39 replies to this topic

#21 Abaddun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 10 October 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Rifleman is glass anything but cannon, except for the laser boat variant. It's slow, it's paper thin and it doesn't have enough tonnage to be effective two ballistic mech.

Well you are clearly wrong. It can bring a pair of AC10s (or LBXs) with MedL backup without sacrificing too much. It's likely going to be more durable then the average Clan mech and it has high enough HPs to reduce exposure. If a BJ can be an effective ballistic poke mech I don't see why a rifleman can't.

#22 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostAbaddun, on 10 October 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Well you are clearly wrong. It can bring a pair of AC10s (or LBXs) with MedL backup without sacrificing too much. It's likely going to be more durable then the average Clan mech and it has high enough HPs to reduce exposure. If a BJ can be an effective ballistic poke mech I don't see why a rifleman can't.

How is Rifleman more durable than average clan mech? It doesn't have CT/ST armor or structure quirks and it's either super slow or stuck with XL engine and still kinda slow, 9 out of 10 times it's the latter. From my experience Rifleman is an easy kill.

#23 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:02 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 10 October 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Standard reward for IS: Rifleman. A mediocre chassis with mediocre hardpoints on top of it.
Standard reward for Clans: Night **** Gyr with ECM. An omnimech with cbill boost that you can build however you like.

A Rifleman with JJs it a bigger, better Blackjack. Which is a good thing.
A Night Gyr with ECM is still not going to perform well for most people.

Top tier for IS: Warhammer with bad hardpoints
Top tier for Clans: MAD IIC. An assault mech. Not the best hardpoints compared to other clan assaults but you can stuff it with lasers and it will be a decent cbills grinder. It will also have JJs unlike other MAD IIC laser boats.

A Warhammer with ECM is bad how, exactly? Sure, it doesn't have the best hardpoints, but it's still a Warhammer so it's still pretty solid as far as Heavy 'mechs go.
A Marauder IIC with JJs - just like the other 2 with JJs? Unless you want to PPC poptart, I'm not sure why you want more E rather than B hardpoints on a JJ version.

Also why doesn't ultimate pack qualify for top tier reward even though it costs nearly as much as two collector packs, especially if you've been buying some MCs?

That's because it only costs nearly as much as 2 CEs and not as mch as 2 CEs. Also general opinion is CEs are "not worth it" so they are weighted higher in the Loyalty Annual Rewards program.

View Postkapusta11, on 10 October 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Rifleman is glass anything but cannon, except for the laser boat variant. It's slow, it's paper thin and it doesn't have enough tonnage to be effective two ballistic mech.

My quad AC2, dual AC5, dual AC10, dual LB10X & dual LGauss RFLs would like a word. From at least 450m away, obviously Posted Image

#24 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:22 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 10 October 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

My quad AC2, dual AC5, dual AC10, dual LB10X & dual LGauss RFLs would like a word. From at least 450m away, obviously Posted Image

I dunno, sounds like junk builds.that are 70 ST damage away from dying.

#25 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

I'm much more interested in the IS mechs, they all bring something new to the table.

The ECM Night Gyr would have been better if PPC and Gauss were delinked. The Marauder IIC completely unspectacular.

#26 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 10 October 2018 - 02:14 AM, said:

Are you kidding me? IS ARE GETTING THE MOST POWERFUL MECH EVER!

Did you forget the 6 Machine Gun Spider... err... Javelin.

It was stated years ago they weren't going to add it to the game because 6MGs is just too powerful...

MGs?? Pfffff....
I am going to put in it a tiny engine with 6AC2’s and drop in Charlie lance.

#27 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:35 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 10 October 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

I dunno, sounds like junk builds.that are 70 ST damage away from dying.

Why are you running RFLs with only 35-40 front ST armour? That's 15-20 too low Posted Image

#28 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

Why do people think the rifleman is not agile? It twists well and has great yaw angle and decent acceleration. I run a XL in my dao breaker gauss vomit no issues. Being able to double lb10 or ac10 and with jump jets sounds real fun. Just have to wait and see what quirks it might get. Somehow I doubt it'll be lb10 quirks because of the legend killer.

