For The Light! - Lightray Support Thread (New Mech Art!)

BattleMechs

125 replies to this topic

#121 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

Due to the small frontal profile I think the Lightray could do what the BJ hero wanted to do and be a medium MG boat and if the HPs are lined up right it could do light dakka support as well. I'm thinking it could do 8 to 10 mgs with a pair of mpls & and xl385, it fits in remlab.

Another variant idea is the x4 srm6, x2 spl & xl330 with MASC but it'd be a little toasty.

#122 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:13 PM

An idea for who or where the hero comes from, I think the WoB 4th division would be an excellent choice as the majority of FCCW era Lightrays were assigned to them.
http://www.sarna.net..._(Word_of_Blake)

They have a few cool names that could be fuel for the hero's name. "Gatekeeper" for the "Keepers of the Gate" for example.

They're a WoB militia unit so their camo would look something like this.
https://unitcolorcom...-and-divisions/

Of course any WoB unit could work so there's lots of choices.

Edited by TheArisen, 18 February 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#123 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:48 PM

Something interesting that we can see by looking at the mini is how while the LRay has a "nose" it's not crazy long so it provides the frontal profile benefit while at the same time not being such a liability for flanking shots.
Posted Image

#124 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

Do you guys think the energy boat Dervish has killed the Lightray? Sure it doesn't have the same engine cap but it has plenty of cap.

#125 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 13 March 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

Do you guys think the energy boat Dervish has killed the Lightray? Sure it doesn't have the same engine cap but it has plenty of cap.

I don't think so. The selling point of the Lightray is the geometry. Also, only one of its hardpoints is located in the arm; the vast majority is mounted in the torso. That is an advantage, and having all the energy hardpoints in the arm like the Dervish is hardly ideal. It can work, properly quirked, but as far as the basic design is concerned, it is just a disadvantage.

Lastly, yeah, there might be some redundancy. The class of the IS medium Mechs is just too well saturated. The Dervish itself is basically a powercreepy 55t IS missile boat.

#126 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

seeing as how we already have the griffin, kintaro, wolverine, and bushwacker, i'm going to say that PGI probably isn't too concerned about a bit of redundancy when considering new mechs. i still think we're unlikely to see the lightray any time soon (if ever) since it seems they're focusing on mechs that can also be used for MW5.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users