#121 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostMystere, on 10 October 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

There are already many other more worthless things in MWO. I'd rather PGI started with those first. Otherwise so-called "variety" will still be very much missing.

True, even then both techs base foundation do need to be on a more leveled playing field. IS difference is when just about everything is compared to the Clans, those components are either heavier or takes up more crit slots, or both while providing less. Then damage/destroyed wise everything is leveled out except for XLs . It also at times appear that PGI adds quirks more for balancing reason instead of flavor (geometry issues aside), or to shore up an iconic mechs. Even then, quirks come and go.

#122 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 October 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

True, even then both techs base foundation do need to be on a more leveled playing field. IS difference is when just about everything is compared to the Clans, those components are either heavier or takes up more crit slots, or both while providing less. Then damage/destroyed wise everything is leveled out except for XLs . It also at times appear that PGI adds quirks more for balancing reason instead of flavor (geometry issues aside), or to shore up an iconic mechs. Even then, quirks come and go.

Frankly, I'd skip the "both techs base foundation do need to be on a more leveled playing field" and go lore-based by having Clan vs. IS formations and some form of ticket-based reinforcement system in CW.

As for QP, solo or otherwise, and Solaris who really cares? Tech bases are irrelevant in those modes.

Edited by Mystere, 11 October 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#123 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

just give isxl intrinsic mobility buffs. st death can stay.

#124 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

I'm of the opinion that is engines simply take up too much space for too little weight savings.

Half the time when i design my is mech loadouts, i'm either cockblocked by a lack of critical slots or a lack of available tonnage.

I'm cool with single st death. But the benefits of isxl don't measure up to that huge drawback. You should be able to throw a lot more guns or way bigger guns on an xl engine mech. Not just trade a single ml for a lpl.

#125 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 11 October 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

I'm of the opinion that is engines simply take up too much space for too little weight savings.

Half the time when i design my is mech loadouts, i'm either cockblocked by a lack of critical slots or a lack of available tonnage.

I'm cool with single st death. But the benefits of isxl don't measure up to that huge drawback. You should be able to throw a lot more guns or way bigger guns on an xl engine mech. Not just trade a single ml for a lpl.

At this point of the game it should not have that huge drawback. But what you are wishing for is definitely outside the realm of possibilities because we have seen that PGI has never bulge on component weight nor crit space. The closes PGI has come to that is when they doubled the amount of pts for Armor/Structure per ton, but then that is simply health points, ie how much damage something can take before being totally non-operable/destroyed.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 October 2018 - 01:55 PM.

#126 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

With the new heat scale update, PGI really does need to make this change..

cXL 20% movement / 30% engine heat dissipation
isXL 25-30% movement / 40-45% engine heat dissipation
LFE 15% movement / 15-20% engine heat dissipation

#127 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 03 October 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

If I could run a Commando with a Clan XL I don't think I'd ever lose.

Mmm a deathknell with cXXL and 4 cmpl... mmm *slap* SLAP YOUR SELF OUT OF IT GRUS!!!

Sorry, was a momentary weakness.

NO..

#128 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:08 PM

To the OP, a simple no.

#129 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostSable, on 21 October 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

To the OP, a simple no.

And why, pray tell? What mechs are your boogie-mechs? Allowing isXL to survive 1st ST loss will not make any mech a supermech. And dependent on engine cap, it may a savings of a few tons, enough to increase max speed and maybe add a HS in the engine. Do not forget the engine decoupling so no increase in agility, etc, only max speed.

Lets not forget IS Omnimechs, if/when introduced and will likely retain the current Clan Omni ruleset, who wants to play a mech that it will be easier/simpler to go for a ST instead of CT? That savings/damage advantage needs to be rectified. And the non-lethal penalties can provide enough differences that for those mechs straddling the line, LFE may be good enough w/lesser penalties if a player experiences ST loss more often than not.

#130 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:56 AM

Right now, many who are in disagreement would appear to be those who do not nor want to see the overall value of having isXL survive the loss of side torso, and many consider it challenging to run an isXL while clapping in glee when their opponents do nor, or when a ST is destroyed and the mech goes down, ecstatic.

With the changed Heat Scale with both cap and dissipation rate changes, players, especially Clan players, would take it better if their dissipation rate penalty was decreased. isXL survival would also open up the viability of IS Omnimechs, remove the "preferential treatment" Clan trial mechs have over IS trial mechs when a new player starts the game, having to deal with huge difference between how many ways a IS mech can be destroyed compared to Clan mech, or even when PURCHASING a new IS mech, be it a Hero, Loyalty mech etc equipped w/isXL engine.

LFE 15% movement penalty - 20% engine heat dissipation penalty
cXL 20% movement penalty - 30% engine heat dissipation penalty
isXL 30% movement penalty - 45% engine heat dissipation penalty

Lets not forgot it would not give IS something the Clans do not already have nor exceed Clan battlemechs, Clans would not be put at an disadvantage. Clans would still benefit from equipment taking up fewer slots and weighting less while their weapons do more damage with greater range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users