Fix The Vapor Eagle's Hitboxes (With Video)

100 replies to this topic

#1 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

It is extremely easy to hit/core the back of the mech from the front. Fix it.

video evidence

Edited by Jackal Noble, 09 December 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#2 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

Nothing?
It would be great to hear feedback from others that have experienced this

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

I fought against many Vapers. Don't recall my frontal shots hitting them in the back. Were they aiming at yer crotch?

You could always armor up the back more.

#4 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

Played 2 variants to max, haven't noticed anything so far

#5 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

I have the 3 standard variants maxed out, don't particularly recall getting my back cored out that often. They're a bit big so easy to hit, but that's about it.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't want to do this

#7 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:21 PM

Looking at the hitbox picture, it does look like its possible to hit the back from a front angle. I wouldn't call it an easy shot though.

Posted Image

#8 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

I've played every mech in the ultimate pack and never noticed that happen even once.

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

I've dropped ~500 times across the variants and have noticed it many times.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

I've been shot "through" a few times, always chalked it up to the stars aligning and host state rewind. The 'Mech as a whole needs a shrinking in my opinion. It's fine until you come across a pilot who knows their arse from their face and then you lose a side torso. The 4 is particularly vulnerable, in fact I think it's the worst variant by far: those arms have no armour whatsoever and carry all your guns. I've yet to see anyone pilot VGL to any degree of success that wasn't facing potatoes. I dropped in QP last night with it and was sadly alone among the usual plethora of Ebon Jaguars, Mad Cat IIs, Cyclopsii and Piranhas.

#11 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

Less about the vapor eagle and more ofa HSR issue, iv been shot in a fully armored front and lost equipment from the damage magically wrapping around to hit my back on several occasions, why my main mech has extra armor on the back these days - lights just suffer as a byproduct rather than the culprits lol.

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

Sure some of that may have some factor, especially in the case of lights/lag shield like Commandos that just don't die, but in the case of the Vapor Eagle it's almost entirely because you can in fact hit the back of it's side torso armor from the front and core it in pretty quick order.
It's literally a bad Achilles heel, that it does not need. It just needs a hitbox adjustment. Still not near as bad as the Sunspider when that first dropped, Good Lord that was terrible for like 4-5 months.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

logically, should be more like

Posted Image

#14 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:06 AM

Maybe a overtwisting issue?

#15 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostGrus, on 09 December 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

Maybe a overtwisting issue?

No, it's the side torso pods that above the shoulders, the rear armor hitbox extends well into what should be considered side torso armor, specifcally the inner vertical portion towards the head (see Shanrak's picture, then then the one I modified, bottom right overhead) - resulting in the ability for the Vapor to be cored/recieve rear armor damage from very definitely frontal shots.
Look at the pic that I posted from the academy, it's pretty obvious.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 09 December 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#16 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 09 December 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

No, it's the side torso pods that above the shoulders, the rear armor hitbox extends well into what should be considered side torso armor - resulting in the ability for the Vapor to be cored/recieve rear armor damage from very definitely frontal shots.
Look at the pic that I posted from testing grounds, it's pretty obvious.

I mean if youre pixel hunting sure, but even then your talking about maybe 1-2% of the total frontal surface area being able to xfer damage to the back. I onlt see this really being an issue if you have 1-3 points of rear armor.

#17 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

View PostGrus, on 09 December 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

I mean if youre pixel hunting sure, but even then your talking about maybe 1-2% of the total frontal surface area being able to xfer damage to the back. I onlt see this really being an issue if you have 1-3 points of rear armor.

or 7-8, which is very standard, and probably a bit overboard for some. Regardless, I am saying from experience - it's a logical problem - You should not be getting rear damaged from from the front, regardless of 3 armor or 7 or 25 armor.

It's an issue

Edited by Jackal Noble, 09 December 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#18 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 09 December 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

or 7-8, which is very standard, and probably a bit overboard for some. Regardless, I am saying from experience - it's a logical problem - You should not be getting rear damaged from from the front, regardless of 3 armor or 7 or 25 armor.

It's an issue

Meh, i didnt buy it because i didnt see the benifit or the draw from the Stormcrow. Plus, anythin the VE can do, so too can the huntsman...

#19 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

So in essence, you came on here to dispute the veracity of my argument despite not having a Vapor Eagle just to make some noise?

How very Grus like of you Posted Image

View PostGrus, on 09 December 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Meh, i didnt buy it because i didnt see the benifit or the draw from the Stormcrow. Plus, anythin the VE can do, so too can the huntsman...

Further, if that is your opinion on what the Vapor is capable of, you are dead wrong. The only thing it can't do better than the Stormcrow or Huntsman is boat missiles/streaks; It can however carry far heavier launchers.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 09 December 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#20 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 08 December 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

I've been shot "through" a few times, always chalked it up to the stars aligning and host state rewind. The 'Mech as a whole needs a shrinking in my opinion. It's fine until you come across a pilot who knows their arse from their face and then you lose a side torso. The 4 is particularly vulnerable, in fact I think it's the worst variant by far: those arms have no armour whatsoever and carry all your guns. I've yet to see anyone pilot VGL to any degree of success that wasn't facing potatoes. I dropped in QP last night with it and was sadly alone among the usual plethora of Ebon Jaguars, Mad Cat IIs, Cyclopsii and Piranhas.

Pretty much this. MWO and cryengine have always been a wonky combination with the number of hitboxes, mech geometry, and multiplayer latency/server communication.

Sometimes **** happens, I'm sure it can be mitigated but don't hold your breathe for it to be completely removed. Its probably a pretty massive headache for the programmers, speaking as someone who has limited basic programming experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users