The Consistently Good Kfx-C

7 replies to this topic

#1 Arkama

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

Today I'd like to talk about the light mech that stole my heart... And everyone's kills. The Fighting Fox.

By swapping out the KFX-C's side torsos for the S variant's side torsos, you can create a mech that excels at supporting brawls and pushes. Three Heavy Medium Lasers and four Clan Machine Guns(with three tons of ammo) are backed up with ECM and triple AMS(two tons of ammo) creating a mech that can protect it's brawling buddies while being able to dish out just as much hurt.

The Kit Fox has a secret Quirk that lets it get away with a lot more than it should... And that's the fact that it is a Kit Fox. The most innocuous of light mechs. It's widely seen as the "support" mech, simply there to mask other mechs from missiles and run away from fights. The Fighting Fox turns that idea on it's head by jumping knee deep in the fights using it's friendlies to draw aggro while it finishes their job with pin point thirty point alphas and machine gun fire.

Anyone else use the Kit Fox's secret Quirk to their advantage? Anyone use a similar build? I'd like to hear about it.

#2 Subhntr

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:06 AM

I absolutely love mine for support and finishing targets. I run 3x MPulse, 1 Laser and 2 standard AMS, and a little less MG ammo than you, and everything you have said is what I have experienced as well.

...which is also the reason why I gun for red Kit Foxes if I see them. ;)

#3 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:32 AM

That's a good kitfox. In the old days when there were no heavy lasers I'd run the same but ERML.

If you can get your hands on the purifier though, you might like using 4x MPL on those shoulders ;)

You always have to remember that your shoulders are very vulnerable, exposed too long, and they are gone. Brawler foxes don't seem a good idea to me. Though, the 7 small pulse laser fox was quite a thing long ago.

Currently I'm exploring the opportunity to bring an ATM in. In optimal range the damage output is magnificent. An LRM is interesting too because you could hide behind your buddy, and cover them with AMS and ECM, while using their line of fire targets to hit things.

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:25 AM

Love some fat lights.

I run mine with 5 er ml's and triple AMS ECM, or 6 er ml's and ECM.

MG's always get me into to trouble, Kitfox isn't fast enough for them IMO.

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

This config or this config are my go-to support Foxes. They're the same 'Mech; I just switch off between configs. I normally use the MPL variant because of the face-time issue with HML, but if I'm getting ignored a lot I'll run that instead for the damage. I use the Prime CT, but they all have the same CT quirks so it doesn't matter. I lean towards more AMS ammo rather than more MG, because when I'm running the "LRMbrella" I try to hang back more until pretty late in the game, so the AMS ammo goes much faster than the MG does.

It's still had some great push-and-squirrel moments when the enemy team was light on LRMs and ATMs, though. Triple AMS is one of the few light configs that can actually throw down with streakboats, which is always a fun time when it happens. They come at you expecting an easy instagib, delayed by the ECM, then a goodly chunk of their missiles go poof and they can't ever quite figure out why they're the one with a cored CT. And then there are the heavies who take one look at your arm, think "oh, it's just a support Fox," and let you chew up their back armor while they chase someone else. Posted Image

I also have a Purifier and a KFX-G(L), but neither of those is carrying a C RA right now.

#6 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

Shh

#7 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

I also used to play a kitfox with 5x machine gun, small pulse and a ppc. It holds my kitfox record of 1100 damage and 7 kills. Just missed ace there :)

#8 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:16 AM

At fist I completely overlooked the mech. Mainly because players more experienced than me had little good to say about it.
After a while I gave the chassis a chance and it has grown on me. Especially with the injection of the -PR and the -G the little bugger has gotten an upgrade.
I don't think the Kit Fox is a mech that can do well on its own. It's not fast enough to squirrel and not tough enough to stand and fight. But it tends to get overlooked when more scary targets are around. Posted Image

I own and pilot these 4 KFXs:
  • Sniper support (500m+): KFX-S; 2 PPC (set-of-8: energy heat -10%) call it crazy... because it is. Oddly enough it works, especially in faction play on long range maps where it has time and space to rack up the damage.
  • Fireline support (300-500m): KFX-C; LB5 + 3 ERML + ECM (set-of-8: energy cooldown/range/heat 10%!) plus you can crit open components at range. Posted Image
  • AMS support (300-400m): PURIFIER; 4 ERML + 3 AMS + ECM Purifier side torsos are great for peeking. Not everybody likes to jump a pay wall, though.
  • Brawl support: (0-150m): KFX-G; 6 SRM6 A "It's just a Kit Fox... wait, why am I missing half my mech?"-build. With +20 armor on the arms you can even shield. You just have to get used to ride that heat scale. Posted Image

Edited by Brethren, 16 November 2018 - 05:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users