Remember The Old Minimap Where You Could Tell What Your Teammates Were Up To?

HUD

25 replies to this topic

#21 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostHarlock69, on 10 October 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

Maybe keep it simple, and just add a ' nose' to the existing icon, pointing in the direction of motion? Posted Image

That's pretty neat but I would take one step forward with this replacement for the radar markers:

Posted Image

That way you can rotate radar blips without an horizontal line becoming a vertical line or vice versa. besides I honestly think these ones are far more clear about what is a medium and what is a heavy as well as more intuitive.

To add even more I would add two radar nodes to the sensor SKILL TREE, no node only mech positions, 1 node radar shows weight classes, 2 nodes radar shows weight and facing direction.

This would be a nice thing so we are unlikely to get it Posted Image

#22 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:48 AM

you know what would be even better than different icons?

A real map - currently its just a orthogonal 2D picture of the map. (plus or minus some color overlay)
Even a satellite image shows terrain features better because its not orthogonal - maps like Caustic or Terra are unreadable add some colorblindness to the mix and you can ignore the map at all.

Unfortunately like the "ECM" feature you are gutting a fundamental "communication" issue with the map change. Of course for a team-game its a acceptable feature but combined with the "PUG" game concept its a bad one.

Because some mentioned WoT - there tanks "blend" into the terrain and are not longer visible. So the same as ECM? Not really... because when you can see the tank its visible for all other team mates. Where as a Atlas under ECM might be visible for you and only you, with VOIP you might warn your team mates.... but without a useable map you can't even call coordinates.... maybe something like "Atlas in Echo-Foxtrot Three Four" -
not half as precise as the 3 button press chat Information before ECM t+C+Enter

Edited by Karl Streiger, 11 October 2018 - 03:48 AM.

#23 Harlock69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 144 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

View PostBrizna, on 11 October 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

That's pretty neat but I would take one step forward with this replacement for the radar markers:

Posted Image

That way you can rotate radar blips without an horizontal line becoming a vertical line or vice versa. besides I honestly think these ones are far more clear about what is a medium and what is a heavy as well as more intuitive.

To add even more I would add two radar nodes to the sensor SKILL TREE, no node only mech positions, 1 node radar shows weight classes, 2 nodes radar shows weight and facing direction.

This would be a nice thing so we are unlikely to get it Posted Image

LOVE that graphic! Super easy to visualize.

#24 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:00 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 11 October 2018 - 03:48 AM, said:

Because some mentioned WoT - there tanks "blend" into the terrain and are not longer visible. So the same as ECM? Not really... because when you can see the tank its visible for all other team mates. Where as a Atlas under ECM might be visible for you and only you, with VOIP you might warn your team mates.... but without a useable map you can't even call coordinates.... maybe something like "Atlas in Echo-Foxtrot Three Four" -
not half as precise as the 3 button press chat Information before ECM t+C+Enter

My point was that the map in WoT can show fktons of information and so could MWOs and still be very very readable. As for how MWO mechanics come into play is up to PGI and was not in my comment. But since it depends on PGI, you can all discuss it to the world's end, it will not matter at all unless someone else picks up the game and reads through the forum in order to make a better game.

#25 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:54 AM

Why can't we have both?

Simple solution:

Posted Image

Shows both Direction, and Magnitude! :D

Edited by Vellron2005, 12 October 2018 - 12:55 AM.

#26 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

You will never be able to tell what your teammates are up to in QP Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users