Bushwacker X2 Faction War Scouting Build?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:18 AM

I am considering dabbling my feet into Faction Warfare, seeing as the changes they are planning for it may make it more viable for solo players.

To get a start, I want to try my luck at scouting. I read a number of posts regarding what Mechs are good choices and I keep seeing recommendations for the Bushwacker.

As I do own one, I played around a bit with Smurfy to see what I would bring into the field, knowing little about the particularies of FW.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...199ea12c063dcf0

Can anybody please tell me whether that is a workable build? Or is there something obvious to you that I am doing wrong?

I am currently using it as a double RAC5 platform in QP. Same Engine, same EML, just 2 RAC5 instead of the LBX, more ammo, plus another heatsink. I would need to switch skills around a bit to get the most out of that new build, but I do have enough exp to just get everything I need. (Less Operations and more Mobility)

Opinions?

#2 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

Rule number one for a Bushwacker scouting build is to always go full armour on the legs - they will target the legs, especially if you're the team gathering intel. It's a touch slow for a scout too; I like my Bushwacker scouts with somewhere between a 265 and 300 engine.

Also for the most part you'll be brawling. You'll occasionally get a large laser light mech poking and kiting, but expect to meet mechs like the Huntsman, Hunchback IIC, Nova, and Stormcrow.

Today I actually just tried a weird build for my BSW-X1 that did very well in-game; a streak 14, SNPPC, 4 MG build. To modify it to fit an X2 it'd look something like this: BSW-X2 The streak 2 in the torso gets put in first so the top mount is a thin blade rather than a large (targetable) box. I'm not sure how I feel about blocking the X2's second energy hardpoint with a SNPPC though; I equipped the SNPPC for both decent PPD and the ability to cancel ECM (to get the streaks to lock on ECM mechs). Switching it up to something like this BSW-X2 should be similar, though lacks the SNPPC's range.

For other different options for scouting with the X2:
BSW-X2 (AC20, 2xMPL)
BSW-X2 (AC20, SNPPC, RL20)
BSW-X2 (3xSRM6+Artemis, 2xSPL, 3xMG)

#3 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

Figured I'd bump this thread because today I decided to whip up a dual LB10X build for faction play scouting and liked how well it worked. I ended up using the BSW-X1(S), but the build can be ported over to the X2 like this: BSW-X2

Originally it had a ton less ammo (I figured three tons would be plenty) and 2 RL10s in the arm, but on the first outing I ran out of ammo and only won because my plinking away at the last Hunchback IIC's legs with my medium laser (we were defending on Polar Highlands, so I figured if I could just leg him he wouldn't be able to get to the landing zone) worried him enough that he overheated and killed himself on the final alpha that killed me. Everybody died and we got the win.

I found it's a nice, cold build that seems to deliver consistent damage. I think about the only change I'd make to fit it into the X2 is swap the medium laser out for two small lasers, since you have to two CT hardpoints. You'd probably want to get some speed tweak nodes to bump the speed over 80kph, though I suppose you could drop a half-ton of ammo and go with a 270 LFE for a 79.5kph top speed. You'd also want to get the LBX nodes in the firepower tree.

#4 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:35 PM

View PostRuccus, on 04 September 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Originally it had a ton less ammo (I figured three tons would be plenty)

I'm running dual lb10-x on an enforcer, with both nodes i have 81 round @ 3 tons, that is plenty.

#5 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for trying out that build for me. :) I built it like that because I only have that Engine right now and no money to buy a new one. What can I say, I only have 21 Mechs, so I have not accumulated too much spare material.

Nice to hear that with a few tweaks, it is useable. Guess I will try that out soon, then. Need a bit more money for the equipment. So I expect I will take a look after the current event is over. Will need to farm some money over the weekend. :)

I am the typical weekend warrior, I tend to only have time to play on Saturdays, Sunday and Monday and then at irregular times. Hence the late start into faction warfare.

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

The double LB10s wreck face. Good choice i say! Just put full leg armor. The arms need none, they've got armor through the quirks. The head needs less also. Ammo in the legs is debatable, too. Also, i'd switch from meds to small pulse lasers for more close combat amplification. You might also go with flamers on a hot map.

