12 replies to this topic

#1 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

The next IS heavy should be the Gallowglas, especially if we can't have the Crusader for whatever reason. The Gallowglas was designed "to counter the threat of the Clans" and is era-appropriate (3055).

Here is the Sarna link: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gallowglas

Plus it is a Wolf's Dragoons mech.

Edited by Ed Steele, 15 September 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:48 PM

Can't say I agree. Looking at the variants, it's either a Warhammer or a Grasshopped depending on presence of ballistics or JJs. Doesn't really add much to the game, capability wise.

#3 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 September 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Can't say I agree. Looking at the variants, it's either a Warhammer or a Grasshopped depending on presence of ballistics or JJs. Doesn't really add much to the game, capability wise.

Depending on how they finally model it, it could be like a Grasshopper with a better profile and better hit boxes, or like a Black Knight with JJ. Also, the original TRO artwork looks pretty good and I think that Alex could make it better. At this point almost any Mech they add to the game will be somewhat redundant, unless it can mount tech that is not yet available.

#4 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 16 September 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Depending on how they finally model it, it could be like a Grasshopper with a better profile and better hit boxes, or like a Black Knight with JJ. Also, the original TRO artwork looks pretty good and I think that Alex could make it better. At this point almost any Mech they add to the game will be somewhat redundant, unless it can mount tech that is not yet available.

The way I see it, any 'Mech added at this point needs to add new capabilities or be very interesting. Certain IS Omnis would be both, for example. New capabilities, because there are zero IS 'Mechs that can mass more than 9 energy weapons at any weight. Interesting, because no IS 'Mech currently has to be built around fixed equipment; only fixed hardpoints.

But even within the scope of BattleMechs, there is still a little bit of room. For example, we don't have any IS 75 tonners that split ballistics on one side torso and a mass of energy in the other side torso; such a 'Mech would be quite the powerhouse. Even a 'Mech as simple as the Toyama offers peaking and fire support capabilities that neither the Rifleman and Jagermech can, being too light to do so durably. We've also got a population problem at certain weights that could stand to be addressed; both Clan and IS have only a single 25 ton option, Clans only have single 20 ton and 80 ton options.

But the Gallowglas? If you like its shape, more power to you, but do not have any illusion that the hitboxes would be better than the GHR (which is actually very good in that department).

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:04 PM

Think it would be good looking, jumpy BLK, but there are other mechs I’d like to see first.

I’d buy a blackjack omi

#6 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostWindscape, on 16 September 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

Think it would be good looking, jumpy BLK, but there are other mechs I’d like to see first.

I’d buy a blackjack omi

I am not quite sure why you would want an IS omni, you still have to use IS equipment with it and I am sure that you would have the same "set of 8" quirks like the Clans have that punish your for changing the onmi-pods around. Really, would a Blackjack or Orion omni be any better than the non-omni veriants? There really isn't a point in having omnis in this game period, since you can easily reconfigure BattleMechs and they do not have all the limitations that omnis have like hard-mounted equipment.

Edited by Ed Steele, 16 September 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#7 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:15 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 16 September 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

I am not quite sure why you would want an IS omni, you still have to use IS equipment with it and I am sure that you would have the same "set of 8" quirks like the Clans have that punish your for changing the onmi-pods around. Really, would a Blackjack or Orion omni be any better than the non-omni veriants? There really isn't a point in having omnis in this game period, since you can easily reconfigure BattleMechs and they do not have all the limitations that omnis have like hard-mounted equipment.

The only real hard drawback is the locked IS XL imo, but I mainly like the blackjack omi beacuse it suits my kinda playstyle (imma jagermech & Rifleman pilot).

I think some armor and some offensive quirks would make the blackjack omi pretty good. Wont be top tier, but it enjoy piloting it.

Edited by Windscape, 16 September 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#8 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:46 PM

View PostWindscape, on 16 September 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

The only real hard drawback is the locked IS XL imo, but I mainly like the blackjack omi beacuse it suits my kinda playstyle (imma jagermech & Rifleman pilot).

I think some armor and some offensive quirks would make the blackjack omi pretty good. Wont be top tier, but it enjoy piloting it.

I personally don't think that it would offer anything more than what the existing Blackjack variants could, other than the novelty of changing the hardpoints around (again, most likely at the cost of quirks).

