What To Do ?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Zebbi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

This is not a bash on quick play, just curious as to which path you would take, and i should take.

The Scenario,
it s QP match, 60 secs in, your team is already getting flanked, your in an assault, the other 3 assaults ran backwards at the first sight of the enemy and are now hiding behind a rock 200 m away.

The ground and pound is coming, the entire enemy team is flanking, assaults leading the way. You are positioned between your soon to be slaughtered lights and mediums, and the rock and hiding assaults.

Do you,

A. run forwards towards your team, push to the front and die in seconds as 12 enemy mechs focus you, feel better about yourself, but get no credits, match score or exp.

B.Run behind the rock with the other assaults and callously farm 500 damage with lrms/atm/laser etc, while your team dies a sad and forlorn death, but you get credit's match score and feel better about the match, maybe.

C Refuse the difficult ethical choice and remain on the spot and just turn to fire as you can at the enemy, You might get some cred and exp and match score, but prob not a lot.

I see some variation of the above a lot, certainly no every qp match bu certainly a large
minority.

What would you do?

Edited by Zebbi, 10 October 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#2 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

Shoot the hostage.

#3 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

View PostMaddermax, on 10 October 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

Shoot the hostage.

this isint counter strike bud

#4 sharknoise

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

What about D? Click “need assistance“ 20 times instead of shooting or moving and then rage in chat to ensure that no kind of useful communication is possible until the end of the match.

#5 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:17 PM

A.

At least, the match will be over quickly, and you can get another one in hopes of getting a better team. Meanwhile, you can scan TS servers for your friends in order to set up a group for CW.

#6 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:01 AM

pug q, C. Pug matches don't matter

Group Q, A. Tell your unit over TS and yell in voip to ATTACK!! Start the brawl to end all brawls. Srm lbx and mechs parts everywhere! Very few would survive. It would glorious!

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 October 2018 - 12:06 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:21 AM

Tell your lights/mediums to distract the enemy's attention while you find a nice flanking cover to hide behind and wait for the enemy to focus on either the lights/mediums or the Assaults that are in the back and unload once the opponents present their weaker side. Always try to maximize your damage and score in SQ, cause that's how you get better at survival.

#8 Obiwayne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany, Cologne

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:24 AM

Avoid getting outflanked and if not possible die with honor

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,101 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:41 AM

a good assault pilot should forsee this (it happens far too often in qp) and plan around it, thus never getting into a position where you have to make that choice. you can start in the mechlab by using a bigger engine, the skill tree by buffing agility. then you can not be afk when the match starts. then you use your map knowlege and the knowlege that nascar happens most of the time to plan out a course that keeps you with the team. i almost always nascar as an assault because if i dont and the team does, im dead. but if i do and the team doesnt, i can always rejoin or continue to flank. nothing ruins your day by getting flanked by an assault you didnt know was there. ive taken out 3 or 4 enemies because i got behind them and did back shots with assault firepower and it took them an enterity to see i was there. that brings me to another thing, stay low until you are ready to engage. assaults are all about positioning so if you can conceal your location for as long as you can, it will give you the time you need for optimal positioning. especially if your team has already written you off (of course in this case i usually have resorted to B because there is no team).

#10 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

A variation of C. Find cover in a forward position, preferably in a spot that means lines for your assaults in the back when the enemy pushes at you. Faster mechs can fade and evade, their survival is not on you. Pop a UAV when their deathball is in brawling range.

#11 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostZebbi, on 10 October 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

C Refuse the difficult ethical choice and remain on the spot and just turn to fire as you can at the enemy, You might get some cred and exp and match score, but prob not a lot.

This, except I pop a UAV and start waddling backwards in full-reverse at the same time. You'd be surprised how often that can save you, full-reverse and just keep firing till you either reach cover or get taken out. Most players don't like walking towards an assault that's facing them, even when they're 10-2 up. And if they do rush me, well that UAV will hopefully get me a few assists.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

Option B. Everyone has a responsibility to make their mechs live as long as possible. Games have a 15 minute timer. If you spend a few minutes trying to out trade the enemy at range, your push will go better. If you lights and mediums suicide into the enemy in the first 2 minutes then that's their fault. Too often everyone is in a rush to get into the fight, when playing it smarter and slower is what wins.

