Shrinking Playerbase - Should Players Only Be Mercenaries?

27 replies to this topic

#1 F Wulf

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:44 AM

MWO still offers its players to be loyalists - propably out of historical reasons.
I've been one since I play this game. Recently with the FP events PGI does it sucks more and more to be a factionalist. It not only got harder to find FP matches, but also QP group games because of the low population especially at certain times. Also rewards seem to be very different for the different factions involved.

Would't it make more sense if PGI got rid of playable factions all together? So everyone only plays as mercs, changing sides between IS and Clan only, with the factions only there for story purposes?

That would put players into only 2 bins, without leaving anyone out. You could still side with Clan or IS and you could in theory participate in faction play and the events all the time.

I believe this would lower the frustration waiting for games or being locked out of events. Also one could allow both sides to use IS and Clan mechs as everyone is merc anyways , just doing service for a certain side.
This would get rid of any unfair advantage and balancing IS vs Clan complaints.

Please discuss.

Edited by F Wulf, 31 August 2018 - 05:47 AM.

#2 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

Although I agree that it just makes more sense to be merc now, unless you're farming loyalist rewards. I think a lot of the roleplay loyalists would throw a fit and quit the game if you forced them to be merc

#3 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:06 AM

Every time i think about coming back to play this game, i look at the forums, see somebody moaning about x weapon and i think... wow this actually sounds kinda fun. Im just on the point of downloading the game again and then somebody will mention the skill tree, that i had forgotten even existed and i remember why i dont play this any more.

#4 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 31 August 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

Im just on the point of downloading the game again and then somebody will mention the skill tree, that i had forgotten even existed and i remember why i dont play this any more.

They added an import/export function for mech builds and the skill tree a little bit ago. It makes building and skilling up mechs much easier.

As to the original topic, I agree with Hazenclaw, I think people would get upset if they got rid of the Loyalist option. I believe the last FP Podcast mentioned giving loyalists more perks btw.

#5 F Wulf

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Well actually I believe a lot of factionalists are already upset, because they have a hard time finding games which makes it hard to maintain their units. At least that is what I experience.

#6 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

while it makes sense, it would certainly p*ss off A LOT of loyalists (those left^^), further shrinking the playerbase in turn.

imho they should start thinking about how to revitalise the fw mode and making loyalist-status actually beneficial - instead of "punishing" them (compared to mercs) every single event and so on.

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 31 August 2018 - 07:22 AM.

#7 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

Loyalty should never be punished. Making being a loyalist worthless def drained some of the population and interest in faction play.

#8 DRlFTER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

It wouldn't be so bad if PGI would just communicate their intentions, and how long this faction specific event cycle is going to last. This could be the last one for a year for all we know. Or there can be another one next week. Our loyalist unit regularly played faction twice a week prior to the events, and had 4 tags on the map last week. Guys are very frustrated. Our officers haven't even met to discuss this yet, and I wouldn't know what to recommend if we did, because we don't know how long this is going to continue for. Not a good look.

#9 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

For whatever reason i take pride in the days loyal metric ... switching for an event will reset that metric.

#10 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:11 PM

They should just let everyone participate in 'special' events. As if we're actually fighting for Kurita, on a Kuritan planet. As if it's not the same maps and modes.

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

makes sense to just get rid of loyalists. PGI will never do them justice.

and instead make everyone a merc with the option of being loyal to a faction

you could still gain reputation/loyalty points with a faction by doing repeated jobs for that faction

but youd also be able to openly work for any other faction without any hassle

also were at the point in the timeline where its not uncommon for mercs have access to clantech. nor is it uncommon to see mixed companies of IS/Clan mechs on the battlefield. So PGI should just allow mixed dropdecks and mixed IS/clan teams (but mixed tech wouldnt be allowed). That would help fix the imbalance issues that plague CW.

Edited by Khobai, 02 September 2018 - 04:24 PM.

#12 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

Well it might make sense now, mostly because P.G.I failed badly in their creation of F.W.

Over two years late the rewards for being a loyalist arrived, unit Dekkel's etc which P.G.I then sold rather than them, being the rewards for long service, as first projected as part of the F.W power point.

They then

Rather than to make it harder for merc and give Loyalists better rewards, they made it pointless by doing the exact opposite

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

I think its time to remove all the mercs Posted Image

Loyalist or freelancer.

Over all being locked out for events is just bad programming.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 02 September 2018 - 05:05 PM.

#14 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 02 September 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

Well it might make sense now, mostly because P.G.I failed badly in their creation of F.W.

Over two years late the rewards for being a loyalist arrived, unit Dekkel's etc which P.G.I then sold rather than them, being the rewards for long service, as first projected as part of the F.W power point.

They then

Rather than to make it harder for merc and give Loyalists better rewards, they made it pointless by doing the exact opposite

Upvote.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

Why discuss this in general?

Why not come over to where it matters?

https://mwomercs.com...on-aug-20-2018/

View PostKhobai, on 02 September 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

makes sense to just get rid of loyalists. PGI will never do them justice.

And yet, having listened to the podcast, Paul is determined to double down on being a loyalist be worth something, while nerfing merc

View PostF Wulf, on 31 August 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

Well actually I believe a lot of factionalists are already upset, because they have a hard time finding games which makes it hard to maintain their units. At least that is what I experience.

For now, that's a very good reason to switch around a lot

Even with the events going on, sometimes I have to wait on one side, switching to the other gives me instant drops

Still, Paul's very long list of stuff being discussed (including ditching unit tax) has me hopeful

Edited by Peter2k, 02 September 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 02 September 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

Why discuss this in general?

Why not come over to where it matters?

https://mwomercs.com...on-aug-20-2018/

And yet, having listened to the podcast, Paul is determined to double down on being a loyalist be worth something, while nerfing merc

For now, that's a very good reason to switch around a lot

Even with the events going on, sometimes I have to wait on one side, switching to the other gives me instant drops

Still, Paul's very long list of stuff being discussed (including ditching unit tax) has me hopeful

not each unitleader has the time (Real life )and find it funny to switch the complete unit from faction to faction all 2 weeks for a event...than we not brought units

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:39 PM

the game never has had nor will ever have the population necessary to allow for a full scale war between multiple factions of the inner sphere all at the same time. roleplayers may find it frustrating but this is a video game and sometimes you have to make concessions for the sake of gameplay, this is one of them. the fact is pgi made more promises than were possible to deliver.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 September 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:30 PM

During the last Podcast, the powers that be were talking about how they would make FP in such a way that you choose which side to play for every time there's an event..

I think that in itself is an answer to OP's question.

Yes. Everyone's should be a Merc.

Why?

Cose' we have only about 750 people playing this game at any one time.

#19 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:22 AM

From another thread:

View PostMystere, on 03 September 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Just imagine if CW had a well-developed campaign system that caused other Clan units to drop as reinforcements or relief forces for Smoke Jaguar units engaged in a desperate battle against the Kurita, landing behind the lines of the latter as a flanking force.

But I guess creativity and imagination are LOSTECH.

Edited by Mystere, 03 September 2018 - 08:23 AM.

#20 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:33 AM

View PostMystere, on 03 September 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

But I guess creativity and imagination are LOSTECH.

LOSTECH implies it existed at one time and that theres a chance of rediscovering it

creativity and imagination simply doesnt exist in MWO and never will lol.

View PostPeter2k, on 02 September 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

and yet I dont believe a word PGI says

last time they made a bunch of promises for CW all we got were broken dreams.

Im skeptical about everything until i see it on live lol

Edited by Khobai, 03 September 2018 - 08:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users