41 replies to this topic

#21 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:20 AM

Well done on the story.

Lots of examples of losttech showing up unexpectedly. And a good reason why entire merc companies would be chasing this mech.

#22 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:33 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 December 2018 - 12:50 AM, said:

So stop throwing your internet assembled links at me as if I never heart of sarna; I know the lore and I read the actual canonical sources.

And yet you still whine when a new canonical source comes along to counter what was in some novel before ? Oh boo hoo hoo...the author of fictional history for a fictional game, set in a fictional universe, just changed the fiction...without your permission. First world problems....

Edited by Dee Eight, 02 December 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#23 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

Interstellar Expeditions = Comstar... details of this mech would not have been leaked out to the IS.

Sad thing is as a stock mech with Star League era equipment, due to there being no engine equivalency (isXL dies to loss of 1st side torso), this is such a waste.

#24 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 02 December 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

Interstellar Expeditions = Comstar... details of this mech would not have been leaked out to the IS.

Sad thing is as a stock mech with Star League era equipment, due to there being no engine equivalency (isXL dies to loss of 1st side torso), this is such a waste.

....implicating that ComStar did operate a Phoenix Hawk 1b or even 1c, which up to now was in doubt.

This is an example of a perfectly valid and sensible retcon. Considering a quarter of Hayes' forces (whose equipment would be used by the later ComGuard) consisted of Royal divisions, a royal variant of the Phoenix Hawk does make sense.

View PostDee Eight, on 02 December 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

And yet you still whine when a new canonical source comes along to counter what was in some novel before ? Oh boo hoo hoo...the author of fictional history for a fictional game, set in a fictional universe, just changed the fiction...without your permission. First world problems....

I am merely pointing out inconsistencies, as it's not like anything I quoted - which is more than "some novel" - has been "countered". It's not too much to ask for consistency. If you think that is too much to bear...
Well, first world problems indeed.Posted Image

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

My biggest issue with this....

Is the nomenclature makes no damn sense. These are old m echs slapped together out of parts. Frankenmechs. So why do they have a generation-faction nomenclature?

These should more literally have something more akin to the frankenmech nomenclature. That is...they didn't really have variants. Even if they do the designations shouldn't have generation numbers and faction letters. Even if they aren't faction letters...its still pretty off.

I mean Jim and George would fit better than going with official company produced faction designations like "4th edition general sale (4G) 7th generational model Steiner (7S)" etc.

Edited by Koniving, 02 December 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#26 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

Does this mean we will be able to buy lost Tech ? how does one refit or customize their mech in mech lab if not ? will lost tech be available for any mech ? or will there be new or other hard points that mount lost tech ?
Will there be a new class of mech that mounts lost tech {Pirate} ? IS-Clan-Pirate ???

#27 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:00 AM

Given the claim that the Ravager's Star League equipment came from a single 'Mech... wondering which Star League era 'Mech had a 285 XL engine, double heat sinks, a Gauss Rifle, Large Pulse Laser and UAC5. Nightstar closest match, but not the LPL and UAC5...

#28 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:17 AM

It has to be a Nightstar.

And, as you know, changing the engine type requires a class F refit, i.e. factory grade facilities. That means if the Ravager had a STD engine previously, someone took it to a factory which is capable of building Mechs and installed an XL (what factory in a pirate kingdom can do that?).
Or, being a FrankenMech, they just took the torso of the Nightstar and kept it. ...which certainly would not look like the Corsair at all.

What's more, it is implied that ComStar had a hand in taking down Kalmar. However, ComStar was the only operator of Nightstars in the IS in 3037. They could also do the massive refit. But then, the story does not read like Kalmar got his stuff from ComStar.
Of course, he could have found a SLDF facility (a massive and highly advanced one, it seems). But in that case, ComStar would not kill the man, they'd take him alive at all costs to learn the location of said facility.

Lot's of open questions...

#29 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

The lore for the Ravager is canon (now) for all we know.
Anything about the other "variants" is not. Imagine these as to be just made up to have the usual array of mechs in a mechpack.

As for the Ravagers parts, iirc the story has it that Kalmar got them from different pieces and places, so the engine would be the most odd piece the Ravager has. Nightstars did exist during Star League, and the Alacorn heavy tank has the same engine. Just imagine a heavily modified torso, so there was no changing of the fusion engine needed.

#30 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

I'm not seeing ComStar's role in hunting Kalmar, Interstellar Expeditions hunted down such things (and the Green Ghosts existed to stop them) and had a frigging Bug-Eye WarShip so not impossible their loyal mercs had a smattering of LosTech too.

Kalmar's very ComStar thanking of the JumpShip though...

#31 Anton Fetladral

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like the word of blake jihad might be in store for MWO.... there was that cockpit item...

