25 replies to this topic

#21 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:53 PM

That first post is more of a "how to know the art of LRMing"...

#22 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

I could not resist....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:43 AM

I have some strong opinions on LRMs but this is the new player area and that sort of stuff needs set aside.

Here's the best advice anyone can give -

You're in a team of 12 vs another team of 12. Both teams are like a collection of buckets. You have a bucket of damage you can take, you have a bucket of damage you can do. You have buckets of heat. at a very simple level, each teams heat, damage output and damage take is shared. You need to be sharing all 3 buckets with your team because in the end the team that pours the damage output into the other teams damage taken bucket without their heat bucket overflowing is going to win.

Indirect fire is a benefit because you can shoot at enemies you don't have line of sight to. However it's also a negative because it can get you to not expose yourself to fire. The damage done by LRMs is significantly less effective (by about 1/2 or even 1/3) compared to direct fire. So, in essence, you're doing 1/2 the (useful) damage to the enemy that your teammates are doing and you're not sharing any of your armor.

Sharing armor isn't just about getting hit - it's about drawing fire. Lights share armor by forcing the other team to try and shoot them, wasting heat and cycle time on weapons and every moment they're trying to line up to shoot a light, or protect their back from a light, they're not shooting a teammate. This leaves your teammate safe and open to shoot the enemy. You need to be making a target of yourself. Get your own locks on targets, make enemies try to shoot you. Draw direct attention and time and weapon cycles and heat from the enemy.

If you're new you may not be that accurate yet. Always work on direct fire. If you're using LRMs in the interim that's fine - just understand that you need to be a useful part of your team and not just a leech, trying to farm damage before your team gets rolled. If you're getting high damage numbers but not winning a lot then how you're getting that damage is directly contributing to your teams loss. Don't do that.

#24 Cyenthies

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOn some planet

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

Back when I was with AW and we did our drops, I liked to run with a BLR-1S. 2x LRM15, 1x LRM10, 1x Narc, 1 Tag, 3x Med Laser, artemis, scan range, lock time, uav and bap modules. Filled to the brim with ammo, 1500+. Found the best range for damage and general LRM madness was in the 210-475 m range. Of course, this meant I couldn't hide, and I had to be right there with the other assaults. Which meant I ran out of LRMS, and was always with one leg, and missing both arms by the time we either won or lost. But oh! the 700+ damage done, components falling everywhere! Benefit was by holding off on firing till you were quite sure they were going to count, which meant you was just another assault mech till then, and could survive long enough to get into that sweet, sweet range, where AMS could only hit 25% MAX before they splashed down and that poor guy lost vision while the lance-mates just picked 'em apart. Was the only and best way to use them, imho. Missiles were an art, and the best could sling 'em onto 4 targets at a time, under bridges, curve, pop 'em and what have you. They were meant for distance yes, but that just gives folks time to hide, unless you knew the terrain and had a spotter. Sweet spot was when it took 1 sec. for every 100m traveled, which kinda makes AMS useless, tbh. Then the PGI nerfing began mostly cause 75% of the team brought racks of missles, but no point defense, and matches were seriously lopsided with insane LRM madness. Now, pretty much a lost art.

#25 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

About Timmy, Johnny, and Spike

https://magic.wizard...pike-2013-12-03

Doh, wrong Spike

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 08 October 2018 - 11:23 PM.

#26 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 26 September 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

I could not resist....

Posted Image

HBK-4J: 2 x LRM10, 4 x ML. Soften them up with LRM and poke to death with some pinpoint.Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users