77 replies to this topic

#61 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

If there had been sales like these when I was a new player (when they got rid of the 'rule of three' mech thing), I'd have been all over them.

Some decent value there for new players.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#62 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

MWO is a profitable business (citation: pgi more than doubled in size and funded a whole new game, mw5, as well as developing a new engine they can use for mwo2).

As soon as mw5 is done they will take that engine and develop mwo2, to be released a year or two later, just about when mwo reaches eol and switch over to it. Hopefully existing players retain most of their progress and a new engine allows for much more development flexibility. Most of the issues both we as players and pgi as developers experience with MWO is related to the engine.

Regarding sales, this is business as usual for any F2P game of a similar age. Its a function of the amount of content available. Once a game reaches a certain content threshold you can have year round sales without selling the same stuff. If you have constant churn, like any f2p game has, those sales have value to large parts of the playerbase while you still pump out new content on a monthly basis (mechpacks, decals, bolt ons, colours, etc.) combined with normal constant f2p consumable content (premium time, mech bays, consumables, camo, etc.)

tldr; Business as usual, stop complaining if you have no clue what you're talking about.

#63 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostForceUser, on 01 October 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

MWO is a profitable business (citation: pgi more than doubled in size and funded a whole new game, mw5, as well as developing a new engine they can use for mwo2).

You're aware of the existence of Canadian government subsidies and incentives to certain industries, right? Posted Image

Also, PGI is not developing any new engines. They're using commercially-available ones (free or otherwise).

Edited by Mystere, 01 October 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#64 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostMystere, on 01 October 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

You're aware of the existence of Canadian government subsidies and incentives to certain industries, right? Posted Image

Didn't do Capcom Vancouver any good.Posted Image

Also, PGI is not developing any new engines. They're using commercially-available ones (free or otherwise).

They're heavily modifying an engine, just like they did with MWO. Could have worded it differently but effectively they are developing an engine, even if they are starting with an existing engine.

#65 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

I like sales . Personally I think PGI knows exactly how to score maximum pay every month and just riding that pot of gold

They make me feel I get as much as I give . I have never any game of this genre so much money.

#66 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:27 AM

View PostForceUser, on 01 October 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

Didn't do Capcom Vancouver any good.Posted Image

They're heavily modifying an engine, just like they did with MWO. Could have worded it differently but effectively they are developing an engine, even if they are starting with an existing engine.
yes modified thats hes now nothing can doing with it really good...no Ik back...bad performance ...alt+tab =Dc...hitreg problems ...no collisionsystem...no real good looking content...the most bolts looks like first steps from a hobbymodeller with a faible for orc srapyard feeling ...not like a solaris formula one stable and the UI by rejoin,Bolts,cockpit items is a disaster ...the minimap without each topografic infomation only most useless ..only after 4 years now the coordinates clear readable.now pgi hopes with a new engines all better and thats come guys in the team thats have experience with the new engine and bot works better for bigger companys...like many good guys from pgi thats leaves and now work for companys like relic.

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 02 October 2018 - 02:46 AM.

#67 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

We're really scraping the bottom of the things to complain about barrel, when constantly having something on discount is bothering people.

#68 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 02 October 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

We're really scraping the bottom of the things to complain about barrel, when constantly having something on discount is bothering people.

In their defense it’s the only thing that actually receives constant announcement updates. Also it is basically the only content that has been delivered to MWO in the past 5 years.

#69 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 02 October 2018 - 02:27 AM, said:

yes modified thats hes now nothing can doing with it really good...no Ik back...bad performance ...alt+tab =Dc...hitreg problems ...no collisionsystem...no real good looking content...the most bolts looks like first steps from a hobbymodeller with a faible for orc srapyard feeling ...not like a solaris formula one stable and the UI by rejoin,Bolts,cockpit items is a disaster ...the minimap without each topografic infomation only most useless ..only after 4 years now the coordinates clear readable.now pgi hopes with a new engines all better and thats come guys in the team thats have experience with the new engine and bot works better for bigger companys...like many good guys from pgi thats leaves and now work for companys like relic.

