1 reply to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:24 AM

From a purely subjective, non-mathematical based, I just plays what I play, and I almost always end up brawling in whatever I play perspective the PTS feels:

Pretty OK. I guess. I think my IS vomit mechs felt far more like clan mechs in that I was riding the cap way more than normal, and so I had to really try not to fall into my bad brawling habits and when I did, I couldn't really do much. But whatever. This just feels like another aspect of the vanilification of the game that is apparently being striven for, and of all the proposed changes of late this is the least offensive to my sense of how the game should feel.

Played all high heat, but not necessarily high alpha builds. From a MK-II with a modified gaussvomit of 2 Gauss, 3ERML and 1HLL to my Quickdraw 5K with 4ERLL, and everything in between including Hellbringer, Ebon, Grasshopper laser vomit. They all still seemed hot, they all still seemed to perform pretty much as in the live server, at least in the sense of I could alpha every thing that ought to be able to be alphaed on the liver server, but once into combat I had to make sure I didn't (except in dire emergency or perfect opportunity). As I indicated above all my IS mech felt like clan mechs in that I really ought to spend more time lining up good trades rather than my normal mid range brawl that I normally do. Spent a lot of time peaking and poking to get and keep the heat under control much as I do in clan mechs.

Movement wise, pretty much as usual, though the increased agility was noticeable in a few. But nothing really stood out.

I can live with these changes if they went live. If they do go live, and this is a viewed as a stepping stone to remove IS quirks, in the manner suggested by Paul and Chris in the last balance pod cast, despite IS mechs still performing worse (in terms of damage fired, heat dissipated, shorter range, etc.) I think that would be a big mistake. Mechs like the Phract and BJ (and many others) still look to be less than agile bricks and if anything they will need more defensive help in this new environment.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

Gotta admit though didn't think much of these changes in regard to their impact to the traditional gauss vomit and laser vomit builds, I have been playing around a bit with some old builds and have to admit that these changes make some fun stuff much more viable than in the live server.

For example: the old 3ERPPC T-Bolt S is quite manageable even on a map like Tourmaline. Just for kicks I built a 9ERML and 8MPL Black Knights (350LFE all the rest heat sinks) and they were a lot of fun. Even a BJ with 8ERML seemed relatively cool.

Regular PPCs and snubs are still awful. I tried a 3 snub Quickdraw and it was playable but not noticeably any different than on the live, which is to say terrible compared to any other energy weapon or combo you would reasonably put on a Quickie.

Edited by Bud Crue, 25 August 2018 - 07:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users