#9 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:04 PM

Gallowglas Variants:

Gallowglas GAL-1GLS
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - Small Laser
Center Torso - Jump Jet
Right Torso - 2x Large Lasers
Left Torso - N/A
Right Arm - ER PPC
Left Arm - 2x Medium Pulse Lasers
Right Leg - Jump Jet
Left Leg - Jump Jet
Debuted: 3055

Gallowglas GAL-2GLS
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - Jump Jet
Left Torso - N/A
Right Arm - Gauss Rifle
Left Arm - Medium Pulse Laser
Right Leg - Jump Jet
Left Leg - Jump Jet
Debuted: 3055

Gallowglas GAL-3GLS
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - Small Laser
Center Torso - N/A
Right Torso - 2x ER Large Lasers
Left Torso - N/A
Right Arm - Gauss Rifle
Left Arm - Medium Laser
Debuted: 3064

Gallowglas GAL-4GLS
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - N/A
Right Torso - 2x ER Large Lasers
Left Torso - N/A
Right Arm - Gauss Rifle
Left Arm - ER Medium Laser
Right Leg - 2x Jump Jets
Left Leg - 2x Jump Jets
Debuted: 3064

Gallowglas GAL-2GLSA
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - Jump Jet
Left Torso - N/A
Right Arm - Heavy PPC, Light PPC
Left Arm - Medium Pulse Laser
Right Leg - Jump Jet
Left Leg - Jump Jet
Debuted: 3069

Gallowglas GAL-4GLSA
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - ER Small Laser
Center Torso - Jump Jet
Right Torso - ER Large Laser, 2x ER Medium Lasers
Left Torso - ECM
Right Arm - Gauss Rifle
Left Arm - ER Medium Laser
Right Leg - Jump Jet
Left Leg - Jump Jet
Debuted: 3067

#10 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 16 September 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

I personally don't think that it would offer anything more than what the existing Blackjack variants could, other than the novelty of changing the hardpoints around (again, most likely at the cost of quirks).

Blackjack has a lot more room for weapons, comparable to a rifleman due to the small XL.

#11 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

View PostWindscape, on 17 September 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Blackjack has a lot more room for weapons, comparable to a rifleman due to the small XL.

The Blackjack Omni is 50 tons and is stuck with an XL200 engine: http://www.sarna.net...kjack_(OmniMech) .

I am fine with this being the next IS Medium, but I want either the Crusader or Gallowglass for the next Heavy.

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 16 September 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

The BJ is one of those IS Omnis that's not absolutely terrible, but isn't necessarily great.

The Men Shen, on the other hand, would actually be good. Fast, lots of laser hardpoints (up to 10, IIRC), ECM, Crab-like shape.

On a similar note, the Black Hawk-KU would be a rather decent IS Heavy; it's a 60 ton IS Nova, but using IS MedLas instead of Clan ER Smalls. XL, but it can also nuke a target for 30+30 from 310 meters away after skill tree as opposed to 230. The hitboxes also spread damage well, as evidenced by the Clan Nova; the IS one would be bigger, but not by that much.

Raptor is a good Light 'Mech; it runs as fast as a Mist Lynx and carries weapons payloads comparable, even favorable, to a Piranha. It has the option for Jump Jets. XL doesn't matter because it would be using XL anyway.

Assault is the only weight class where I struggle to determine if there are any good IS Omnis. I think they are all about at the same level as the BJ-O: serviceable, but not good.

#13 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 18 September 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

The BJ is one of those IS Omnis that's not absolutely terrible, but isn't necessarily great.

The Men Shen, on the other hand, would actually be good. Fast, lots of laser hardpoints (up to 10, IIRC), ECM, Crab-like shape.

On a similar note, the Black Hawk-KU would be a rather decent IS Heavy; it's a 60 ton IS Nova, but using IS MedLas instead of Clan ER Smalls. XL, but it can also nuke a target for 30+30 from 310 meters away after skill tree as opposed to 230. The hitboxes also spread damage well, as evidenced by the Clan Nova; the IS one would be bigger, but not by that much.

Raptor is a good Light 'Mech; it runs as fast as a Mist Lynx and carries weapons payloads comparable, even favorable, to a Piranha. It has the option for Jump Jets. XL doesn't matter because it would be using XL anyway.

Assault is the only weight class where I struggle to determine if there are any good IS Omnis. I think they are all about at the same level as the BJ-O: serviceable, but not good.

Yeah, the BlackHawk-KU would be nice, after the Gallowglas of course.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users