Running The Game On Ubuntu + Steam Play

83 replies to this topic

#41 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:52 AM

Well, my Wine installation by now is a huge pile of dirty hacks piled on top of one another by now.

Reporting that the game has run well for a few days now.

#42 Rascally Jack

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:12 AM

But does it not feel good to be dirty for a change? Just sayin... :D :D :D

#43 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:37 AM

I updated the wine build to 4.2 and enabled Esync. The FPS is getting seriously good now.

#44 sleet01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostGagis, on 19 February 2019 - 05:37 AM, said:

I updated the wine build to 4.2 and enabled Esync. The FPS is getting seriously good now.

EDIT: NVM, looks like I had one good run as a fluke. It's back to crashing now; I don't think the tkg-mwo-4.1 patch applied.

Agreed. Here's what I'm running now:

Lutris 5.0b
Wine runners:
+ tkg-4.2-x86_64 (should include Esync support)
+ tkg-mwo-4.1

Enable DXVK: On
Enable Esync: On

FPS: 1080p ~45fps solid (after textures load)

Edited by sleet01, 24 February 2019 - 01:39 PM.

#45 ThatFnGuy

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

Does anyone else get big slow downs in the mech bay while using the 4.x series? I've only been able to do 3.21 without the mechbay running at a crawls pace of 1 FPS.

#46 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

View PostThatFnGuy, on 24 February 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Does anyone else get big slow downs in the mech bay while using the 4.x series? I've only been able to do 3.21 without the mechbay running at a crawls pace of 1 FPS.

I too get mechbay slowdown in 4.x ut not in 3.x. It got less bad after I tried several more tweaks such as installing flash or msxml via winetricks and enabling or disabling esync, but I cant unfortunately remember which is the thing that actually helped. It seems to be related to how text images and news are displayed in mechbay.

#47 Stormtux

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

View PostThatFnGuy, on 24 February 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Hi all, I have just installed MWO and I too have the low FPS problem in the mech bay. I am using lutris with the 4.x tkg-mwo version of wine installed by lutris. In battle FPS are acceptable but I still need to play a little with the settings to have more stable performances. Is there a way to use a 3.x version (or any version without the mech bay fps problem) of wine without compiling from source? The only version of tkg-mwo listed in my lutris installation is the 4.x version currently in use.

I used to play MWO some years ago but stopped when I switched to Linux. I recently bought the game Battletech and I remembered how much i liked mechs . With the new developments in proton and lutris I discovered I could play again so I just re-installed the game.

#48 ThatFnGuy

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

View Poststormech, on 28 February 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

Is there a way to use a 3.x version (or any version without the mech bay fps problem) of wine without compiling from source?

Yes, I have built WINE-TKG 3.21 with the MWO patch (and have also included some Proton full screen patches and the KDE Plasma system tray fix). I am working on a MWO on Linux video for newbies to get setup on their linux machines. In the mean time you can download the patched wine from my MEGA folder. Once downloaded run

tar xvf wine-tkg-git-MWO.tar.xz -C ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/

Then it should appear as an available runner in Lutris. Mind you I always recommend building it yourself because you can use local optimizations specifically for your CPU that will make a small performance improvement.

#49 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:27 AM

I can also build and package the build I am using if someone needs it.

I am applying the tkg patches for Mechwarrior Online, Magic the Gathering Arena and the Steam/Proton stuff on latest wine-staging from git with dxvk+dxup and vkd3d and esync enabled.

#50 Stormtux

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:22 AM

View PostThatFnGuy, on 01 March 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

Yes, I have built WINE-TKG 3.21 with the MWO patch (and have also included some Proton full screen patches and the KDE Plasma system tray fix). I am working on a MWO on Linux video for newbies to get setup on their linux machines. In the mean time you can download the patched wine from my MEGA folder. Once downloaded run

Thanks, I just tested your build but I think there may be a problem about absolute/relative path because i get this error:

wine: failed to initialize: /home/ronoverdrive/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-tkg-git-MWO-3.21.r0.ge6e67f2a/lib32/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I never tried to compile wine because there are so many variants and patches and tons of options... and I am quite lazy Posted Image. When I have some time maybe I will read some documentation and try to understand where to start from.

