3 replies to this topic

#1 Sea Knight

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

TL;DR- is it possible to do training with a (small) group of friends?

Did the google search. Did the search on here. All I can find is old answers that don't appear to apply anymore.

A couple of friends want to play MWO but have never played before. I am interested in taking them into some training to give them some live pointers. I would rather do this with just us rather than screwing up a quick play/faction game for the more experienced players. (I would also like to avoid the typical derogatory comments by some of the more... calloused players at their obvious lack of skill. I would rather not scare them away before they even begin.)
I am also concerned, as a Tier 3 player, of bringing them into Tier 3 games. That wouldn't be fun for anybody.

Is that possible anymore?
If so: how?

I have seen old threads saying yes, no, maybe. One, two, all need premium time.
I can't find a way to do it in the UI, but I do have to admit I let my premium time lapse a little while ago. And I don't want my friends buying premium time to only find out that it doesn't afford us a private training opportunity or that they don't like the game after all.

Edited by Sea Knight, 08 November 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:14 AM

You can do custom lobbies with any number of players. Just form a group, you can create a lobby, set teams, and do a practice drop. We do custom matches all the time for practice for 6v6 or 8v8 comp games.

#3 Sea Knight

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 08 November 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

You can do custom lobbies with any number of players. Just form a group, you can create a lobby, set teams, and do a practice drop. We do custom matches all the time for practice for 6v6 or 8v8 comp games.

Awesome! There it is. Sorry to waste your time by missing it. When in doubt, RTFM. Thank you.

#4 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 08 November 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

Just want to add - I think you need to un-check the box "Require Full Team?" or similar, otherwise you won't be able to drop with less than 24 people.

View PostSea Knight, on 08 November 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

Awesome! There it is. Sorry to waste your time by missing it. When in doubt, RTFM. Thank you.

To be fair, there isn't really manual to MWO, so you did right. Also worth noting - you definitely USED to need PT for less than 12v12 in a private lobby, but that is thankfully no longer the case!

One final thing:

View PostSea Knight, on 08 November 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

I am also concerned, as a Tier 3 player, of bringing them into Tier 3 games. That wouldn't be fun for anybody.

Tiers mean next to nothing in group queue, so you have as much of a chance ending up in a Tier 1 game as a Tier 3 game, and even T3 would be a challenge for beginners--so very good call on looking for alternatives.

Also want to note, If you have a group of 4, you can split into two teams and do 2v2 Solaris to get Cbills. The queues are mostly empty, so with good TS/Discord chat coordination, you can end up facing each other most of the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users