#29 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostShanrak, on 10 October 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Just have to wait and see what quirks it might get. Somehow I doubt it'll be lb10 quirks because of the legend killer.

Whatever quirks it gets, they will be less than any other Rifleman; guaranteed.

As a rule PGI considers the presence of JJ as a defensive quirk negator (same thing with ECM). In terms of offensive quirks, the loyalty Rifleman might get a little bonus (no more than 5% over anything any other Rifleman has) due to only having 2B and 4E hardpoints but I doubt it will get anything note worthy and whatever it does get will be directed to the default RAC build. Just a guess based on past quirks and Chris’s trends of late.

#30 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

Rifleman is awesome, haters gonna hate. My 3C is one of my best performers, just because of its ability to get shots out consistently, without having to take a tea break every 3 shots to cool down. A rifleman that can pop tart as well as hill hump could be damn awesome, and has certainly piqued my interest, though I’m sure it’s quirks won’t be as good as the 3C or 3N for normal AC10 builds.

View PostBud Crue, on 10 October 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Whatever quirks it gets, they will be less than any other Rifleman; guaranteed. As a rule PGI considers the presence of JJ as a defensive quirk negator (same thing with ECM). In terms of offensive quirks, the loyalty Rifleman might get a little bonus (no more than 5% over anything any other Rifleman has) due to only having 2B and 4E hardpoints but I doubt it will get anything note worthy and whatever it does get will be directed to the default RAC build. Just a guess based on past quirks and Chris’s trends of late.

I’m going to bet the Rifleman gets RAC quirks, considering it’s set up, but if it could get a minus heat quirk, and maybe a velocity quirk, that would work for me. I can’t ever see myself taking RACs on it, between losing the ability to pop tart, and not having the armour to stare at the enemy.

Edited by Maddermax, 10 October 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#31 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

My only complaint is that the Marauder IIC 2 doesn't have its ER large laser in a dorsal mount like it's supposed to in canon:

Posted Image

Kind of like how I hate that the Hellslinger BattleMaster doesn't have symmetrical arms. This is just lazy Posted Image

#32 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 10 October 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

It can pack a casual 71 damage alpha with 30 heat sinks. I thought that was obvious.

If you want to talk the obvious, perhaps it should be pointed out that the current Marauder IICs do that exact same thing already.

#33 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:30 PM

Ummm, PGI is giving us 'loyalty' mechs because we bought some mechs we wanted (presumably). If you don't want to use 'em, then don't, just think of them as free mechbays.

Sheesh, talk about looking at a gift horses in the mouth...Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#34 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

Dual ac20 with jj! Im looking forward to this. Sure it might not be op but i want it.

#35 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:12 PM

The last years Victor, was pretty awesome. Currently one of my favorite Assults. Im looking forward to all the IS rewards this year. Im a big fan of the Javlin, even tho IS machine gun boats kinda suck.
A jumping Rifleman sounds cool but not had much to do with them.
I brought more stuff so I could score the Loyalty Warhammer. Probably just going to do laser vomit with it. I know its going to be worth it, cause its a bloody Warhammer.

#36 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 10 October 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

Dual ac20 with jj! Im looking forward to this. Sure it might not be op but i want it.

Sounds fun, but you sadly end up with an XL engine on a rifleman and a Pop tart who has to chain fire weapons. Worth it for the memes sure, but perhaps 2xUAC10s might work better if you wanted to double tap.

Edited by Maddermax, 10 October 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#37 Parmeggido

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 10 October 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

That's because it only costs nearly as much as 2 CEs and not as mch as 2 CEs. Also general opinion is CEs are "not worth it" so they are weighted higher in the Loyalty Annual Rewards program.

