• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 October 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

A.) Major overhaul including, at the very least, an engine change

What would you be expecting to happen to engines?

#42 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 23 October 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

HBS will also probably release more details on BattleTech DLC.

only thing HBS can do, to make me smile is announce they're introducing the Marauder, and War Hammer.

Those I will buy.

As to O.P topic.

I don't honestly care..

Though I suspect there will be no 'big thing' about M.W.O. and more about M.W.5

which I probably will get, unless it looks really terrible, as it will have a War Hammer in it, and any game of this Franchise set in 3025 needs one as mandatory, if it's to retain any credibility .

#43 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,975 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

what e-mail?

also they said nothing about a big announcement during the last pod cast??

anyways if someone was to ask me what would be a good announcement for MWO

I would say Battle Armor

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Battle_Armor

for 4 v 4 and solaris

I don't expect MW5 to come out before April 2019 IMHO

#44 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 25 October 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

I don't expect MW5 to come out before April 2019 IMHO

Personally speaking, I'd rather a game be released late but be better, than be rushed out. If it takes them a little longer than anticipated to release the game, I don't really think it's a bad thing.

#45 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostTesunie, on 25 October 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

What would you be expecting to happen to engines?

Game engine...

...though I certainly won't balk at them building in some durability to the IS XLs or heat capacity to IS/Clan STDs, either.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 October 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Game engine...

...though I certainly won't balk at them building in some durability to the IS XLs or heat capacity to IS/Clan STDs, either.

Ah... Yeah. A different/better game engine would be great.

SHS did get a buff to their heat capacity/thresholds... Posted Image

#47 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:20 PM

View PostTesunie, on 25 October 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

SHS did get a buff to their heat capacity/thresholds... Posted Image

That has nothing to do with the STD engine or its deficiencies.

In fact, to make use of SHS advantages at all you have to run an LFE or XL to get the weight needed.

#48 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 October 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

That has nothing to do with the STD engine or its deficiencies.

In fact, to make use of SHS advantages at all you have to run an LFE or XL to get the weight needed.

I'm starting to think I'm getting confused about what you are talking about with heat thresholds. Are you saying you want a Std engine to have a better heat threshold?

#49 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

If they introduced Crosstech, it would wipe out the years of quirk tinkering they have done. I'm all for it because... man, I feel like it would be a lot easier than jumping through a million hoops and creating all these weird exceptions to rules just to make things work "correctly." Also, I think it would be fun for gameplay to have such a huge switch up.

Why does MWO hold on to this visage of lore when they have decided to screw over lore sideways the other 99% of the time? I feel like it has, more or less, been detrimental to the game. If a rule is bad, don't follow it. That's what they've done all over the place for clans and quirks a la:

2012-2017 "Pulse Lasers will do more damage, for more heat, lower duration, less range, and more tonnage"
2018 "Except clan medium pulse lasers, **** em."

2012-2014 "Laser max range is 2x ideal range"
2015+ "Except Clan LPL, **** em."

2012-2017 "Every weapon gets a cooldown module except AC-2 and UAC-2"
2017+ "Honestly nobody will even remembers we did that."

2014-2016 "Clan UAC-10s are fine"
2016 " Clan UAC-10s are not fine on one mech. Time to nerf them across the board."

Hell, ghost heat and quirks are basically made up exceptions to the rule because balance is broken without spot corrections. I'm not wholly against quirks, for instance the dragon 1n can chainsaw away with its dual ac-5 or uac-5. That makes it a little more special for that one thing than picking what in every other way is a superior mech like a Warhammer. You could argue it's like having different weapons manufacturers. Not all the chassis and designs in BT translate practically into MWO in a sort of paper to practice sense, but when the meta revolves around whatever over-quirked mech of the quarter, I think the system should be looked at. Ghost heat is so ingrained that we don't think about it, but when I came back after beta, I was astonished by such an arbitrary implementation.

I mean think about it, "Ok, so the HBK has 9 energy hardpoints, right?"
"Yup"
"And there are 9 free tons."
"Yup"
"So if I put 9 medium lasers in the hardpoints, then I can shoot 9 lasers."
"Makes sense to me"
"Then shoot the 9 lasers."
"You'll get ghost heat."