OldMWWarrior = Old crappy PC apparently. I've never DC'd alt-tabbing, and now I play Full Window with a second screen. Maybe the money you aren't spending on MWO you can afford a new router / switch / SSD / CPU or something?

#70 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

View PostForceUser, on 01 October 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

As soon as mw5 is done they will take that engine and develop mwo2, to be released a year or two later, just about when mwo reaches eol and switch over to it. Hopefully existing players retain most of their progress and a new engine allows for much more development flexibility. Most of the issues both we as players and pgi as developers experience with MWO is related to the engine.

Regarding sales, this is business as usual for any F2P game of a similar age. Its a function of the amount of content available. Once a game reaches a certain content threshold you can have year round sales without selling the same stuff. If you have constant churn, like any f2p game has, those sales have value to large parts of the playerbase while you still pump out new content on a monthly basis (mechpacks, decals, bolt ons, colours, etc.) combined with normal constant f2p consumable content (premium time, mech bays, consumables, camo, etc.)

tldr; Business as usual, stop complaining if you have no clue what you're talking about.

That doesn't prove profitability - it proves a cash position, which could be investor based.

#71 Blockwart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 26 September 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone else find these sales after sales irritating?

Yes

Is PGI so desperately grasping for money because they alienated so many costumers by their actions?

Yes

Was the RoI of Solaris that bad?

Yes

#72 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

Sales are good.

There should always be sales on.

With the amount of stuff for them to put on sale, it's only logical. Every little bit helps. And take into consideration that even veteran players, like myself, wait for sales to buy and spend MC I normally wouldn't..

Edited by Vellron2005, 03 October 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#73 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:07 PM

They shouldve petitioned Gaijin for the Dagor engine.

#74 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:29 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 02 October 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

OldMWWarrior = Old crappy PC apparently. I've never DC'd alt-tabbing, and now I play Full Window with a second screen. Maybe the money you aren't spending on MWO you can afford a new router / switch / SSD / CPU or something?
many with newest PCs have same problems ...when MWO its the only game with this problem ...not battlefield or war thunder...star conflict ...its the own pc the problem and not the minimal viable PGI product

#75 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:07 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 12 October 2018 - 12:29 AM, said:

many with newest PCs have same problems ...when MWO its the only game with this problem ...not battlefield or war thunder...star conflict ...its the own pc the problem and not the minimal viable PGI product

Have you tried running MWO in borderless/full window mode instead of 'true' fullscreen? This solved alt-tabbing problems for many players and also makes alt-tabbing much faster.

#76 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:46 AM

You do realize that even the worlds most popular game League of Legends run sales every day, right? Thats just how F2P games operate after churning out 5+ years of content.

#77 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:51 AM

I'd be able to ignore sales perfectly were there any ACTUAL content released for this game and were it in constant development and not rotting stagnation.

View Postfrumpylumps, on 27 September 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

What I find irritating are the people who are looking for any dumb reason to criticize PGI, such sales of all things.

That's because PGI put check on nearly every thing about game development.

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 01 October 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

I like sales . Personally I think PGI knows exactly how to score maximum pay every month and just riding that pot of gold

They make me feel I get as much as I give . I have never any game of this genre so much money.

What PGI knows is how to make the most money out of minimal to no work. Honestly, that's quite disgusting and slimy.

Edited by Acersecomic, 12 October 2018 - 02:02 AM.

#78 Judah Malganis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:34 AM

If anything, they're catching on a bit late in holding regular sales an events. A lot of games have revolving weekly and daily offers. They also hold events on a regular basis. Putting things on discount and then giving people a bit of premium currency might convince them to spend a few bucks on one of the smaller currency packages (which are the packages that make the vast majority of the profits for companies).

Edited by Judah Malganis, 12 October 2018 - 05:35 AM.

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users