Jump to content

Ngng Podcast #169 Mech_Con And Faction Play


64 replies to this topic

#61 Ninjah

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 306 posts
  • LocationComstar Lounge

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:50 AM

Problems with CryEngine: it was very short lived and quite complex and you can't find good coders anymore. No one is using it anymore and if you wanted to build something complex... well good luck finding people who can do it. On the other hand UE is way more developed with heaps of assets, easy coding and much better looking. Name one new game being made in CryEngine? Just one pretty please?

#62 Alreech

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostNinjah, on 22 December 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

Problems with CryEngine: it was very short lived and quite complex and you can't find good coders anymore. No one is using it anymore and if you wanted to build something complex... well good luck finding people who can do it.

MWOs prime problem is not the coding, but bad game play.
You can't fix stupid ideas like Ghost Heat oder 10 different group sizes for matchmaking in group play with an other engine.

Quote

On the other hand UE is way more developed with heaps of assets, easy coding and much better looking. Name one new game being made in CryEngine? Just one pretty please?

Kingdome Come Deliverance. State of Decay. Prey.

Name one game with big open maps made in 2012 with the unreal engine ?
In 2012 the only Unreal Engine aviable was Version 3, basically from 2006.
PGI has had expirience with the Unreal 3 Engine because they did the Multiplayer for Duke Nukem Forever, and decided to use the CryEngine 3 (Released 2009).

#63 50 50

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostAlreech, on 23 December 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

Name one game with big open maps made in 2012 with the unreal engine ?
In 2012 the only Unreal Engine aviable was Version 3, basically from 2006.
PGI has had expirience with the Unreal 3 Engine because they did the Multiplayer for Duke Nukem Forever, and decided to use the CryEngine 3 (Released 2009).


DC Online was done in 2011 with the Unreal 3 engine has multiple big open map areas as well as smaller 'mission' instances and is an MMO.

#64 Alreech

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:14 AM

View Post50 50, on 23 December 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:


DC Online was done in 2011 with the Unreal 3 engine has multiple big open map areas as well as smaller 'mission' instances and is an MMO.

And DC Online use Shooter mechanics (physical simulation of projectiles) like MWO ?

The best Engine for MWO (or any other Mechwarrior game) would be a custom engine specific designed to manage units spamming projectiles from 12 or more weapons while moving fast, and keeping track of 16 sets of hitpoints per unit (armor & structure) and internal components (for the critical hits).
And this dream engine should also handle big open maps and destructable assets (buildings, trees, cars,...)
To be honest, nowaddys even a big studio like DICE would not create a custom engine, even if the customer base would be much bigger than for a Mechwarrior game.

#65 Akillius

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

View PostAlreech, on 24 December 2018 - 03:14 AM, said:

And DC Online use Shooter mechanics (physical simulation of projectiles) like MWO ?

The best Engine for MWO (or any other Mechwarrior game) would be a custom engine specific designed to manage units spamming projectiles from 12 or more weapons while moving fast, and keeping track of 16 sets of hitpoints per unit (armor & structure) and internal components (for the critical hits).
And this dream engine should also handle big open maps and destructable assets (buildings, trees, cars,...)
To be honest, nowaddys even a big studio like DICE would not create a custom engine, even if the customer base would be much bigger than for a Mechwarrior game.

and melee!





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users