Update:
I tried to make work you build but i stuck with another problem.
1. I made a link from the home directory wine expects to mine
2. I fixed the name of the folder where I extracted your package
Now I get this error:
wine: failed to initialize: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /home/ronoverdrive/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-tkg-git-MWO-3.21.r0.ge6e67f2a/lib32/wine/ntdll.dll.so)

Looks like my distro (KDE Neon, based on Ubuntu) uses an older libc version:
~$ file /lib32/libc.so.6
/lib32/libc.so.6: symbolic link to libc-2.27.so
~$ file /lib32/libc-2.27.so
/lib32/libc-2.27.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=63b3d43ad45e1b0f601848c65b067f9e9b40528b, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped

Meanwile I read some documentation on how to compile wine, It is even more complicated then expected! Posted Image

Edited by Stormtux, 02 March 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#51 ThatFnGuy

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostStormtux, on 02 March 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Thanks, I just tested your build but I think there may be a problem about absolute/relative path because i get this error:

wine: failed to initialize: /home/ronoverdrive/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-tkg-git-MWO-3.21.r0.ge6e67f2a/lib32/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try now. I think I see what I did wrong as far as the linking is concerned. Now I am compiling this on Antergos (Arch) so if its still giving you issues it may be because I have newer libs then Ubuntu. If its still giving you issues I'll try building it in an ubuntu chroot.

View PostGagis, on 02 March 2019 - 03:27 AM, said:

I can also build and package the build I am using if someone needs it.

I am applying the tkg patches for Mechwarrior Online, Magic the Gathering Arena and the Steam/Proton stuff on latest wine-staging from git with dxvk+dxup and vkd3d and esync enabled.

I wouldn't build it with DXUP as its effectively a dead project now that Joshua is working on D9VK to replace it.

#52 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

I've made a docker-based builder for this custom wine build to make it easier to try. So far it just applies the patch from this thread, but we could add other MWO-based optimizations. Let me know if the instructions have any mistakes; hopefully this will make it easier for more people to try out this WINE build.

https://github.com/kendase3/ERLLCOOLJ

update: this works on my machine in its current form. so far i've tried dx11 and got about 10-20 fps in match so basically unusable. i'd love to be able to make additional changes within the wine prefix without having to monkey with anything else on my system. currently i'm looking into switching to https://github.com/V...Software/Proton .
According to the docs, Proton allows for local builds to be selectable per-game in the drop-down menu like any other proton version. I'm going to try to sort that out.

In case you guys are unfamiliar with docker: it's a nice way to run builds in a known environment with minimal state that can be run on basically any distribution. The steps in the dockerfile should be helpful even if you are trying to build it yourself without docker.

Edited by UrAllJerks, 02 March 2019 - 10:41 PM.

#53 Stormtux

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

View PostThatFnGuy, on 02 March 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Try now. I think I see what I did wrong as far as the linking is concerned. Now I am compiling this on Antergos (Arch) so if its still giving you issues it may be because I have newer libs then Ubuntu. If its still giving you issues I'll try building it in an ubuntu chroot.

Now i get this error:
wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib32/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looks like it is still an absolute path.
Both proton and wine documentations uses containers to build, proton documentation talks about vagrant and wine about lxc. If you want to build for other systems this is probabily a step that will solve a lot of problems.
I think another interesting start point is the repo of tk-glitch:
https://github.com/T...ne-tkg-profiles
Looks like in the MWO profile is possible to define a "_staging_version".
I just started to play with proton but I am still downloading stuff. Just to have an idea, how much time is required to compile wine? My processor have some years (i5 2500) and I fear it will require a lot of time (hours? days?).

#54 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:34 AM

View PostStormtux, on 03 March 2019 - 05:23 AM, said:

I just started to play with proton but I am still downloading stuff. Just to have an idea, how much time is required to compile wine? My processor have some years (i5 2500) and I fear it will require a lot of time (hours? days?).

Maybe 30 minutes.

View PostGagis, on 03 March 2019 - 05:32 AM, said:

Maybe 30 minutes.

I wouldn't build it with DXUP as its effectively a dead project now that Joshua is working on D9VK to replace it.

Thanks for the info. I dropped vkd3d too since I probably wont really encounter it anywhere.