#13 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

Anytime anyone asks you to push ask them if they see an advantage in doing so or of they want to push just for the sake of it/impatience.

Most are silent after that, and it usually means they are probably being impatient.

#14 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

The Scenario,
it s QP match, 60 secs in, your team is already getting flanked, your in an assault, the other 3 assaults ran backwards at the first sight of the enemy and are now hiding behind a rock 200 m away.

What would you do?

If 3 out of 4 Assaults have already ran off to hide one MINUTE into the match, match is already lost.

So many are afraid to PvP in a PvP game.

I would group up the the rest of your side, your not on a Team in QP, and fight them and wait for the inevitable 3-12 loss and gg.

Then when your fed up with seeing this over and over, join a team and play CW.

#15 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

Fall back to the nearest cover and make them work for the kill. They're gonna get me. But they're gonna know they were in a fight.

Last night on mining collective we were down 3 almost right away. Our team was all milling around the ramp to get up on the center part. I got fed up because it was a traffic jam that would surely make Patton roll over in his grave. So I pulled back and created some damn space. Somehow we're down six and they're not rushing us. I manage to down two enemies because they thought they were Rambo. I down one more mech with half my weapons missing before being destroyed. Then a Hunchback IIC murders the crap out of the rest of the enemy team. The morale of the story is...Hunchback IICs are OP. NERFFTROLOLOL ;p

No, no, the point is you do what is going to maximize damage on the enemy. Maybe your team pulls it together, maybe they're dead. But you do the best you can with what you have. And what you have is John Doe Rando.

Edited by MechaBattler, 11 October 2018 - 10:21 AM.

#16 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

You do what you always do:
  • Try to win damage trades.
  • Try to hit damaged mechs with damaged components.
  • Call out any target that presents itself to your teammates and encourage focus fire.
  • Use a strike to delay the enemy advance and hopefully soften them up.
  • Be clear and concise on coms and don't berate your teammates.
  • Shoot down any enemy UAVs.
  • Cry for mommy.
  • Change your diaper.
  • Go on forums to complain.
Etcetera...

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostPurplePuke, on 11 October 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

You do what you always do:
  • Try to win damage trades.
  • Try to hit damaged mechs with damaged components.
  • Call out any target that presents itself to your teammates and encourage focus fire.
  • Use a strike to delay the enemy advance and hopefully soften them up.
  • Be clear and concise on coms and don't berate your teammates.
  • Shoot down any enemy UAVs.
  • Cry for mommy.
  • Change your diaper.
  • Go on forums to complain.
Etcetera...

• Replenish your electrolytes.

#18 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Depends on your mech setup.

A. would work if you had a fast mech capable of getting to the front quickly

B. is only viable if you can make it to your hiding spot, therefore a faster mech is required.

C. is the only response fatties have since they don't have the speed required to retreat then refocus their guns.

Since i'm 90% assault mechs, I tend to go for C since the most viable way to help a team when your left 3 sheets into the wind is to try and do any amount of damage you can manage.

#19 TheMundaneYesYes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

I RARELY play assaults but the few times that I have it ends with the team pulling back or suddenly deciding to hide mid push and me saying something along the lines of "Oh well. **** it!" and "charging" into strangling range of the closest enemy. Last time I got something like 286 and two KMDD but not actual kills, that was okay seeing as I was in the fight for less then half a minute.

Edited by Number767, 11 October 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#20 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 892 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

This is not a bash on quick play, just curious as to which path you would take, and i should take.

The Scenario,

The ground and pound is coming, the entire enemy team is flanking, assaults leading the way. You are positioned between your soon to be slaughtered lights and mediums, and the rock and hiding assaults.

Do you,

A. run forwards towards your team, push to the front and die in seconds as 12 enemy mechs focus you, feel better about yourself, but get no credits, match score or exp.

B.Run behind the rock with the other assaults and callously farm 500 damage with lrms/atm/laser etc, while your team dies a sad and forlorn death, but you get credit's match score and feel better about the match, maybe.

I see some variation of the above a lot, certainly no every qp match bu certainly a large
minority.

What would you do?

Of those options, B.

The match isn't over until it's over; running frivolously into the enemy quickens the end but also resigns your mech. Although rare, I've seen unexpected turn-arounds, blunders, last-stands, etc.. I would never intentionally resign my mech (though I have been known to blunder quite frequently).

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users