ghost Heat finally killed. This could be done along-side heat tweaks to weapons that would most abuse it, though it is hard to boat small lasers with a million heatsinks when you gain no heatcap benefit from the heatsinks. On PTS 2.0 some big Assaults with lots of energy hardpoints (and only energy hardpoints) seemed rather gimped when unable to use all their weapons together (up to the heatcap, of course) compared to a mech that had the option of a ballistic weapon or missile weapon.

I would also like to see PTS 2.0 tested on a larger scale, though I am sure that relies on a bigger pool of testers.

Either way, great test and great job. Mobility was a step in the right direction, with only a few nitpicks for 'Mechs that still need help (Metachanic has a great post on OutreachHPG about it), but overall "Well done!"

#2 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

The Assaults with loads of energy hard points become(in theory) more well rounded by having enough hard points to bring both long range high damage weapons, as well as a multitude of lower heat faster cycling smaller lasers to allow for up close fighting.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

id love to see ghost heat go away entirely. even if you have to drop the heat cap all the way down to 30.

at the very least refactor gh groups and loosen the penalties on lower damage clan lasers.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 August 2018 - 08:00 AM.

#4 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

Wish I'd been in town to try out the PTS, I've wanted to see how low heat cap, higher dissipation would work out ever since I saw it mentioned on the forums way back.

Seems like most peoplke who've commented are generally favorable. despite there being some well thought-out critiques.

At this point, it looks like the best thing to do is to tweak some values slightly and get another week of PTS with bigger groups going.

#5 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

Yep, I, too, remember us suggesting a system just like this 2.0 during the ED PTS as a solution for boating and alpha at the same time.

But I watched Kanajashi’s recent video,

and he opposes that this would bring back Gauss+PPC poptaring, which admittedly was even more annoying than any Gaussvomit meta. One has to consider that he is an Energy Draw fan, and that to my understanding ED wouldn’t prevent Gauss+PPC either unless set really low.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

I would rather not see the return of gauss ppc combos. So I would rather keep GH. Perhaps they could just reduce the penalties on certain things.

#7 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 22 August 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

I would rather not see the return of gauss ppc combos. So I would rather keep GH. Perhaps they could just reduce the penalties on certain things.

Most of the people who were discussing eliminating Ghost Heat were for eliminating GH on some weapons. As Kanjashi pointed out, erML could lose the GH restrictions as could most other medium and small lasers. It would not be wise to remove all GH. The Gauss/PPC is a prime example but I would add to it that you would need to be cautious with other high output weapons such as the erLL, LPL, HLL and HML as well any of these might be combined with Gauss to abuse the heat cap without GH.

IMO, PTS 2.0 did exactly what many of us hoped it would, limiting repeatable high Alphas while still allowing good DPS and occasional respectably strong Alphas. It also reintroduces heat as a limiting factor in the game which has always been a core component in all MechWarrior and BattleTech games that must be managed skillfully both in the MechLab and on the battlefield.

#8 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

View PostKuaron, on 22 August 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yep, I, too, remember us suggesting a system just like this 2.0 during the ED PTS as a solution for boating and alpha at the same time.

But I watched Kanajashi’s recent video,

and he opposes that this would bring back Gauss+PPC poptaring, which admittedly was even more annoying than any Gaussvomit meta. One has to consider that he is an Energy Draw fan, and that to my understanding ED wouldn’t prevent Gauss+PPC either unless set really low.

I would like to point out that the Energy Draw PTS basically did the same to PPC/Gauss than GH is doing now.
Gauss hat a Draw of 15 (or even higher on later PTS versions) and with a "cap" of 30 energy with 20 per second replenishing, a shot with 2 PPCs +1 Gauss basically used up about 40 energy and that generated about 10-12 heat extra (about 1.2 points / energy for PPFLD weapons).

That said, considering the current PTS2.0 cap of 40 heat, the weapon that really benefits from removal of GH would be the big ones that would no longer go over 40 heat without GH and the very small ones that could then be massed with 9+ boating.

I think it's good that there is still SOME kind of reason to not boat every single weapon (being it 10 MPL or 14 ERSL or whatever weapon).
Damn, it's not that much to split your weapons by 0.5 sec if you are only using small weapons such as MPL or Smalls with the short duration.
e.g.
Gauss + PPC combos, as you could use 3x PPC + 2x Gauss for 32 heat,
or even go as high as 4 PPC + 2 Gauss with some skills/quirks (2x cERPPC + 2x cGauss with high cooling for good RoF)
or 3x AC20 for 21 heat
or 4x AC20 (if you could mount it) for 28 heat.
or 5x LL for 40 heat (barely with skills/quirks)
or 4x ERLL for about 36 heat (IS) or about 40 heat (Clan)
or 8/9x MPL for about 40 heat
the comments about ERML seem to be wrong, as you can now already use 6x cERML for 38 heat and any removal of GH would not help with a 40 cap.

#9 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 22 August 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

the comments about ERML seem to be wrong, as you can now already use 6x cERML for 38 heat and any removal of GH would not help with a 40 cap.

You have to remember that you are only limited to 40 heat cap on a totally unskilled Mech. For example, I was able to Alpha with weapons adding up to 50.4 (normal listed) heat without a shutdown on a fully skilled Clan Mech. So we have to be careful what we ask for.

Edited by Rampage, 22 August 2018 - 01:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users