Staging and Esync patchsets are still warmly recommended with MWO. dxvk is also great but a bit more complicated.

#55 Stormtux

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

Reading the proton documentation looked like the compilation was more automated than other solutions. I tried to follow the instructions and it was easier than expected. I successfully compiled a patched proton version and now I can play MWO from Steam. If someone want to try, this is what I have done. First get all the source code:
git clone https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton.git proton
cd proton
git submodule update --init

Now you need vagrant to compile inside a container. All the procedure is automated thanks to the Makefile available in the root of the proton repository.
Execute:
make vagrant

Will create the container, configure and install all the required stuff. This will require quite some time, depending on the bandwidth of your connection.
Now you can apply the patch to wine to fix the crash, more info on page 2 of this thread.
To launch the compilation of proton simply run:
make proton

from the root folder of the proton repository. No need to log in the container.
In the same way a:
make install

will install a complete deployment of proton in the correct folder of your steam installation and name it "proton-localbuild".

To use this build with MWO you need to enable Proton for non verified games from the "Steam Play" section of the Steam settings. Then open the Settings of the game MWO from your steam library and inside the General tab enable the checkbox to allow a custom proton version. Inside the combobox below you should see and select an entry named "proton-localbuild" (you need to reload steam so it can detect the custom build).

The current version does not suffer the low frame rate problem inside the menu (maybe because wine is not yet updated to version 4).

Some final notes:
  • Resist the temptation to add the "-j" option the the Makefile to speed up the compilation and installation. I had done the change and i think it is the cause of compilation failure I had in my first attempts.
  • On my system the "make install" step required more time than i was expecting. It looked like to be stuck for some time but finally it completed successfully

#56 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

After dinking around with getting dxvk to work with my previous wine build last weekend, today I gave up and tried the proton instructions as StormTux suggested. You'll need vagrant and virtualbox installed but nothing else too zany. It's also kind of a pain to have to stop the VM separately with `vagrant halt` when it's done, but other than that no complaints.

I just played a match and got pretty outstanding framerate. The downside of doing it the proton way is everyone has to compile it for themselves (it took about 20-30m on my machine). The upside is that instead of just wine or dxvk, Proton comes with a bunch of other goodies like faudio, controller support etc. and other than having to wait, the actual instructions are easy to follow.

edit: one thing to note is that it does require some hard drive space; i had to free up about 50 gigs. if it hangs suddenly setting up your vagrant box, that's likely your issue. you can check with `df -h`.

Edited by UrAllJerks, 12 March 2019 - 10:50 PM.

#57 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:05 PM

My mechbay works flawlessly since the Corsair patch. Very smooth all the way.

#58 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Just wanted to chime in that I've been playing MWO again pretty regularly since using the localproton build. I can't alt-tab out when it's running but the overlay works fine. VOIP works, all the little stuff works. Everything is super-dark on certain parts of the new Terra Therma but I assume that is 'The Way It's Meant to be Played'. The new Solaris City map is also a little slower for me, but in general I get 60 frames on medium and my machine is not particularly great (an Intel NUC skullbox thing). I've gotten a crash every now and then (twice total) when switching through spectating different people after I die, but never while I'm playing.

Edited by UrAllJerks, 26 March 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#59 Stormtux

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:37 AM

View PostGagis, on 19 March 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

My mechbay works flawlessly since the Corsair patch. Very smooth all the way.

For me even after the Corsair patch the framerate of the mechbay is still around 3 fps using lutris with wine version "tkg-mwo-4.1".
After the release of Proton 4.2 i tried to compile and run the new version and it works fine both in game and in the machbay. Without an automated benchmark mode I cannot judge about performance, it looks the same i had on the previous Proton version 3.16-8.
Once in a while I too have some crashes, it happens after the end of some matches, when going back to the machbay.

Edited by Stormtux, 28 March 2019 - 04:37 AM.

#60 ohartenstein23

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

Updated the original post with links to the compile instructions. Thanks to everyone who's helped out figuring how to make this work, I appreciate it! Five months of not having to use a Windows partition just for MWO and it feels great.

Also not necessarily related to running on Ubuntu/Linux, but if you like to ALT+TAB frequently, running the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen can help prevent some crashes or weirdness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users