Half Of Frozen City Is Never Played

13 replies to this topic

#1 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:42 PM

The sides of the map are divided by the giant gulf in between. Most matches are played either in the new city or the gulf around the rocks, never in the original map section which goes almost entirely unplayed in most matches of all game modes. Of course, this is all anecdotal, maybe you have amazing matches every drop in Frozen, but I doubt it.

This is a shame since I am guessing the original map was not haphazardously slapped together in 2 months to appease a vocal group who touted larger maps as being the problem solver of all of MWO. I can't blame them too much, since at the time we were having a stale map problem, and larger format maps hadn't been introduced yet.

Frozen city was not a slight rework like Viridian or a partial overhaul like River City. By changing the orientation of the teams and expanding the map, it essentially became a map completely unlike the original in practical terms of how the matches develop and where on the map matches are played. We essentially lost one of the most popular maps, OG Frozen City, from rotation and had it replaced with current Frozen City, which in my opinion does not nearly make use of its playable areas, and what it does use is not the most well designed parts of the map generally speaking. Yeah, putting the Array in the middle of the ditch makes sense on Domination, but can't we at least get Skirmish or Assault with each team in the original sides of the map? It's currently just dead space, and in my opinion the original side of the map was one of the best small maps MWO had. I'd rather play over there than in the barren, lopsided F7 city half the matches currently take place in anyway.

#2 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:09 PM

from my experience most of the map gets used. the only part i rarely see being used is the ice cavern spot. most of the modes have different spawns so a large portion of the map gets used up. Ill even occasionaly make my last stand in the dropship

#3 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

Most of us who remember the original Frozen City love that map. Most of us were horrified when they removed it and replaced it with a map they named Frozen City.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

Just Frozen City?

Hmm....

But yeah bring back Old Frozen... Assaults fighting within the first 30s if the match. None of this walking for 2-3mins. Old Frozen one of my fav maps.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:41 PM

I only got to play old frozen a handful of times, and I would still prefer it.

Those fox 7 rushes get olllllld

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

Old Frozen was fine for 8v8 but it sucked as a 12v12 map. It was way too cramped for 12v12.

They needed to make the map bigger for 12v12. But adding the valley of death in the middle was not the way to do it.

Having to completely walk around the valley of death is what makes it take so long to get anywhere on that map. Instead of having the wide open valley of death they shouldve had a glacial tundra dividing the map with an extensive cave system underneath it.

Edited by Khobai, 07 October 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#7 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

There are many maps with similar problems and Frozen City isn't all that bad compared to some like HPG manifold (probably the worst offender)

HPG has around 27 grid squares of potentiallly useable area (not out of bounds) yet around 4 of these 27 grid squares are played on.

Even with modes that utilize objectives outside the frequently used 4 squares (D4,D5 E4 and E5) those objectives are frequently touched once and left alone (with conquest you grab your two points and fight around theta like it's a skirmish, Incursion you fight in the middle of the map like it'sa skirmish,winner runs a fast mech over to the enemy base and hits something once and assault is basically skirmish and the bases are largely ignored and skirmish may as well be domination on HPG manifold because of how the map is played)

A way of fixing HPG would be to open up the entire outer area by making C2,C3 and B3 (maybe a tiny corner of B2 as well) available on the north west side of the map and G5,G6,F6 and E7 opened up on the south east side of the map.

Next you lower the height of the massive outer wall to allow easier jumpjet access and place several ramp access areas for ground bound mechs to get onto the wall. (maybe even relocate conquest control points to have a couple on the now accessable upper levels)

Lastly I would put several access tunnels into and through the large outer wall to remove some of the predictability of movement on the map by providing alternate means of reaching portions of the map.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

You sometimes have fights in the old city but only if that team stays entrenched. What they should do is add more taller buildings on that side so there's better cover like the new city. The new city is the right amount of cover and spacing between it. The old map was just too cramped for 12 v 12. The ravine is too large I think too. I think they did that to make it harder to snipe across but there's no good way to cross it except to go all the way around. They should add 2 more paths in the middle with some cover for assaults to close the gap with a little more cover.
And the cave? Just remove it. It was cool once, but in the new map it's useless. It would be sweet to have a series of paths through caves in a map, but there's not a place for it here anymore.

#9 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:25 AM

always take the 7-line for a good time

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostKhobai, on 07 October 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

Old Frozen was fine for 8v8 but it sucked as a 12v12 map. It was way too cramped for 12v12.

They needed to make the map bigger for 12v12. But adding the valley of death in the middle was not the way to do it.

Having to completely walk around the valley of death is what makes it take so long to get anywhere on that map. Instead of having the wide open valley of death they shouldve had a glacial tundra dividing the map with an extensive cave system underneath it.

Or, you know, gave it the size of a real city instead of this frozen hillbilly town claiming to be one.

#11 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

Simple fix people been asking for it for years. Each map needs more than 1 spawn location for each mode.

#12 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

Multiple spawn locations and/or map sub-regions like the Mechwarrior 3 campaign missions would do a lot to add variety and fully utilize the larger maps.

#13 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

I'm happily surprised by your guys' reaction. Wasn't sure what the crowd thought lol

#14 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

Dude, nearly all of the maps are half unused. All are so god damn big but have one chokepoint/corridor where and only there that any action happens. If I had a choice between shooting myself in the head or letting PGI design a map for my game, I'd shoot myself in the head without thinking. They have the worst map design I have ever ever seen.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users