Raven 4X Backstabber

10 replies to this topic

#1 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

Took a break for a few years and now we have all these great new weapons so I started playing around and I came up with this 4X build that I thought was going to be derpy but is actually pretty good for flanking around and opening backsides.

RVN-4X

Of course smurfy has the armor all wrong
should be
Head 9
right and left torsi 30f 8r
center 36f 12r
left arm 26
right arm 25
legs 36
I'll probably play with the armor as I get field data on where it's needed.

I know the argument is that the RAC5 is crap well for a brawl it is but for hitting a fatty in the back from 500m and running away its pretty damn good. Paired with the 2x erml you get a good return in components destroyed and the ranges compliment each other nicely.

If you do get forced to fight up close hide behind a fatty and let the enemy think he grew a rac5 out of his hip.

Now I hate it must be said but before any tryhards or "you're doing it wrong" folks chime in, save your time because I simply don't care, I play QP for fun and this is fun.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 23 August 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

Basically same build on my urban mech, except he don't go fast! ;) I've done quite well with it though, maybe I should get the raven 4x just so I can have speed behind it! Or,...guess my firestarter can do it too..........

#3 ArdentLemon

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

Hmm. I like my Ravens, and this is not a typical sniper memebird. My favourite part about this build is that it still runs at a very respectable 115 kph (not counting any skill nodes you might be running), despite running a RAC5. It's not quite what I'd take, but I might try something like this when I have the extra bills to spare.

One thing: XL255 weighs the same as XL250. I know the speed difference is trivial, just mentioning it. Maybe it's one of those cases where it was lying around (which is exactly why my own 4X happens to have a XL255).

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 23 August 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Took a break for a few years and now we have all these great new weapons so I started playing around and I came up with this 4X build that I thought was going to be derpy but is actually pretty good for flanking around and opening backsides.

RVN-4X

I'd like to make a couple of comments on this:
- A back stabber normally requires front loaded damage rather than damage over time weapons. An example would be an AC10, massed SL, etc. These weapons deal a lot of damage in a single location quickly. This lets you hit hard in a single location, and then run if needed. The RAC doesn't typically fall into this role, as it requires a good period of time before dealing enough damage. This also means that pilots can react to this, and twist to distribute damage around their mech more. (Yes, I do know. Tonnage constraints here.)

- The ammo should probably be placed into the same arm as the weapon. Raven arms are small, and people tend to aim for their legs. By placing ammo in your legs, you could have an ammo explosion happen, and cripple your mech sooner (presuming you survived). Better to lose the arm and weapon and keep going, than a leg and then lack the speed to keep going. My opinion of course.

- It does have good DPS and good heat management from what I can see, so those are good bonuses in it's favor.

- Have you considered an MRM30 on it? MRMs may spread a little, but they can deal good damage overall. Not as controllable as the RAC5 you've got, but it does deal more burst style damage, compared to damage of time.

Overall, not a bad build. Of course most of MW:O builds fall down to preference and what "works for you". So though I've placed some counterpoints to your build, don't think I'm saying you can't use it. If it works for you, by all means use it.

Currently, my favorite Raven is the 2X, set up with two LLs and twin ERMLs. Good mid line poking mech for me.

#5 Snapt Gleipnir

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

I like it.

Here's a thought, for burst -- RVN-4X , and you can still harass with range w/ the lb5 if ur feelin squirrely.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:12 PM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 23 August 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

RVN-4X

Of course smurfy has the armor all wrong
should be
Head 9
right and left torsi 30f 8r
center 36f 12r
left arm 26
right arm 25
legs 36

If you're backstabbing... There is very little need for 12 rear armour... I mean if you're getting back-stabbed as the back-stabber, you've got problems.

ESP with RAC5 and needing accessive face time at 400m... Not really stabbing backs there, 90% mechs on the field are going to instantly delete you.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 04 September 2019 - 08:14 PM.

#7 Snapt Gleipnir

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:49 AM

I find ravens incredibly susceptible to rear ct shots, even in skirmishes and especially if they have to flee. Back armor is fine IMO.

Edited by ConstableQib, 08 September 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#8 ArdentLemon

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

I build my Ravens with at least some back armor. More often than not you're having to make a choice between letting front or back get hit, and I'd rather have something than nothing for protecting my back. They aren't Fleas, so to speak.

#9 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the replies, to address a few points

I have adjusted the armor around but its still got some decent back armor for fleeing as that is this mechs weakest point,

I have an UAC10 Cicada and a MRM10 x2 LMG 4x Osiris so those niches are filled.

I look for guys getting shot from the front because very often they do not notice they are getting shot from the rear. If they turn around I ghost. Them turning around isn't a bad thing either because that means they have their back to my team. Harassment really is what Im going for here.

#10 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:16 AM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 16 October 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies, to address a few points

I have adjusted the armor around but its still got some decent back armor for fleeing as that is this mechs weakest point,

I have an UAC10 Cicada and a MRM10 x2 LMG 4x Osiris so those niches are filled.

I look for guys getting shot from the front because very often they do not notice they are getting shot from the rear. If they turn around I ghost. Them turning around isn't a bad thing either because that means they have their back to my team. Harassment really is what Im going for here.

If you're going to 4X, do it right: RVN-4X - Squirrel-Jam

As for the Cicada, why not UAC/LBX20?

Edited by VonBruinwald, 17 October 2019 - 02:17 AM.

#11 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 17 October 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

If you're going to 4X, do it right: RVN-4X - Squirrel-Jam

As for the Cicada, why not UAC/LBX20?

I do like that 4X build. Might give it a try but with the situation in pugs these day with clan lrms I've mostly been running ECM mechs.
The Cicada, I have the 3M not the other ballistic variant so cant get a 20 in without either standard engine or ditching the ECM. If you have the 3M try this out, its a solid harasser. AT0920]0|EdpW0|F@qW0|^<2|N@rA0sA0tW0|8PuW0|7Pv@0|7Pw705050

Edited by Johny Rocket, 22 October 2019 - 03:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users