- - - - -

Crazy Warping With 30 Ping

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bivoca

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

what is up with that? I noticed that i warp like crazy, specially when at lower ping. I just left a match where i was playing a runner with 25 ms ping, but couldnt move (kept warping (teleporting) and coliding with buildings). What is with this? Is there a way to reduce this by tweaking some parameters in my pc?

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

View PostBivoca, on 22 October 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

what is up with that? I noticed that i warp like crazy, specially when at lower ping. I just left a match where i was playing a runner with 25 ms ping, but couldnt move (kept warping (teleporting) and coliding with buildings). What is with this? Is there a way to reduce this by tweaking some parameters in my pc?

Couple of things could be in effect here:
1. Unstable ping: Your ping/latency is not stable and is spiking at times, creating the appearance of warping. This can be caused by many things, most commonly by background downloads, multiple people using the same connection, lack of bandwidth or... someone else on your network downloading something. Most common of these is someone watching an online video while you are playing, or them patching another game while you play.
2. Frame Rate fluctuation: Your frame rate (screen refresh rate) may be dropping low. This can be affected by background applications on your device, as well as possible low performing hardware or overall low performance within the game. A sudden processing shutter/studder can create a teleportation like effect on yourself. (I often times get this when the drop ships are moving in the start of some matches on some maps. A single tap turning my mech can leave my mech turned 180 degrees around (or more) sometimes when this happens.)

Which is your specific problem (if it is one of the two even), I can't say without more information.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:07 PM

Been there, done that. Last time I had that, there was a de-sync between my end and the server, so the two could never agree as to where I should be.

The quickest and fastest resolution is to close the game, reopen the game, reconnect to the match.

Same is true if they warp/run in place (and you're still hooked up and the service is still on, which you'll know because they still shoot and the like despite this).

Here's two samples.

This can be you warping, or them. First video it's just them (My client is receiving some information but I can't send most information, and I'm not receiving all information.) Second video is me and them (this isn't a full desync, but one in the works where the client and server are communicating but there's an issue and they disagree.)

Now there's one more variation, here, just call it rubber banding. You keep warping back to the same spot because you found something where the client says "Yes you can do this" and the server says "No you can't!"

This is very location-specific, and is solved by backing away from it and finding another path.

---------

The game has a "Host state rewind" and runs on a "server authority" which checks positions against the server and 'corrects' as well as allow the clients to anticipate based on what the server knows. The prior is intended to compensate for the lag of the latter, and the latter is to prevent cheating like flying mechs and one-spot-kill sprees across the map.

The thing is the anticipation and reality don't always blend, and while this is hardly ever noticed if there's a desync of any sort, it becomes noticeable. If there's a serious desync... the client and the server will "argue" as I call it. I mean they literally have a fight over what should be going on and you'll alternate between the two as the server keeps overriding what the client thinks should be versus where the server authority states you must be..with it continuing to worsen as you get further and further out of sync.

Again the fastest solution is a reconnect.

Edited by Koniving, 22 October 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

(Game without the HSR/lag compensation and just the server authority Notice how far off past the enemy's right side I have to fire just to hit him on the left torso and arm, as that's how far ahead the enemy really is on the server versus what I see; and where he is on his client is probably ahead of that, too.) In case if anyone wonders why the evil is necessary.

Edited by Koniving, 22 October 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#5 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:30 AM

I used to have this issue, big time. The root cause was packet loss. Even despite seemingly stable ping, data packets would get lost between me and the MWO servers, and vice versa, so when the data would finally get through, things I saw would not necessarily correlate with what the server was seeing, and would update on my end as warping. Sadly, most of the time it's a problem between your computer and the destination server, and not necessarily is a hardware issue on either yours or PGI's end.

For example, for a while it was routing me through New York, and was getting significant packet loss at that junction, yet data transmission was smooth on either end. You'd need to get your internet connection to use an alternative route to bypass the trouble spot, or possibly reach out to your ISP to have the issue resolved at that location. Unfortunately, it isn't something PGI can help you with since it isn't a hardware issue on their end, either.

View PostKoniving, on 22 October 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

(Game without the HSR/lag compensation and just the server authority Notice how far off past the enemy's right side I have to fire just to hit him on the left torso and arm, as that's how far ahead the enemy really is on the server versus what I see; and where he is on his client is probably ahead of that, too.) In case if anyone wonders why the evil is necessary.

Hilariously, it did much to keep TTK high, though. XD Lag shooting was a pain, however....

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 23 October 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

I had that today in a match. Not so much me, but an enemy Jenner was kinda jumping back and forth. And I later saw that happen with one of our Piranha's, when I was spectating.

Not sure whether that was me or them. First time I have seen that.

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

If I play on my Lab top, Augh. 30 ping or so, but less than 10 fps and sometimes I get a few seconds of no update packets. Hell sometimes it is so bad that I can not even walk where I want to. Just tap the mouse and off running in a random direction.

#8 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

You're not the only one. I've had that today in a match, rubberbanding both the enemies and myself, with mere 80 ping!

#9 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users