#7 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:48 PM

Well, it will probably be October before I get to try this out. I only have next weekend to play, after that I am vacationing at the beach, without a Computer, for two weeks. :)

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:04 PM

I actually have a similar build but with a XL.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...1771beacf18d390

Unless you have a missile launcher adding to your hit box + silhouette, the Bushwacker is one of the few mechs that can run a IS XL without it being suicidal.

#9 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:50 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 04 September 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Unless you have a missile launcher adding to your hit box + silhouette, the Bushwacker is one of the few mechs that can run a IS XL without it being suicidal.

Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 05 September 2018 - 01:50 AM.

#10 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:28 AM

Yes I'd be a bit leery of running an XL engine in a Bushwacker, though I'm trying to debate in my mind whether it would be better to drop into scouting with the dual LB10X build in a 250LFE or the stock 275XL (assuming you kept the engine). The 250LFE might be a bit too slow, ending up with the player lagging behind the rest of the group and allowing the enemy to engage before all the mechs are ready. But if you've got teammates that are patient and can help maneuver the enemy into your firing position rather than having the speed to get into position it could work.

A 275XL would keep up and sometimes the enemy will be legging right from the start so they might not notice the loadout and speed and switch to taking out a torso (but if they do, you're toast). It's a tough call.

Another option would be to go with a standard engine. While LFE engines are the new hotness, a BSW-X2 still has some viable standard engine builds. Being able to zombie with a couple lasers can sometimes mean the difference between a win and a loss.

BSW-X2 (275 engine, AC20, 2xMPL)
BSW-X2 (275 engine, 3xASRM6, 2xMPL)
BSW-X2 (275 engine, 3xSRM6, 2xMPL)
BSW-X2 (275 engine, 2xAC5, 2xSPL)

The first two are decent, inexpensive deadside brawlers (use the right side to 'catch' the enemy alpha strike, then turn and unload your alpha), the third is an option on number two (two's a bit hot and you probably don't have artemis on your X2; SRM spread might be an issue though), and the dual AC5 build is a nice inexpensive quickplay build for those who found the stock XL engine was too fragile but couldn't afford an LFE engine. My only modification for scouting was to remove a ton of AC5 ammo and put it into the energy weapons (I think the original had a single ML or 2xSL depending on the Bushwacker model). I really like the AC5 as a weapon that is both cold enough to brawl and has the range to play the distance game; dual AC5s is what I run in my Grid Iron and it works well.

There are a lot of ways to make a serviceable Bushwacker scouting build and for those without much cash the standard engine builds above should be enough to give you a fighting chance.

Edit: I'm not a huge fan of the UAC5 (don't hate them, but I don't like risking winning and losing on a jam), but this BSW-X2 is a nice standard engine build if you don't mind praying to the Jam Gods.

Edited by Ruccus, 05 September 2018 - 05:03 AM.

#11 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:51 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 September 2018 - 01:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

The Bushwacker has such a thin profile, the only time a XL has given me trouble is win I running missiles which adds that rather large missile launcher to your torso (I do use a LFE on my P1) 9 times out of 10, I'll die from getting legged before getting cored or losing a side torso.

Note: they always aim for the legs on the Bushwacker

Edited by Steel Raven, 05 September 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#12 Chronic Noobetism

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIf I was up your nose, you'd know

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:45 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 05 September 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Note: they always aim for the legs on the Bushwacker

Yeah, I saw yesterday that they're pretty serious about legs. Posted Image

The last couple of months I've been using the BSW-P2, because I've had some matches where I lasted long enough to run out of ammo, and wanted to supplement the cannons with small lasers.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...76f339bac003305

I used medium lasers in the RA for a while, then had a couple of matches where the enemy blew that arm off. That prompted me to carry small lasers in the CT. 4 ERSLs actually ran hot, so I decided on a mix of 2xSL & 2xERSL.
For 3 matches yesterday it hardly mattered what I carried, because the enemy blew my legs off in a matter of seconds. Posted Image

Edited by Chronic Noobetism, 24 April 2019 - 02:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users