But if you put 6 medium lasers with large or large pulse lasers... that's fine... because.. uh. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... heat.... fairy. yes.

Not to mention, QP and FP are basically 2 different games. When something is a problem in one but not the other, it adversely effects the non-target mode. Stuff will get nerfed into the ground because it dominates FP even though a huge percentage of players don't care. To them, some ok mech just became extra mediocre. Tell me, if every 12 man started running Dragon 1Ns with dual UAC-5s and obliterated everyone for a few weeks in FP, would the Dragon-1N be the best thing ever in QP? No, but it would get nerfed across the board either way.

Edited by Moldur, 25 October 2018 - 09:16 PM.

#50 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:49 PM

View PostTesunie, on 25 October 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

I'm starting to think I'm getting confused about what you are talking about with heat thresholds. Are you saying you want a Std engine to have a better heat threshold?

Did I say not capacity? Capacity means capacity...not dissipation.

#51 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 October 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

Did I say not capacity? Capacity means capacity...not dissipation.

Capacity, as in heat threshold, as in the max cap you have of heat your mech can produce/store before shutting down (or/and overriding and dealing damage to internals)?

As stated, I'm confused about what you are referring to now. Engines don't currently effect "capacity", unless you were talking about "crit slot capacity"... Which wouldn't align with what you said previously (unless it was a mistype).

For the record, what you said:
"heat capacity to IS/Clan STDs, either."

Originally, I took this to mean "Std (heat sinks)". Now I understand it to mean Std engines (I presume).

Engines do not effect heat capacity in any form, no matter what type they are. That's all related to heat sink types.

So, once again, I'm confused about what you are referring to here, as I was talking about capacity, in the form of heat threshold, which is the max heat you can have before shutdown/override/heat-damage. Are you suggesting a change to how engines influence heat threshold levels?

Just to make the record clear:
Heat Thresold: Maximum level of heat a mech can hold. A heat cap.
Heat Dissipation: The amount of heat a mech bleeds away and cools in a given period of time. Rate of cooling.

EDIT: Are you referring to the amount of internal heat sinks a std engine can hold as your form of "capacity"? As I said, I'm confused as to what you are referring to here now.

Edited by Tesunie, 26 October 2018 - 08:40 AM.

#52 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

I expect it to be all about mw5 and maybe a new in-house mech or something for mwo. Don't expect any further big investments in mwo, at least not unless they decide to switch engines and I suspect they need a successful mw5 first. I hope I'm wrong and we're getting some great news.

I also expect repackaging of already announced plans, like the planned FP matchmaker, as if it was major news and with some hyped label.

#53 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

Russ is going to unblock everyone on Twitter.

#54 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:31 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 October 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

MWO was profitable for 5+ years. That's no failure, it had tens of thousands of active players for an extended period and still has many thousands of active players and many of them still spend money. That's no failure. MWO has been a very successful game. Not a AAA blockbuster title but a lot of games on the front page of Steam won't still be played 5 or 6 years later.

No, MWO has been a success in a lot of ways. Unless PGI has another title that's going to continue to bring in money (I'm not sure the model of MW5 will do so in the same fashion but I don't know what the embedded expenses of MWO are) there's reasonable odds of a new MWO style title.

What is success in a video game? Eve? Or, others that have been around for decades?

PGI has a real problem though: it's a super small niche market that relies on the previous MW titles and most importantly, the older players that played them..... We are getting a bit older now and we're losing some of us to age and death.....

We're losing more than we can recruit. The FPS market is saturated with "other MW type" games and themes.....there are a few more in-development as well. If PGI were smart, MW5 would be a world class event and game.......if not.......well, I fear the IP of the MW universe will slip into total obscurity except for BT. Maybe, HBS will buy what's left?

There's always hope for that if this all comes to pass.......

#55 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:41 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 October 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

If the new 'Mech isn't an IS OmniMech, then it is completely dead to me.

Otherwise, the only things that could get me excited about MWO are:

A.) Major overhaul including, at the very least, an engine change
B.) New guns and such.

B could also get my excited.A is too unlikely

View PostStone Wall, on 26 October 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

Russ is going to unblock everyone on Twitter.

Too much work ;) haha

Edited by Bush Hopper, 27 October 2018 - 05:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users