Achievements

13 replies to this topic

#1 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

To enjoy the fact that PGI rebranded MWO to Solaris 7 and it tanked horribly, just as predicted by the players (the ones living on the island, shooting at missionaries telling us to buy a mechpak)?

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

I'd rather keep on just forgetting it even exists and hoping for IS OmniMechs instead Posted Image

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

Can we all just come together and focus all our hate and vitriol at a company that's trying to sell MechPack pre-orders by making vague promises about future benefits that may be announced at a later date and who's nature cannot be disclosed until after the pre-order time frame?

Edited by Bombast, 25 November 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#4 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

Solaris was mildly entertaining for the first half of the first season where it was populated

The new "seeding" nonsense where you can get a boosted Elo bonus for your first 10 games is utterly broke and basically killed the leaderboard aspect of it imo

Edited by Ghogiel, 25 November 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

I tried one match in Solaris. I used a trial Bushwacker. My opponent was a Battlemaster. I fired my MRMs and MLs a couple of times before one shot blew off my arm and the next two shots killed me. I thought to myself that if a long-used game mode like QP struggles to create properly balanced teams, why would this new one be any different?

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

At least in QP, you can blame your team.

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostNightbird, on 25 November 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

At least in QP, you can blame your team.

Posted Image True, true. So, I shall blame you for my loss in Solaris. Take that, my formidable friend.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,978 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

View PostToothless, on 25 November 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

To enjoy the fact that PGI rebranded MWO to Solaris 7 and it tanked horribly, just as predicted by the players (the ones living on the island, shooting at missionaries telling us to buy a mechpak)?

(the ones living on the island, shooting at missionaries telling us to buy a mechpak)?

the last part I am not sure I get that

also I don't remember anyone saying Solaris 7 was going to flop
all the try hard's wanted Solaris 7

only the lowly pugs knew they would not play there input is not wanted

#10 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:57 PM

Solaris was something drastic that the game needed. The implementation of it wasn't what was expected, and that was the issue.

People were expecting MW4 style FFA. (I mean, that should have been a given right? What's the most popular games right now? Fortnight? PUBG? What do they all have in common? The fact that this needed to be said... sigh...) Maybe some 1v1s or 2v2s. They also didn't think hard enough to incorporate an integration with QP, thus causing the game to fracture into 3 populations, and angering everyone. The map is also extremely biased toward just aiming better without any hide and seek or kiting.

Also, map voting is so dumb. You can strategically single focused on one build. Thus, there's meta where 3 or 4 mechs are viable because they don't have to prep for anything else. What end up is that all the matches are done on the neutral maps like Arena and you barely see any diversity in builds or battleground. Which of course, people were expecting an array of various mech builds on highly variable terrains.

Basically, it's a idea that most people wanted, but trashed after a half @ss job.

#11 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:08 AM

PGI acquired an incredibility valuable IP niche market and looked to ell the story of ideologies fighting for supremacy....

I suspect, like Star Citizen, PGI expected to "grow into" the game....... I guess, they seriously miscalculated the amount of work creating Universe level economies and Armies takes to work..... So, after a few years of excuses, they had to change the narrative and de-evolve the game down to a FPS............completely expecting the customers to jump in and be number one on the leader board !!! Of course,Solaris is a bust because the "expert players" are experts on teams and all alone, well...........I guess, they just didn't like being alone.....

So,here we are, and the future of MW is the past.........A single player game.... Some innovation they've displayed.

#12 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:01 AM

View PostToothless, on 25 November 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Since PGI makes and runs the game we all play and love, why should we rejoice at their failure?

Also, please understand that it is not so much PGI's failure, but OURS.. What they created would work fine if there were people to play it..

Alas, it didn't tank cose' the product was not good.. it tanked because it came too late, at a time when the bittervets have already done enough negative hype to make new players rare.

Solaris 7 wasn't a failure. It was a good attempt at reviving a meek and expiring MWO.

We might say that the state the game is in right now has been made back in closed beta.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:04 AM

Solaris would have done just fine... if they'd released it before making a total hash job of faction play. There's very little functionally wrong with Solaris, other than perhaps the lack of a feature allowing you to queue up for multiple divisions at the same time if you've got 'Mechs ready in each of them.

Solaris didn't have, for example, months at its inception where one team could just run straight past the other and win by O-gen kill without even bothering to fight the opposition or complete the secondary objectives (gate-jump rushes, anyone?)... Solaris also didn't have a whole season where, if your team was ahead based on the performance of other teams in other games, you could (basically) just drop a nuke on the OpFor and GGclothes an entire wave of 'Mechs in one hit. It never had a problem with forcing players to wait upwards of half an hour for matches that either didn't happen at all (ghost drops), or pitted a mismatched collection of amateurs against a top-ranked 12-man premade for a thoroughly depressing and seemingly endless seal clubbing. That was what FP delivered.

Solaris matches can go badly, yes, but they don't drag out for a quarter of an hour after the game's already been decided. If you lose, big deal, it's just a couple minutes- back to 'Mechlab. Since you're only facing one or two enemies, it's pretty easy to break down what the enemy did that worked, and what you might be able to do to counter it in the future. While there are clearly some 'Mechs that have an advantage over others, there's a pretty good variety of builds and variants that work well enough so a competent player can outfight a meta build with better tactics and positioning. The map voting works much better than in QP, allowing players to basically never land on whichever map is the worst for their build or playstyle, even if they're not always able to land the map they're optimized for.

By any objective measure, Solaris is a more accessible, more functional, and more consistent game mode than FP was through the first several years of misfired attempts to iron out its many, many wrinkles. Solaris worked on day one of its release, gave both opponents a roughly equal chance of success (decided by skill and build, not by poorly balanced maps, poorly implemented win conditions, or the performance of other players in other matches), and delivered exactly what was described before it launched. If you want to play it, even with the population in the toilet like it is, you only need to find one other player to make it work. Low population doesn't just flat-out shut the whole game mode down.

I'm not disappointed in Solaris at all. I thought I would be, but it's a set of extra options with very little impact on the rest of the game, so I'm good with it. If I feel like dropping in a favorite 'Mech, but don't want to deal with whatever teammates the PUG lottery gives me, it's a fun way to get a quick fix. If there's no one on, I can bug a friend to come play and have an instant game, without the drama of scaring up enough bodies to repopulate the late-night group queue. I don't get the hate. If anything, Solaris should've happened a year or two sooner, instead of all the futile attempts to revive FP.

#14 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:45 AM

[mod]Due to unconstructive topic, this thread has been moved Kaetetôã.[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users