41 replies to this topic

#21 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 04 October 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

My biggest gripe with MWO?
THE COMMUNITY.
Non-lore meta scum loadouts (endorsed by community)

Most
Effective
Tactic
Available

Lore or non-lore will always produce a meta. I'd suggest you just go back and look into what that means. Or you know, watch some World Championships to see this in effect.

Non-lore open mechlab (no downsides like wait time, availability,tech skill etc)

I don't even know that this means. Mechlab is and has always been the best part of MW/BT.

Scumbag Nascar runs (community)

That's an individual player thing. Good players know how to play properly and/or when nascar is appropriate.

Non-lore lack of repair and rearm (due to community cry)

RR only hurts new players and bads. I've got tens of millions of Cbills to throw around right now. I've have hundreds of millions in the past. RR wouldn't affect me a shred.

Clans (where's muh mad cat community)

Clans are fun.

Nerf/buff cycles (wild goose chase due to community cry)

People complaining about CLANS OP are the ones to blame for nerfs. Try paying attention. Every good player has been against just about every nerf.

Sense a pattern?

Players who have never broken 1.0 w/l trying to talk about "balance"?

COMMUNITY

lol

#22 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 04 October 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

People complaining about CLANS OP are the ones to blame for nerfs. Try paying attention. Every good player has been against just about every nerf.

Clans have been OP since day one. There are very few people who are true lovers of their lore. Most are just riding the tech-crutch and making excuses rather than admit it. This goes right back to the Tabletop era, it's nothing new. The problem is the players, they like the power fantasy. and the clans sell as a result. MWO was balanced before the clans dropped. HBS:BattleTech is balanced, but it won't be once the clans drop there. The same will be true of MW5.

If you can sell people an easy win they'll pay for it. They were selling premium ammo in WOT, I wouldn't be surprised if PGI entertained the idea at some point.

#23 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 04 October 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

Players who have never broken 1.0 w/l trying to talk about "balance"?

COMMUNITY

lol

Just don't agree with me sir.
Don't be a stat shaming puke. You'll lose all gravitas in your statement.

#24 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 October 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

Clans have been OP since day one. There are very few people who are true lovers of their lore. Most are just riding the tech-crutch and making excuses rather than admit it. This goes right back to the Tabletop era, it's nothing new. The problem is the players, they like the power fantasy. and the clans sell as a result. MWO was balanced before the clans dropped. HBS:BattleTech is balanced, but it won't be once the clans drop there. The same will be true of MW5.

If you can sell people an easy win they'll pay for it. They were selling premium ammo in WOT, I wouldn't be surprised if PGI entertained the idea at some point.

Pre clan had meta.

Stock mode IS World Championships have meta. Meta is just the best choices rising to the top.

You've invented an arbitrary "IS vs Clan" distinction that doesn't exist in MWO outside of FP. Clans, even at the height of their dominance in stats, aren't "unbalanced" because they aren't measured against anything.

#25 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

[mod]Due to predominantly unconstructive discussion,
this thread has been moved to Kaetetôã.[/mod]

#26 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

THE COMMUNITY.
Non-lore open mechlab (no downsides like wait time, availability,tech skill etc)
Non-push wait fests (when not Nascar)
Stagnant map usage (community "accepted" tactics wasting 100km sq of map for 100 metres of a certain tunnel)
Sense a pattern?
Pgi may have it's issues. Especially listening to the wrong people and e-peen/e-sports aspirations.
But the real blame. Is us.
The community.

Yup, and my biggest gripe is also the community, mechdads who run lore loadouts when they know they are sub-par, dragging their entire team down, not even putting up token resistance when on the other side.

People who actually want repair and rearm as a cbill sink for no reason. People who insist on "pushing" when its obviously a bad move, because they can't be bothered to bring mechs with actual ranged weapons because they can't aim.

Yup. The community is really a problem.

#27 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 04 October 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

Yup, and my biggest gripe is also the community, mechdads who run lore loadouts when they know they are sub-par, dragging their entire team down, not even putting up token resistance when on the other side.

People who actually want repair and rearm as a cbill sink for no reason. People who insist on "pushing" when its obviously a bad move, because they can't be bothered to bring mechs with actual ranged weapons because they can't aim.

An inflammatory agreeance. Weird. /Sarcasm
You are allowed to disagree with me but you being a jackhole about it is tedious.
Mech-dad indeed. Your descriptions sound like people I'd rather be around. It seems more immersive. Wonder why?