#32 Bryson MacAefrik

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:41 AM

Where are the blueprints?! You guys usually post those too, but they seem to be missing from this one. But the mech is so beautifully ugly! I wanna see its ugly entirety!

#33 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 02 December 2018 - 01:35 AM, said:

Sry, but this is way to unrealistic, even for a fictional universe.

Just an example - how did they know what kind of ammunition a gauss rifle would need? How do they even know how the weapon works? The writers should have inserted the fictional e-magazine "Helm Memory Core Monthly" into the story, to explain such plotholes.

Dude, a Gauss Rifle is a magnetic catapult ballistic weapon. pretty much ANY ferrous Material can be fired out of one. whether it completely screws up the bore of the weapon is another matter. Ammo for gauss weapons was never a problem in Battletech. being able to make the rifle ITSELF is, given you need a knowledge (and supply) of superconductors and so on.

View PostC E Dwyer, on 02 December 2018 - 04:36 AM, said:

Sorry no..

If I want to play with and against something that looks like a chaos marine thing I'd play Warhammer 40K. you've even put skull camo on it that looks like a 40K rip

I get that you due to copyright and Licensing you need to make your own for Tee shirts and other out of game items, and for the rage over the roughneck I do apologies but this just completely insults the franchise I've supported, since it first washed up on U.K shores, buy turning it into something it's not supposed to be.

Whoever told you this was a good idea should shut up, and stop giving out bad idea,s at least make some attempt to make it look like it belongs in the universe, it's cost you money, and support.

It's quite clear that the custodians of the franchise, the so called fathers of the game, are playing fast and lose, by accepting things, that have no place to be there, for personal gain, and they should just stop. hand it over to people that actually give a damn.

I never thought I'd ever find myself saying this, but it's a shame Harmony Gold didn't kick, Catalyst, and this companies arses to hell and back, as they'll all abusing the game, far past anything that has a modicum of good taste.

Something that the arch parasites H.G have never done with Macros.

actually, HG has, given it's what they DID to Macross in the first place with Southern Cross.

#34 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 04 December 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Dude, a Gauss Rifle is a magnetic catapult ballistic weapon. pretty much ANY ferrous Material can be fired out of one. whether it completely screws up the bore of the weapon is another matter. Ammo for gauss weapons was never a problem in Battletech. being able to make the rifle ITSELF is, given you need a knowledge (and supply) of superconductors and so on.

Yes, I know, you know and everybody else knows. Because we read the respective novel, source book or webpage. But how do THEY know? I somewhat doubt that they could figure it out just by looking into the barrel of the gun.

#35 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 02 December 2018 - 04:36 AM, said:

Sorry no..

Whoever told you this was a good idea should shut up, and stop giving out bad idea,s at least make some attempt to make it look like it belongs in the universe, it's cost you money, and support.

We all know who come's up with these 'bright' ideas.

Yes the roughneck was a success and a triumph in mech art but then we also had the Marauder and centurion Looking pretty damn good early on. Hell even the Catapult is the best rigged and animated mech in game (ignoring floating shadows and the broken K2 ppc mounts).

This thing though from a Modelling point of view alone is brilliant (haven't seen it move yet, it'll probably skip like a direwolf and waddle like a bloodasp/kingcrab and have geometry clipping like the Timberwolf/vulture etc). Its easy to design half a mech and mirror it across a plane to have a nice symmetrical mech but this thing has unique limbs and parts everywhere and the little spike touches i really like.

You do have to suspend the Lore occasional y for a FICTIONAL franchise game that gave up being true to it pretty much from the offset.

Edited by mad kat, 05 December 2018 - 02:55 AM.

#36 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:50 AM

- I really like the design. Alex once again did a great job :)
- I also like the story very much.
- I'd like to buy a standard pack

however

in good conscience I can't give you any more money, PGI. at mechcon you slapped everybody in the face with "we got NOTHING planned for mwo in general, but here's ALSO NOT something that we're gonna do with faction warfare - cause probably we ain't, we can't, we don't care and we can't even be ar$ed to scribble up a 5sec note for a once a year presentation of our product"
basically sayin something like 'eff you' straight into everybody's face who was still sober at that point (my mistake, I know..).

so.. no money for that beauty of a mech, sadly.
my money goes to Catalyst and HBS in the forseeable future. -they- did not dissapoint.

#37 Daemonara

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:05 PM

Beautiful...

#38 AnHell86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 106 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:34 AM

I am only interested in the left arm - just like it should be on the Dragon...

#39 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:44 AM

Com Star would have hunted down those pirates. Taken their loss tech and killed everyone to keep spreading any informtion about it

#40 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:39 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 09 December 2018 - 02:44 AM, said:

Com Star would have hunted down those pirates. Taken their loss tech and killed everyone to keep spreading any informtion about it

EXCEPT.... the gray death helm memory core had already been spread around to all the great houses and mercenary commands...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users