2 light mech collector packs is $60, vs the average ultimate pack, which is $70. Or maybe you want to go the full on Clan wave/IS Resistance route, which would be $80-$180, all to qualify for the same level of rewards. It would be nice if PGI could come up with some level of actual apparent consistency in their rewards program, but it's their deal, so they get to set the rules. I'll happily take everything I qualify for.

#38 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostParmeggido, on 10 October 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

2 light mech collector packs is $60, vs the average ultimate pack, which is $70. Or maybe you want to go the full on Clan wave/IS Resistance route, which would be $80-$180, all to qualify for the same level of rewards. It would be nice if PGI could come up with some level of actual apparent consistency in their rewards program, but it's their deal, so they get to set the rules. I'll happily take everything I qualify for.

2 Light CEs is $60 and a Light Ultimate is $50 - like-for-like, Ultimate is cheaper than 2 CEs (except the Phoenix Hawk, because 2 Hero 'mechs).

Resistance Top Tier are worth it (well, RII is). Clan Wave / Origins? Not so much.

They are pretty consistent, though. Mostly adding additional ways to get Top Tier Rewards. Year 1 is a mess though Posted Image

Year 1 I can't fully comment on, but I know I qualified for every 'mech having only bought a Founder's pack.

Year 2 was any level of a pack (inc. A La Carte) for the IS/Clan Rewards and any Assault Tier Collection or 2 CEs for the Top Tier IS/Clan Rewards.

Year 3 added the ability to get Top Tier IS/Clan Rewards with 6 Hero 'Mechs from Hero packs.

Year 4 added the ability to get Top Tier IS/Clan Rewards with a mix of 6 Hero 'Mechs from Hero packs, Hero Add-Ons or Reinforcement Add-Ons.

Year 5 looks to be the same as Year 4.

#39 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

Standard reward for IS: Rifleman. A mediocre chassis with mediocre hardpoints on top of it.
Standard reward for Clans: Night **** Gyr with ECM. An omnimech with cbill boost that you can build however you like.

Top tier for IS: Warhammer with bad hardpoints
Top tier for Clans: MAD IIC. An assault mech. Not the best hardpoints compared to other clan assaults but you can stuff it with lasers and it will be a decent cbills grinder. It will also have JJs unlike other MAD IIC laser boats.

No mech as ultimate reward either, just 6 cockpit items.

Ummm...there are already Mad2C options with jump jets. Two of them. And just because you think they're bad hardpoints doesn't mean everyone else does also. As to the ultimate reward...it was cockpit items last year, and the year before that.

Also why doesn't ultimate pack qualify for top tier reward even though it costs nearly as much as two collector packs, especially if you've been buying some MCs?

Because again...and they've explained this many times...its not about dollars spent... but for buying specific levels of packs. But this year they've added an alternative way, for people who just buy basics with add-ons.. Any combination of six heroes or reinforcement add-ons qualifies for the respective tech base of top-tier.

#40 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:39 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 11 October 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

2 Light CEs is $60 and a Light Ultimate is $50 - like-for-like, Ultimate is cheaper than 2 CEs (except the Phoenix Hawk, because 2 Hero 'mechs).

Resistance Top Tier are worth it (well, RII is). Clan Wave / Origins? Not so much.

They are pretty consistent, though. Mostly adding additional ways to get Top Tier Rewards. Year 1 is a mess though Posted Image

Year 1 I can't fully comment on, but I know I qualified for every 'mech having only bought a Founder's pack.

Year 2 was any level of a pack (inc. A La Carte) for the IS/Clan Rewards and any Assault Tier Collection or 2 CEs for the Top Tier IS/Clan Rewards.

Year 3 added the ability to get Top Tier IS/Clan Rewards with 6 Hero 'Mechs from Hero packs.

Year 4 added the ability to get Top Tier IS/Clan Rewards with a mix of 6 Hero 'Mechs from Hero packs, Hero Add-Ons or Reinforcement Add-Ons.

Year 5 looks to be the same as Year 4.

I love how all the year 1 "exclusive" mechs were all in the game for cbills by 2016.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users