Edited by HammerMaster, 04 October 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

THE COMMUNITY.
Non-push wait fests (when not Nascar)
Stagnant map usage (community "accepted" tactics wasting 100km sq of map for 100 metres of a certain tunnel)
Sense a pattern?
Pgi may have it's issues. Especially listening to the wrong people and e-peen/e-sports aspirations.
But the real blame. Is us.
The community.

to a degree. but there is a reason the community is so salty and i cant say that they are entirely to blame for this. were stuck with what amounts to a shovelware developer who is either unable or unwilling to create the game that they sold to everyone and failed to deliver.

#29 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 04 October 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

to a degree. but there is a reason the community is so salty and i cant say that they are entirely to blame for this. were stuck with what amounts to a shovelware developer who is either unable or unwilling to create the game that they sold to everyone and failed to deliver.

I agree with what wasn't delivered. True. But that is a different thread.

#30 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 04 October 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

In QP pushing is what usually wins. It takes a lot more coordination or higher individual player skill to manage a firing line/lanes. Given that most pugs can't be trusted to even unzoom when getting leg-humped by a Lolcust in QP the team that camps/tries to stay back tends to lose.

A well coordinated brawl push is tough to pull off too. However for QP 'go that way' is easier than 'stay in this position, don't get pushed back or flanked'.

#31 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

I had a fantastic match the other day.
Must have been my best match since closed beta.

#32 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

Lore builds are built around the idea of RNG hit location and having about a 50% chance to hit a mech somewhere, anywhere, with a medium laser at just 180m.

They are a horrible and pointless idea in a FPS environment and the books also largely ignored them and random hit location and tons of other things.

Because they have no place in this sort of environment.

#33 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:11 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 04 October 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Mech-dads unite!

#34 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 October 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

Lore builds are built around the idea of RNG hit location and having about a 50% chance to hit a mech somewhere, anywhere, with a medium laser at just 180m.

They are a horrible and pointless idea in a FPS environment and the books also largely ignored them and random hit location and tons of other things.

What you said above.
What I hear:
MechWarrior Online a BattleTech game TM sucks because BattleTech sucks.
For shame! And blasphemy at that!

#35 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 03 October 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

Why don't you just drop assassins and run around the edge of a map and refuse to fight? You can win when the enemy gets bored and ejects. I hear all the pros do it.

Oh and then right after that go check to see if you are banned from TS so that it is actually easier to be banned from that TS....GG.

#36 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 04 October 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Score wise I would not be at all surprised at that.

#37 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 October 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

Imagine a real training sword fight where a player stands still, trusting his paper & pen RPG worth and that the opponent will miss him on the first hit thanks to his agility value

#38 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 October 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

Clan Crutch mechs. For those who can't

To be fair PGI have done a reasonable job of balancing the two factions together to just give a different flavour but it's undeniable that clan mechs by and large are more powerful and tougher. I'm going to get flamed for this but i notice the worst players are largely driving clan mechs.

You know the kind, the ones that park their hellbringer or timber wolf right behind you as you break cover to get a salvo off and then proceed to fire through you. I'd love to see the team kill stats between clan and IS. Then you have the Shadow cat player that always hides on edge of the map tickling people with ERLL or ERPPC and running away at the first sign of trouble. Or the Arctic cheetah that literally does nothing until the last two minutes and then dives in to kill steal. Or the Night gyr or supernova player that is always at the back carrying only LRMS with no backups.

I hardly drive my clan mechs as i actually find them a little dull.

#39 Zebbi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:15 AM

This game is really great at what it does, which is limited maps, almost arena combat with really nicely done mechs.

It actually reminds me of Star Citizen in some ways, a base game made with the intention of selling endless spaceships/mechs

while the base game is almost ignored.

Just MWO is way cheaper, more fun, less buggy, and i think worth the $20 a month for the new mech pack for what the game game currently is, not what you imagine it could be.

Just my 2c.

#40 TRODDEN

Rookie

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

In a nutshell? Worst mech game out there. Pilot Skill Rating is another way they just **** you continually....In that, you can have a perfect game, except for the -2 in team damage that you did so because of that, your PSR goes down. Almost impossible to advance. You're constantly put on some of the worst ******* i n g teams available. Put this dumb game down for 2 years, came back thinking maybe there was some hope? Absolutely not. If anything it's only gotten worse. FU CK MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users